Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 09:07   #1

Miami to Bahamas Passage

We are currently looking at areas that may be a good place for us to learn how to sail. We are looking at New Orleans (family there), and Ft Lauderdale (job potential). Our goals are to eventually cruise the world when we retire, with plenty of cross-atlantic trips on the way to retirement.

I was doing a little research on sailing to the Bahamas and realized that this isn't something you can just hop in your boat and do. Can someone explain the dangers of making this passage and why? Would these same cautions need to be considered when planning a trip to Europe from the US?
Furian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:39   #2

Found lots of good info here, http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...dog-32324.html
Furian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:54   #3

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
The gulf stream is the largest surface current in the world, exceeding the volume of the Amazon River. Obviously this pushes anyone in it north. The other problem is that wind against current creates steep seas, so the gulf stream can get very rough in north winds. With south winds, you have both the current and wind pushing you north.

That said, with a bit of thought and waiting for the right weather, it's not particularly challenging.

If you will have windows of a few weeks or more, then the Bahamas can offer a wonderful cruising area convenient to SE Florida. Day and weekend sails in Biscayne Bay with a yearly cruise to the Bahamas and maybe a shorter cruise of the keys would not be a bad life.

I have a few thoughts about my gulf stream crossing tactics on my website:

bahamasmariner.com/abaocs
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:00   #4

I am VERY new to sail as well. From my readings the Bahamas is about 50 miles from FL. Equiptment and conditons has to be important but it is only 50 miles. I could kayak that may could swim it but I think the Atlantic is another can of worms. I could only guess it's around 100x more of a challenge. Some boats can do one and not the other safely. A great goal no the less!
whiteH2Okayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:11   #5

The Bahamas are only a daysail away from the east coast of Florida. When the weather is good, prevailing winds are from the east so you frequently wind up motor sailing. The reason you don't just hop in your boat and go is the Gulf Stream. It flows northward along the east coast of Florida at speeds up to 4 knots. You simply adjust course to account for this or even take advantage of it when making the crossing. But if the current is opposed by north winds, nasty steep faced waves can build up very quickly. If the current or forecasted winds contain any northerly component, it is best to wait for a weather "window." You will find lots of cruisers waiting for weather to make the crossing from south Florida - especially in the winter when continental cold fronts bring north winds which then clock to different directions before disipating.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:35   #6

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteH2Okayaker View Post
I am VERY new to sail as well. From my readings the Bahamas is about 50 miles from FL. Equiptment and conditons has to be important but it is only 50 miles. I could kayak that may could swim it but I think the Atlantic is another can of worms. I could only guess it's around 100x more of a challenge. Some boats can do one and not the other safely. A great goal no the less!
Good first sentence. There's a lot to learn (but it's not difficult).

There are circumnavigators who have written that crossing the GS was the most challenging part of their journey. I have no doubt that you could kayak or maybe swim it, but to do so when the wind has a northerly component will make you regret it at best.

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:12   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Actually, boaters in S Florida jump in their boats and pop over to the Bahamas all the time. As was pointed out, it's only 50 miles. No way to compare this on any level with a trip from Europe.

Yes from fall to spring there is the chance of a front from the north that could kick up the Gulf Stream. In mid winter it's pretty common to sit and wait out a string of cold fronts and it could take days or weeks. In the summer there's a chance for a hurricane and occasional afternoon thunderstorms that can get nasty.

Just check the weather before you leave. Hurricanes and cold fronts don't appear from nowhere in a matter of a few hours. It's only 8-10 hours even in a relatively small, slow sailboat. Afternoon thunderstorms might pop up on short notice but out on the ocean you can see the cumulonimbus building from 50 miles away.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 19:03   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Actually, the Bahamas is one of the best "training areas" for new sailors. After a prudent crossing there are numerous deserted and populated islands, great open stretches of shallow water and "gin-clear" water for swimming, snorkeling and diving.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 09:30   #9

I am new here but have been lurking for a long time reading all the great info here on my way toward the dream. I cannot add to the sailing to the Bahamas part but I can help with the Big Easy part. I am from New Orleans and grew up sailing Lake Ponchartrain on everything from a Nacra up to 32' Mono's. I also actively crewed on a few race teams on 36' Mono's in the LPRC racing series in the lake for about 10 years. The lake is a great place to learn sailing and grow skills. It seems like you can encounter almost every condition in the same day out there sometimes. Sometimes we would go out for the day and you'll have light wind, heavy wind, no wind, heavy wind, have a storm kick up then die off and get calm again. Very fun ever changing sailing experience. Cruise through the Rigolets and you are out in the Gulf. Very active sailing community and the food and people cannot be beat.
Far Niente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 14:18   #10

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
We have just returned from our 6th extended Bahamas cruise. Yes they are close to the US and there is no need for extended passages, but don't start thinking of them as the "kiddie pool" of cruising. There are a lot of things that can go wrong.

This year alone we know personally of two boaters who had to be flown out due to injuries, one boat that went aground at Rum Cay and sank (no loss of life), and a megayacht that went on the reef at Conception and had to be salvaged for big bucks. Add to that boats that drug anchor in high winds with boats nearby sending dinghies to try to keep them from dragging into another vessel, boats that lost power going into a narrow cut against the wind, snorkelers carried away from their boat by currents, and a dozen other problems I would probably remember given a few minutes to think. That is this year alone.

We love the Bahamas but don't think that just because they are close that you don't need to be well prepared and careful.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 05:09   #11

Boat: Chrysler 22
Re: Miami to Bahamas Passage

I'm looking at making the crossing this spring/summer. Many, many different factors to take into consideration as I'll be crossing in a C22. Ain't nothing like reviving an old thread! RISE LAZARUS! RISEEE!
Sea_Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, miami