Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2017, 11:42   #1

Marina Key Largo Stay in June

We are lake sailors. Finally have a tow rig to pull the san Juan 26 shoal keel for a vacation.

We will mostly stay at the marina for use of the air conditoning but want to take some trips out when weather is nice for fishing, snorkeling and i love sailing. Will have a genrator for running fridge and ac when out.

Being lake sailors we dont worry about tides or currents or sea grass but will on this trip and want to know what to expect.

Is there a marina that you guys would recommend for more protected sailing?

I have a 9.9 4stroke and less than 3ft draft.

2 deep reefs on main and hank ons from storm to need a crew to tack.
Thanks in advance
dohcdelsol93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 12:17   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Marina Key Largo Stay in June

Nice marinas in Key Largo but probably expensive. We anchored and used the dive buoys on the edge of the outer reef for four years of cruising and diving You only need A/C in the marinas where the mosquitoes are often bad.

Very benign sailing and anchoring hadest part might be finding somewhere to park the car and trailer. South Dade marine north of Largo is a cheap put in and secure parking.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 13:09   #3

Is it really cool enough to handle june days on the boat or bimini to survive without ac?

Im fine in our inland sc lakes without ac but the admiral is not.

We have a 22lbs danforth i usually use. 40 ft 3/8 chain and 100 foot of rode.

I have a back up 18lbs with 5 ft chain and 40 ft rode.

Also have a 30lbs swivel plow anchor that has yet to see water. The 22 alone holds us well even in a blow(mudd clay bottom).

Living on the hook would be amazing but I'm not so sure i can talk her into it. My son and i spend from a weekend to ten days living off the hook.

I was looking at a few marinas that provide 30 and 50 amp power. They also have pools and showers so if the weather isnt good for sailing we have other options other than sitting in the boat. We only have a 7days plus the 12 hour trip one way.

I am a salior, the little lady just puts up with it so i want it comfortable for her
Old 14-01-2017, 13:11   #4

Im looking at 400-500 for a week which i dont consider bad for a weeks use of facilities.
Old 15-01-2017, 09:05   #5

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

For a one week deal I think your marina plan is wise. You will have more options if you get a bad weather day. I'm not sure why you pick Key Largo. Depending on your interests you might find something more to your liking further south. Although the Pennekamp Marine park is nice?
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 09:41   #6

Boat: Hunter 30

We trailered our C22 from St Louis to the Holiday Marina in Key Largo. This was 17 years ago so call them to check out what I'm telling you. There was a launch ramp down the canal from the marina but it was very short and difficult to retrieve the boat even with a tongue extension. We had use of all of the Holiday Inns facilities including showers and pool.
We would day sail out to Rodriquez Key or Molasses Reef and snorkel. We also sailed north to the Christ statue to snorkel all very easy. Tons of restaurants and tourist traps to visit. In my opinion a week is not enough. You will spend a day launching and a day retrieving. Largo Shopper, a grocery, was walking distance. Big minus was the charter fleet goes in and out almost 24/7. Also looky loos who walk the docks and try to look in your boat.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 11:31   #7

Early or late June? Can get to 90's in late June and humid. My gf and I once stayed in a motel that had a boat dock in back, parking on premises for rig. It was boca grande or gasparilla island tho. It was great. Wake up, load cooler with ice, drinks, lunch, step on to boat, sail all day, home in evening, shower, out for dinner, AC and queen bed for sleep, repeat! I totally get the marina thing for the ladies. Don't underestimate the launching and retrieve it location! I bought an O'Day 25 down there off eBay, googled boat ramp and saw a ton nearby where I was to get the boat. Got down there and all Ramos except public ramp were private and looked at sailors like third world people! Public ramp had low power lines across its ramp, ended up asking a home owner to borrow his ramp. Some boat launch facilities actually used cranes to lift off trailers for $$$. Usually rains every day or so starting in June, but usually in the afternoon? Shallow water gulf side but deep Atlantic side. Can be calm as glass or choppy and rolly, tide range is prob a couple of feet from high to low? So anchor in over 6 feet at high tide should not hit bottom on low? Except full moon tides? Check local info. Great fishing- license required, awesome snorkelling/diving, Lou key is terrific, as other reads, and close in. Enjoy, fans help alot, do u know what noseums are?
Sailormanbigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 14:41   #8

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

I would look for a Marina, should not cost that much for that size boat. Go to ''Active Captain'' ''CruisingGuide.com'', ''Marinas.com''. They show facilities and rates. We get asked this question 2-3 times a week. Use the internet, get current information, contact information and rates.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 20:08   #9

Ive called a few marinas. Im trying to stick to gulf side.

