Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2015, 09:45   #61

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Marathon / Derelict Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShoes View Post
This is what Yes sir or no sir gets you sometimes....
Maybe not texting or what he was doing would go a long way. I've never be a cop, I would take the job, but I'm damn glad they are out there including wildlife and the Coasties with the ribs and a tripod on the bow for something.

They at generally dealing with the scumb bags of the earth.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:59   #62

Boat: 1967 Chris Craft Cavalier 33'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShoes View Post
Thats called INTIMIDATION, the cop stepped all over your constitutional rights, thats why it was probably thown out.
I didn't have any constitutional rights at the time. I was active duty US Army on R&R. It's called UCMJ. The term "MF" was pretty much common language for me. All we wanted to do was a little fishing before I had to return. The year was 1971.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:30   #63

Just thank God you are in this country. Most LEO officers today need a degree to get in the door. It is not a good old boy system anymore.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:57   #64

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikini Blues View Post
I didn't have any constitutional rights at the time. I was active duty US Army on R&R. It's called UCMJ. The term "MF" was pretty much common language for me. All we wanted to do was a little fishing before I had to return. The year was 1971.
Very familiar with the UCMJ, as I was attached to the USAF OSI section, during my time with Uncle Sam's Cessna & Rocket Club. My first duty was at F.E. Warren AFB Cheyenne Wy. Not much for a fellar to do up there in the winter, cept drink and fight. Had to go downtown every saturday & sunday morning to pick up the boys and bring back to the base. Usually when I got to them, they were already hung over or passed out. As I look back now at those times, I can honestly say them Laramie County Deputies where a great bunch, and never mistreated our guys. Different times different people I guess.

ps. Thank You for your service to our country.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:43   #65

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

There are good cops and bad cops, the good are good and most the bad cops(few as they may be), are still pretty good, then there's that extremely small number of bad cops that are actually bad, which often is in a sort of way ... good.

The problems with the policing officers, as I see it, is the actual officers have become "tools", for the power structure(who usually are not cops and probably don't even understand what cops should be doing.

Cops(and all officers), are being used as "tools", for any number of purposes for governors, mayors, county commissioners or what have you.

The political apparatus has a huge say in what these officers do from day to day. They don't have to tell the cops to do things, but they do hold power over the apparatus ... a sort of, "hand's off" control ... nonetheless ... control.

If it wasn't for mayors and governors wanting more and more money, I'm sure that a large percentage of traffic tickets would not be issued.

If it wasn't for pig-stye(sp), derelict boats being such an eyesore for rich beachfront owners(who usually have political clout), I doubt that so much time would be spent checking otherwise lawful/peaceful boaters.

I'm sure there would be the same "harassment", issues with cops, but I'm willing to bet the number of incidents would be vastly less.

Don't blame the sharp end of a knife(police) for cutting you, when the person holding the knife(political control), was the cause.

In the case of Florida, look at all the ways the political ways(often illegally), the state is trying to limit and harass non-conventional boaters, then realize the LEO is made to be their tool to their own ends.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:47   #66

I know a no. of cops and retired cops, there is no slack for them as a good old boy system. At least in Fl. and SC. They won't over drink and hit the road knowing getting stopped showing a Patsy won't buy them a thing. I have no idea were the cop bashing comes from. Probably the same with the Wild Life cops. Just people doing a job which has more down side than upside. I know two that quit the NYPD one retired years ago, since being subjected and cleared by a Grand Jury was not worth it.

