Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2017, 12:30   #16

Boat: Samson C Mist 32
Re: Maybe Wrong Forum . . . Questions re: ICW

I experienced the ICW a couple of times around 1980, in a 6-foot draft sailboat.There were long stretches of straight ditches, but "boring" is in the mind. We even found occasional - not many - opportunities to raise sail. If you have the time, there are lots of interesting things to see along the way. Definitely get the Waterway Guide if you are considering the ICW.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 12:48   #17

Boat: Morgan 452

Just to add in a few thoughts -

Not sure where you are buying the boat in NY, but it probably means that you will need to go offshore down the Jersey coast. It's an overnight run. Then, if you are going that far, you might as well stay in Cape May for the night, then do a second overnight run off the Delmarva Peninsula and come in at the mouth of the Chesapeake. It'll save you an easy week of day hops to do that.

Next, you are going to be running through the Albermarle and Pamlico sounds - if the wind is right, you can sail them, but you are literally looking at a few hours each time. Other than that, you are motoring.

Once in the Cape Fear River, you can sail again, until you get to Southport. After that, you are motoring until you get to Winyah Bay.

On the other hand, you can go out at Beaufort, do an overnight and come in at Cape Fear. Then out at Cape Fear and in at Winyah Bay or Charleston. Pop out again and you can be in Saint Augustine by the next day.

By doing overnight hops offshore (assuming you and the boat can handle it), you can be in Florida from Sandy Hook, NJ, in a week and a half.
CaptFrankM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 12:52   #18

Boat: Albin 25

Which will be the better ICW guide(s)?
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 13:36   #19

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1churchmouse View Post
Thanks very much for all of the great information and suggestions! I'm going to look at a *56* year old boat next week! It's listed here. It's a 1961 Rhodes Swiftsure 33. I've only ever owned a Tanzer and that was only for 2 or 3 summers, so I know I have a lot to learn. Thanks again!
I remember when that was posted. Great looking boat with a shoal draft perfect for Florida & the Bahamas. I believe it has the original Atomic 4 for power which you'll need to make sure is running well. I'd also want to check out the centerboard which needs to be done with the boat in the slings.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 13:52   #20

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
NYC to Miami is about 1000 miles. ......
And yet it is over 1,000 miles from Norfolk, VA to Miami, FL.
Old 26-08-2017, 14:15   #21

Boat: Valiant 40
Maybe Wrong Forum . . . Questions re: ICW

Swiftsure! Lovely boat!

Will be a great boat for doing the ICW. I agree you can do some easy hops, Beaufort to Wrightsville Beach, Southport to Georgetown. I'm actually very fond of the stretch from there to Charleston. Then outside again to Florida. Not a huge fan of the Georgia portion.

If you do take offshore hops time it so you're entering inlets during daylight. Have done a few of those at night and can be nerve wracking. Winyah Bay can be particularly unpleasant in the dark. For most of them you leave mid-day and arrive the following morning.

Dozier's Waterway Guide is probably the best printed guide, but all the info you need can be found on Active Captain for free, and is more current and comprehensive.
Old 26-08-2017, 14:49   #22

Thank you Scout 30!
1churchmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 15:51   #23

Quote:
Thank you Scout 30!
You're welcome. I hope she looks as good in person as she does in the pics. A real classic that deserves a good home. Will you be bringing her to the Tampa Bay area? We're just north of Tarpon Springs.
Old 26-08-2017, 16:05   #24

Not sure as yet. Is that a good spot?
1churchmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 16:24   #25

Boat: Kanter Yachts Steel Spray 38

Quote:
I'm wondering about the ICW. Thinking of possible purchase of a boat in NY but would like to move it to West side of Florida. Never done this before. How many days, roughly, does it take, and assuming that it is do-able, I'm assuming it's under power all the way, is that correct? Thanks for any info. Much appreciated!
FWIW, we left St Petersburg, FL on April 29th, and stopped in Oriental, NC end of June. We did between 7-10 hour days, usually around 40-60NM per day, depending on how we felt. We motored most of the way, except across the Okeechobee waterway. Make sure you check with the Army Corp of Engineers if you plan to cut across FL- controlling depth was only 5'6" when we crossed, and we draft 4'6". Bumped a few times, ran dead aground going 5.5kn cutting a corner close (waited 4 hours for the tide), even though the charts and GPS both said I should have been in 9' of water. Sucked up so many 1/4" clams that they clogged my filter. Sucked up Jellyfish later, in the Chesapeake, which also clogged my engine filter. You should make sure you put in some time for these types of "challenges," as they will happen, and more so with an older boat. But as Bob Bitchen says, "Attitude- the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." Buy the boat, enjoy the trip! BTW, you CAN go outside for short hops if you like, being careful of the weather. We did not, as the Admiral is not fond of big waves...
TKDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 16:29   #26

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
There are many variables:
You cannot travel at night, tides can affect speed and depth in some places such that some days you might only be underway for 4-5hrs/day, good days 10hrs. Bridge openings cause delays.
Why not just enjoy the journey and not worry about the destination.
"Why not just enjoy the journey and not worry about the destination?" GREAT advice, for boating AND life in general. Every year, "get-there-itis" kills pilots and sailors. Not likely in the ditch, but as Harry Chapin observed, "It's got to be the going, not the getting there, that's good.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 17:17   #27

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Draft on that boat appears to be 3.5 feet with centerboard up, so you should not run aground, except maybe in Georgia. I think mast height is about 40 feet, so no big issues there, aside from waiting for the bascule bridge openings. Since you seem to have limited sailing experience, if I were you I would stay in the ICW until at least Beaufort, NC (of course excepting the outside from NY to Chesapeake). Do not do the ICW at night - there are places where the crab pots are quite close to the center of the channel. From Beaufort, you can go outside to Masonboro Inlet, then to Cape Fear Channel via Snow's Cut, and outside again from Cape Fear to Georgetown Inlet and anchor near the lighthouse. Then outside again to Charleston. From Charleston to Hilton Head it is about even between ICW and outside, because the entrance to Port Royal Sound is so long. From Hilton Head to St Simons/Brunswick, outside is better, and also St Simons to Mayport. From Mayport, IMHO, stay inside, even though it's boring. And stay inside any time you are not sure if the weather is too rough. Get a waterway guide, and get a navigation software app like Garmin Bluechart that has Active Captain info about marinas, etc. Just my two cents.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 17:27   #28

Boat: 32 Rival

After reading your question and reading all the answers. if you have to ask that question, you shouldn't be buying a boat. Simple as that...............
Old 26-08-2017, 17:28   #29

Quote:
Not sure as yet. Is that a good spot?
It's great if you're looking for a cheap waterfront home. If you're looking for a live aboard marina I'd recommend the St Pete Municipal Marina. If you don't have a destination in mind I'd head for Boot Key in Marathon AFTER hurricane season.
Old 26-08-2017, 17:33   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradyho View Post
After reading your question and reading all the answers. if you have to ask that question, you shouldn't be buying a boat. Simple as that...............
Everybody starts somewhere.

Tags
icw, rum