I was more looking for protected water marinas rather than budget marinas.

Something protected well in storms or just constant wind.

Found a few that dont like sailboats. Found a few ill have to bring a bike on board to ride a few miles back to the ramp from the marina.

I have an electric winch to raise the mast. I can raise it with a beer in hand in less than ten min. Takes longer to untangle everything. Im in the water in less than an hour. Now getting the rigging dialed in usually takes me all summer

Most important is protected waters. Lady gets nervous sailing in a blow. Panic attacks are not fun when we are on the lake. Just putting her in irons to reef, the beating of the sails can send her over the edge.

So our first experience together in salt water i want gradual.

Im 12 hours from marathon Florida. Day down. 7 days on the water, day back and a day to recover Then back to work. Id rather have a month.

And yes im familiar with no see ums. Got screens! The mosquitoes in the south will carry you away.
Old 17-01-2017, 10:12   #10

Boat: temporarily boatless...

The only one I know of on the intracoastal side (I believe this is what you mean by the "gulf side?") of Key Largo, and I hesitate to call it a proper marina, is Gilberts (107900 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL 33037). Don't expect much in the way of services, or for anyone to answer your call on VHS or phone, but it has docks and utilities and there is a restaurant and bar (the latter is pretty much the main focus).

On the ocean side I have stayed at Marina del Mar many times (although not for a couple of years), as well as at Pilot House Marina, both are good and in walking distance of many bars, restaurants, grocery, drug store, etc. But you have to venture out into the ocean, albeit the somewhat protected Hawk Channel, but still not as protected as Card/Barnes/Blackwater Sound and the like where Gilbert's is located.

Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 14:46   #11

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
The only one I know of on the intracoastal side (I believe this is what you mean by the "gulf side?") of Key Largo, and I hesitate to call it a proper marina, is Gilberts (107900 Overseas Highway, Key Largo, FL 33037). Don't expect much in the way of services, or for anyone to answer your call on VHS or phone, but it has docks and utilities and there is a restaurant and bar (the latter is pretty much the main focus).

On the ocean side I have stayed at Marina del Mar many times (although not for a couple of years), as well as at Pilot House Marina, both are good and in walking distance of many bars, restaurants, grocery, drug store, etc. But you have to venture out into the ocean, albeit the somewhat protected Hawk Channel, but still not as protected as Card/Barnes/Blackwater Sound and the like where Gilbert's is located.

Pete

On the bayside you have Mangrove marina in Tavernier and Plantation yacht harbor more towards Islamorada.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 06:51   #12

Thank you so much for the info.

After lots of negotiation we found a middle ground.

We booked a canal front home in marathon that is a short kayak paddle to the city mooring field.

Instead of bringing my sj26 im picking up a chrystler multineer 15 this weekend to take along with the kayaks. I'll take off a couple mornings at dawn and set out for either the bay or even the Atlantic depending on weather or even stay in the bay if its not suitable outside of protected waters.

Ill get my sailing fix in and the next time we make it down she will feel better knowing i have a feel for the tides and terrain. Maybe i can just throw an eu2000 on board with an ac unit and be good to go staying in the city mooring next summer. Probably wont be a waiting period in June.
Old 18-01-2017, 06:52   #13

And please forgive me for the lingo. Ive never been south of venice or on a sailboat outside of lake Hartwell. By gulf side i did mean the bay.
Old 18-01-2017, 18:01   #14

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohcdelsol93 View Post
And please forgive me for the lingo. Ive never been south of venice or on a sailboat outside of lake Hartwell. By gulf side i did mean the bay.

Down in marathon they call it gulf side and here in the upper keys we call it bayside. One and the same though.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key largo