Sure, I'm sure there are some bad cops or over power happy cops. I'll bet it is damn few. It's a good headline for the media sadly.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:53   #67

Boat: Skookum 53'

My experience with the police has been positive, whether they be wildlife enforcement, state troopers, city cops, or USCG. Most people in these areas honestly want to help people and make a difference, and protect the things that we all value as a society. Like clean seas, plentiful wildlife, and fish, not just for us, but future generations. Being in enforcement is mostly a thankless job, where you have to take a boat load of crap, smile and say "thank you, have a nice day." There are always going to be a few that are officious and nasty, but you can find that at your local hardware store manager too.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:56   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
My experience with the police has been positive, whether they be wildlife enforcement, state troopers, city cops, or USCG. Most people in these areas honestly want to help people and make a difference, and protect the things that we all value as a society. Like clean seas, plentiful wildlife, and fish, not just for us, but future generations. Being in enforcement is mostly a thankless job, where you have to take a boat load of crap, smile and say "thank you, have a nice day." There are always going to be a few that are officious and nasty, but you can find that at your local hardware store manager too.
Old 07-02-2015, 19:08   #69

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Perhaps the officer wasn't looking for "derelict boats". Perhaps the citation was for something else. The OP has made an invalid assumption and has posted based on that invalid assumption.
They were... I asked the guy driving the marina pumpout boat later on.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:29   #70

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Ok, so are we to understand that the LEO had gotten a ride in the pumpout boat? If so, it's highly unlikely that the LEO was USCG or FWC since those organizations have their own boats, and lots of them.

That leaves us with the Monroe County Sheriff's Department or the City of Marathon Police Department (assuming there is such an organization).

I find it curious that a LEO would ride out in the pumpout boat to look at just one boat unless there was some prior reason. Perhaps the pumpout boat driver wasn't told everything?

We'll probably never know unless the boat's owner tells us what it was about.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:16   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post

There is a reason hearsay isn't admitted in courts.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:16   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Ok, so are we to understand that the LEO had gotten a ride in the pumpout boat? If so, it's highly unlikely that the LEO was USCG or FWC since those organizations have their own boats, and lots of them.

That leaves us with the Monroe County Sheriff's Department or the City of Marathon Police Department (assuming there is such an organization).

I find it curious that a LEO would ride out in the pumpout boat to look at just one boat unless there was some prior reason. Perhaps the pumpout boat driver wasn't told everything?

We'll probably never know unless the boat's owner tells us what it was about.
Don't know the situation in Marathon but in our neck of the woods all pumpout boats belong to a particular harbormaster's office. So theoretically it would not be out of line for any of the harbormaster's personnel to hitch a ride in one if their regular boats were unavailable for some reason.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:55   #73

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Hum we have the answers with knowing nothing.
Why not ask him.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-02-2015, 07:58   #74

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Local hardware manager, doesnt go through extensive training at the tax payers expense. Cannot abuse his power under color of law, usually not on steroids, hasnt sworn an oath to protect and defend the Constitution. No it isnt the same.

I have never had a run in with police, never as much as a speeding ticket, I dont spend much time on land these days. I did have a couple encounters with the coasties, who I found to be very professional and courteous. I have been boarded and given a golden ticket both times, as I maintain my vessel according to the established rules. On one occasion while returning from one of my trips to Fidel's island, rafted up with the coasties, and enjoyed some brats and pepsi's. They even put on the footies I offered them over their boots when they wanted to come aboard for a visit (aka look see). Good guys, though they did mention they have had some ******* that didnt last long.

Land cops on the other hand, too much can be found in the papers, online news outlets, killing of innocent people, recently with this Geer feller being shot with hands in the air and gun on the ground, all this property forfeiture by local cops when no crime has been committed, people just plain being robbed by police under color of law, harassment of homeless people, like the one they killed out in arizona who was living in the hills, and there is more and more if you look and stop being in denial. Read, educate yourself, and dont turn a blind eye. The police are killing people, beating them up, lying under oath, covering up their actions, making a reason to arrest someone, or causing a reason. Like the defense lawyer in California, that the cops arrested for resisting arrest. There is a video, and showed clearly there was no resisting.

The argument that this is political, no it isnt, this is actual happenings in law enforcement against the citizens who are supposed to be protected by the Constitution. That pisses me off.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:22   #75
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

"I have been boarded and given a golden ticket both times"(quote)

Did you get to meet the oompah loom pa's? :-)
Closed Thread