Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2022, 15:09   #16

Boat: Dufour Arpege
Re: Mooring, Anchorage or Similar Cost Slip On or Near MetroNorth Line?

Shelter Island is an idyllic spot between the North and South forks of Long Island. Very quiet with a couple of good anchorages. Also within easy reach of the Jitney which goes to NYC a couple times a day.
otterhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 15:16   #17

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhound View Post
Shelter Island is an idyllic spot between the North and South forks of Long Island. Very quiet with a couple of good anchorages. Also within easy reach of the Jitney which goes to NYC a couple times a day.
Also not bad. It was on my list too. Can even use the Blade seaplane if I’m having a great month. Ha ha ha.

Always fascinated by seaplanes. Probably can’t afford a Blade ride though.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 16:40   #18

Boat: Dufour Arpege

If you wind up out here I can help with rides to the ferry once in a while.
Rod
otterhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 17:21   #19

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Just as a possible option you may want to check out Atlantic Highlands municipal marina in nj
they have a fast ferry to manhattan island that leaves out of the marina. call them about a possible mooring and shuttle from the moorings.

Its been years since I was there last but maybe worth a shot. its also close to an anchorage called horshoe cove for the time you dont need to hit NYC
Old 27-03-2022, 17:27   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

City Island was remarkably quiet and easygoing when we stopped there. It's supposed to be the quietest place in NYC. There's lots of moorings.
Old 27-03-2022, 17:40   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhound View Post
If you wind up out here I can help with rides to the ferry once in a while.
Rod
Thank you! That’s very kind of you. Of course this is all preliminary work right now. Everything depends on very slow suppliers. Hopefully I can come up. Maybe next summer if everyone fails to deliver what I am trying to buy from them.
Old 27-03-2022, 17:46   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
Just as a possible option you may want to check out Atlantic Highlands municipal marina in nj
they have a fast ferry to manhattan island that leaves out of the marina. call them about a possible mooring and shuttle from the moorings.

Its been years since I was there last but maybe worth a shot. its also close to an anchorage called horshoe cove for the time you dont need to hit NYC
Worth a look. The ferry is still operational. I see that. 40 minutes. Too bad there’s no NJ transit going out there. Surprising actually. But it’s on the maybe list thanks for adding it.
Old 27-03-2022, 17:48   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
City Island was remarkably quiet and easygoing when we stopped there. It's supposed to be the quietest place in NYC. There's lots of moorings.

So, I’ve actually never been to city Island. Do you want to know why? I don’t like riding the 5/6 train above 90th St. It starts getting pretty sketchy up there in the Bronx. It’s not for me. Lol

There might be times I have to come back kind of late. Or early in the morning or something. I just try not to go into bad areas in New York. That’s how I have survived it I guess.

And it’s a long trip out to the subway from city Island. I was just looking at it.
Old 28-03-2022, 03:00   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
So, I’ve actually never been to city Island. Do you want to know why? I don’t like riding the 5/6 train above 90th St. It starts getting pretty sketchy up there in the Bronx. It’s not for me. Lol

There might be times I have to come back kind of late. Or early in the morning or something. I just try not to go into bad areas in New York. That’s how I have survived it I guess.

And it’s a long trip out to the subway from city Island. I was just looking at it.
My only experience with it is anchoring near the mooring field and dinghying ashore for groceries as I was passing by. Stopped at the library for internet. I guess it would have been sketch after dark. I haven't been to NYC by land for over 30 years, so don't know the trains/busses/subways. If I do things right, I'll hopefully never have to go. Not fond of major cities, me.
Old 28-03-2022, 03:15   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
My only experience with it is anchoring near the mooring field and dinghying ashore for groceries as I was passing by. Stopped at the library for internet. I guess it would have been sketch after dark. I haven't been to NYC by land for over 30 years, so don't know the trains/busses/subways. If I do things right, I'll hopefully never have to go. Not fond of major cities, me.
Ah!

City island itself is supposed to be quite nice. The Bronx is where all the murders and gun violence in nyc you hear about happen (as well as parts of Brooklyn). It’s basically the most dangerous boro in the city. As you ride the train up through it, your fellow rider gets more and more sketchy.

I have to go into the city about once a week. An evil necessity. Otherwise, I’d be your neighbor.

The transportation from Rhode Island to nyc is bad. You have to first go to providence. No idea why they don’t have a reliable bus from say, Newport to nyc.
Old 28-03-2022, 08:18   #26

Boat: Sceptre 41

I worked in the Bronx for 10 years. Even used to take subway from Manhattan to North Bronx. Not as bad as you think. Basically, one gets used to one's borough... I used to feel scared in parts of Brooklyn.

As a last-gasp attempt to lure to me to accept a job in the Bronx, and knowing my love of sailboats, those interviewing me drove me on a tour of City Island. It worked.

Funny thing though, over the 10 years, I came to not think very highly of City Island. Bit of a dive. Much nicer further up the Sound.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 08:28   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
I worked in the Bronx for 10 years. Even used to take subway from Manhattan to North Bronx. Not as bad as you think. Basically, one gets used to one's borough... I used to feel scared in parts of Brooklyn.

As a last-gasp attempt to lure to me to accept a job in the Bronx, and knowing my love of sailboats, those interviewing me drove me on a tour of City Island. It worked.

Funny thing though, over the 10 years, I came to not think very highly of City Island. Bit of a dive. Much nicer further up the Sound.
Parts of Brooklyn are definitely as bad as the Bronx.

I agree it’s nicer away from the city, so that’s where I’m looking. Was a daily commute, I would have to be closer. But once a week can be from very far away.

I just go by the raw data. The Bronx is the worst boro of them all, And this is before the huge spike of crime that started in 2020.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B307F50A-3CAC-4814-8918-B97B28B2EEA3.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	255119  
Old 28-03-2022, 10:34   #28

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Parts of Brooklyn are definitely as bad as the Bronx.

I agree it’s nicer away from the city, so that’s where I’m looking. Was a daily commute, I would have to be closer. But once a week can be from very far away.

I just go by the raw data. The Bronx is the worst boro of them all, And this is before the huge spike of crime that started in 2020.
I worked the whole of the city for 20+ years (FDNY) and my life before civil service, I’ve seen the streets, I’ve seen the inside of probably 4,000 apartments. In subzero temps and in heatwaves.

NYC and the facts.
Pre Bill DeBlasio (D) the city was as clean and safe as it has ever been. It was actually a nice place to live and work, it’s worse than it was in the early 70s now, it makes me sad. It’s a cautionary tale of be careful what you wish/vote for.

Chotu, Another option is Breezy point, it is an Irish heritage community on the (outermost) barrier beach just east of the entrance to New York harbor when coming off the Atlantic, there are Commuter ferries that run regularly from the base of the Marine parkway bridge to many points in the NYC waterways battery park being the most popular . There are about 30 boats nestled up against the bay side, 2 reaurants on the beach and a supermarket and hardware store a few blocks in, everything is walkable.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 10:57   #29

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post

City island has seen much better days, the boat builders and the last of the sailmakers (UK) have left the island. It is now very hard to get to in the summer because of road congestion but a good place to sit out a tide while waiting for optimum hell gate window.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 16:30   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Ah!

City island itself is supposed to be quite nice. The Bronx is where all the murders and gun violence in nyc you hear about happen (as well as parts of Brooklyn). It’s basically the most dangerous boro in the city. As you ride the train up through it, your fellow rider gets more and more sketchy.

I have to go into the city about once a week. An evil necessity. Otherwise, I’d be your neighbor.

The transportation from Rhode Island to nyc is bad. You have to first go to providence. No idea why they don’t have a reliable bus from say, Newport to nyc.
Well, the 60-bus goes from Newport to Providence where you can get on the train. There's also a stop in North Kingstown, not far from several harbors and many marinas. Wouldn't want to go to NYC and return the same day, though.

Tags
anchor, mooring