Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 22:27   #1

Boat: J24 freight puppy
Mobile Bay to the BVI

Has anyone ever sailed from the Alabama coast to the BVI? I am making plans for such a trip sometime between November and June 2011. I am looking for all types of gouge for this trip starting with the route. Is it less than desirable to head south between Mexico and Cuba on a beam reach going south close to Panama and turn to close haul the rest of the way to Virgin Gorda?
RayLChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 08:13   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayLChase View Post
Has anyone ever sailed from the Alabama coast to the BVI? I am making plans for such a trip sometime between November and June 2011. I am looking for all types of gouge for this trip starting with the route. Is it less than desirable to head south between Mexico and Cuba on a beam reach going south close to Panama and turn to close haul the rest of the way to Virgin Gorda?
I did it last month in a Bene 47. Straight shot to Key West (3 days I seem to recall) then rode the Gulf Stream up to the North West and North East Providence channels then bashed out into the atlantic for a couple of days before being able to free off for a nice trade-wind run to Virgin Gorda.

I would think that going South of Cuba etc is going to add a huge amount of unnecessary miles and my experience of getting from the Western Caribbean side over to the Virgins has been that it is extremely hard work!

Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 08:42   #3

The nice thing about the eastward route is that you can leisurely island hop, waiting for appropriate weather windows as you go. If you want to do it as a passage instead of a cruise, then RayLChase's eastward route is still the most desireable.

The only reason to instead go west and south would be because you want to cruise the Central American islands. The passage from Panama would be a long slog of well over 1000 miles; you might get the benefit of some southeast winds; but mostly you would be bashing close to the easterly trades or even northeasterlies which in winter are quite strong.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 09:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
then RayLChase's eastward route is still the most desireable.
Uh, I meant "Tony's" eastward route.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 20:01   #5

Boat: Catalina 30
Make a bee line for the Keys. Stop, relax enjoy. Take off towards the Bahamas by sailing east and let the Gulfstream help you to crab accross. Many choices through the Bahamas. If you go east when there are winds from the west or the south, then go and do as much easting as you can. I went from Caicos to Fajardo, PR in one tack in my old Hunter Legend 35 and stayed well above the Silver Banks. You can always stop in Luperon in the DR. Only go south of Cuba if you are planning on stopping there. From then on it's a slug up wind and against the current.
cayennita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 18:42   #6

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
IMHO forget the Cuba idea. get Van Sants thorn-less route book and follow his suggestions.
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 20:50   #7

Boat: J24 freight puppy
Alright..the trip is delayed a bit. Probably going to happen in March now. I have been looking at the first two legs of the trip and have decided to stop in the Dry Tortugas to see it. Have also started looking around the Bahamas for a good place to moor up and wait for the weather window to he'd south via I-65. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to pick up a ball in the Bahamas close to fuel, groceries, and be close to the Atlantic at a reasonable rate?

Not asking for much right?
RayLChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 21:08   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
dry tortugas to isla mujeres to virgin islands via puerto rico was the best way i found for that trip. goood luck-- have fun. i cant wait to get back.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 03:53   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
In March, you should have some nice cold fronts to hitchhike on.

Tags
British Virgin Islands