Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2019, 12:40   #1

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)
Marinas in St Maarten - current status Oct 2019?

I'm in Grenada now and considering leaving the boat in St Maartin (either side) for ~two months from Nov to Jan. Searching for marinas both here and on Google show some that look open and fine, but when I look at the satellite view on Google maps it seems there are others that don't show up on searches - or at least there used to be. Nearly all the views seem to be pre-hurricanes so I realize (and I am saddened by) that some probably have not yet recovered.

For example there seems to be a big marina with a travel lift and a big yard just west of Island Water World in Simpson Bay, but I can't figure out what it is.

I'm considering either being on a dock or possibly being hauled out. Security is most important but I don't need fancy amenities (although I do like them). For my own peace of mind I don't want to leave the boat on a mooring.

Thanks for latest status/advice.

JR
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 17:51   #2

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: Marinas in St Maarten - current status Oct 2019?

Also, interested wjat others say. We looked at Bobby's Marina on the Dutch side. Emailed them Sunday, but haven't heard from them yet.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 17:55   #3

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)

Interesting. I emailed the IGY marina on Sunday and also haven't heard back.
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 18:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_spyder View Post
Interesting. I emailed the IGY marina on Sunday and also haven't heard back.
Yea, I saw that marina on satellite view as well and couldn't figure out what it was called. Maybe someone will chime in and help us out. I also, don't have my cruising guide with me at work so I can't reference that.
Old 01-10-2019, 18:58   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Contact Shrimpy on the French side. He seems to know all.

Shrimpy's Yacht Support

We anchored in Marigot harbor last season. Dutch side appears quite intact. The French side, not so much. You can get in the lagoon and get around. Most derelict vessels are removed or out of the way.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 19:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Contact Shrimpy on the French side. He seems to know all.

Shrimpy's Yacht Support

We anchored in Marigot harbor last season. Dutch side appears quite intact. The French side, not so much. You can get in the lagoon and get around. Most derelict vessels are removed or out of the way.
Cool, thanks!

Any marina recommendations? Or does Shrimpy have all that?
Old 01-10-2019, 19:45   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

He should be able to say who is open, who is not. Shrimpy runs the morning net for cruisers.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:26   #8

Boat: Lagoon 420 42 feet

island water world at cole bay is the area you are thinking about. the boat repair yard is about 100-feet away and is not a part of the marina although i have had work done at that yard. pricing and work quality is good. speak to renee tuerlings at island water world for a slip. he runs the marina and the budget marine store. i have left my boat there for months between november and may and there has never been a problem there. when they use to rent slips for hurricane season i have kept it there too without incident. the area looks a little sketchy but it is safe and simpson bay is nearby. strongly recommend renting a car
johnnyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:09   #9

Boat: Bristol 41.1

All the boat yards on the Dutch side are functional. The IGY yard was pretty beat up but offers some slips. The large boat yard 100 yards west of Island Water World is Bobbies (he has 3 yards). I don't know if they offer slips. I kept my boat in the Island Water World marina last Dec. / Jan and it is an excellent marina. Good security but light on amenities.
The marina on the French side in Marigot Bay is fully functional.
Old 15-10-2019, 09:00   #10

Boat: Vagabond 42

The yard near Island Water World is Bobbys Mega Yard. It is a good yard. The area is fine and the yard has good security. Our boat was there for Hurricane Irma and was repaired there. Custom Fit Marine is a GREAT firm in St Martin if you need significant work. Regarding marinas, IWW marina is a good working marina for doing maintenance but it isn't all that nice. Simpson Bay Marina (IGY) is going to be open with water and power back to the docks (so they say). I have a reservation there starting mid November. Beware of Isle de Sol (another IGY marina) it would take us an hour and a half to get from the marina to the bridge! Port de Plaisance Yacht Club marina is also taking reservations but their rates and a good bit more than Simpson Bay Marina. Fort Saint Louis marina in Marigot is so surgy I would be worried about my cleats pulling out of the deck! They haven't even started rebuilding Anse Marcel yet. Callisto will be back in St Martin this season. We were in Antigua last season but missed St Martin's duty free shipping and the proximity to Anguilla and St Barts.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 14:13   #11

Can you give info for Rates on ST Maarten... Any info on Lagoonies?

Thanks
Ohanakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 14:33   #12

I am paying about $950 a month for a 50' slip at Simpson Bay Marina on a 8 month contract. Lagoonies is cheaper but they raft up boats together and I am not big on the idea of having people crossing my boat to get to their boats. Plus it is a hassle when I want to go out.
Old 15-10-2019, 15:02   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
I am paying about $950 a month for a 50' slip at Simpson Bay Marina on a 8 month contract. Lagoonies is cheaper but they raft up boats together and I am not big on the idea of having people crossing my boat to get to their boats. Plus it is a hassle when I want to go out.
Geeze, we paid $2000/ season at Harbor Town in Muskegon. Power, toilets, showers, trash removal, water. Near Dockers restaurant, Friday, Saturday, Sunday free live bands.

I love my Rocna!
Old 15-10-2019, 16:40   #14

Welcome to the Caribbean.
Old 16-10-2019, 05:37   #15
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
That's a pretty fair rate. The best value I've found in the Leewards (Greater Antilles) though is Palmas del Mar on PR. It's $1000/mo for my catamaran on a 6 month commitment. It's only 60nm to USVI and the island has about everything you would need as a liveaboard. I'm heading there in May.

It's become near impossible to get out of the water hurricane insurance now. No Bahamas, No Atlantic coast of Florida within 1 mile of shore. They have no problem with Puerto del Ray though as after Irma and Maria nearly all boats were ok. But that yard is quite expensive. Twice what I'm paying in Freeport.

Tags
current, marinas