Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2011, 06:51   #16

Re: Miami night time approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I would strongly advise against entering Miami's Government Cut at night if you have not done it before a few times - unless - you are only going to anchor behind (south of) Fisher Island.
+1 for pulling into the south of Fisher Island to anchor until daylight.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 08:03   #17

Boat: Boatless

And it is so easy to run aground south of Fisher you might not even need to use the anchor.

However, it is probably easier to feel your way in there than to mess with the ICW and if the 'Gin Palaces' that berth at Fisher Island can get in at night I am sure a competent sailor can.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 09:34   #18

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Thks, I thought about the channel south of Key Biscayne, but with East winds I figure that be dangerous and looks like a lot of 6' charted depths, how many uncharted shallow spots are there?
Tom
Teejay, I've sailed a friend's CT56 that draws 6 1/2 feet through there at low tide with plenty of water under the keel. If you come in through the channel along Key Biscayne, stay in the middle of the approach channel before you reach KB and then once past the SE tip Of KB where there is shoaling to the north, head for the water along shore. Stay relatively close to the island as it shoals to the south. If you look at your charts of that area you'll see it is an easy approach and its 10-14 feet of water. When it's really blowy, I would use that as my entrance into Biscayne Bay since it will be less lumpy than the deep narrow channel of Government Cut that can be messy. It is very well charted and I wouldn't hesitate if you have studied the charts before your approach and follow the markers into the channel. We have entered there for years in all conditions and it is fine. Good luck and good sailing, Ron
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 11:03   #19

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

Thanks for info, I definitely wasn't going to try to navigation ICW in the dark, hence the reason for anchoring behind fisher to wait for daylight. As it turns out, winds are 6-9 from NNE here in west palm, so I will wait for another day. Since I'm still working, I have only limited window on w/e to travel and that sometimes requires night landfalls, not a big deal if all markets have lights, I use this new technology called GPS, it helps a lot :-)
One last ? so I can better estimate my travel time, any idea on GS current close to shore (100-500' depths).
Thx Ron, I may try that if I make a daylight approach. You seem to be talking about the Cape Florida channel, where do I break off Biscayne channel, before R6 or after? There is no markers for channel except for the a few markers on the west entrance, hence my confusion.
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 12:25   #20

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Teejay, you won't have to worry about draft in your boat. When you approach the channel, stay close to the red markers before you set your course for KB. Here's the sequence: FLR 2.5 16ft 4sec "2" to R4 to R8. From R8 set your course to the NW off the tip of KB and follow the shoreline West about 30 to 40 yards offshore. If you're going to anchor for the night, follow the channel around the SW tip of KB and anchor in Nixon's anchorage. You will have a great light show at night with the skyline of Miami as your backdrop. Good, cleaning holding in sand- 10-20 feet. Just be aware that there is shoal water East of the tip of KB and then North on your approach. We have never found the 6 foot spot shown on the chart in the channel. Good luck and good sailing, Ron
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami