Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 17:19   #1

Miami to Norfolk

Hey everyone,

This is the first time I’ve posted on here and am in need of advice. I just bought a Beneteau 50 in Miami and she is a beauty. My wife and I intend to use the boat for our family in the Norfolk/Hampton area this coming summer. However, we have an assignment in Hawaii for the next 5 months starting in November. Taking the boat is not an option. Should I find hard storage in Florida or somewhere on the East Coast? Should I attempt the sail to VA right now? If so, anyone wanting to join in? Let me know your thoughts please!

Thanks.
svturningpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 17:42   #2

Re: Miami to Norfolk

Well first of all, it is November...

I would recommend you go ahead and find a spot for it in Miami if you don't have the time to wait for good weather to go North. Especially when you have a schedule that looks like you have little time for ducking in if bad weather hits. You are, however, only three days away from Georgia, which would cut down the trip to Norfolk and get you out for a sail.
carlylelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 18:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If cost is no problem then find a place to store the boat in Miami. If you're on a budget and have time AND the boat is ready to go, move it a little farther north in Florida. Generally the farther north you go, the cheaper it is.

One close option is Indiantown. A bit out of the way but cheap and well protected from weather.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 19:02   #4

Have you paid Florida sales tax? I believe you'll also need to register the boat with Florida (even if it's documented).

After you take her to Virginia, you'll need to register it there. But it's no big deal and you'll get credit for the Florida sales tax.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:58   #5

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Skipmac is right (as usual). You will save a bundle by heading further north in FL, even Ft Pierce will be significantly different. Miami is about as bad as it gets for cost.

As far as leaving now goes, you will find the frequency and intensity of cold fronts will make it problematic, you need 8-10 days for that trip (nonstop) and the likelihood of having a cold front in that period is high (more as you go further north). Leave in May and enjoy the trip, with generally favorable winds!

I've made that trip several times in both directions, if you need any other info let us know.

Pete

PS, I may be interested in joining you, but not during the winter... I live in FL for a reason!
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:18   #6

Boat: Hylas 49

Congrats!
You might look for a private dock. Much cheaper than a marina. (Paid 250 a month for my 44. Your broker may be able to help. Wait until April, pick a good window and ride the gS up in about 4 days.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 17:07   #7

I’m gonna take the solid advice and land the boat on the hard in Fort Pierce. Pete, I would love to have someone aboard who has made the journey before! Let me know if you want to make a spring run at it!
svturningpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 17:34   #8

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Just let me know when you're getting ready to go and I will definitely join you if I can!!! I can even help you get your boat back in the water beforehand, if you need someone local. Not for pay, I don't take money for anything, just happy to see you fulfill your dream. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 17:42   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If cost is no problem then find a place to store the boat in Miami. If you're on a budget and have time AND the boat is ready to go, move it a little farther north in Florida. Generally the farther north you go, the cheaper it is.

One close option is Indiantown. A bit out of the way but cheap and well protected from weather.
I love Indiantown, we are there right now but I believe his nast height and draught would be an issue.
Old 04-11-2017, 20:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Congrats!
You might look for a private dock. Much cheaper than a marina. (Paid 250 a month for my 44. Your broker may be able to help. Wait until April, pick a good window and ride the gS up in about 4 days.
You found a liveaboard allowed dock for a 44 in FL at 250/month?

Wow. Where is that?
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami