Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2022, 17:01   #31

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'
Re: Mooring, Anchorage or Similar Cost Slip On or Near MetroNorth Line?

Don't count out Atlantic Highlands NJ. Great anchorage/mooring area. Nice little town with restaurants, movies, etc. And the 'Fast Ferry' to NYC. There's also several other nice little towns on the Raritan bay within a half day sail.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 17:49   #32

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Well, the 60-bus goes from Newport to Providence where you can get on the train. There's also a stop in North Kingstown, not far from several harbors and many marinas. Wouldn't want to go to NYC and return the same day, though.
Yeah that is AWFUL. LOL.

I have definitely looked into that before when I was in Newport Harbor. What I mean, is there are hordes of tourists showing up in Newport all summer long from New York City. There should be a tourist bus that goes back-and-forth between the two. I can’t imagine why the Chamber of Commerce in Newport doesn’t push for something like that.

That would allow me to commute. Because taking 60 up into Providence and then taking the Amtrak down is like the craziest long commute ever. I’d actually be happier anchoring in Block Island, taking the fast ferry to Newport, and then a bus. But the bus does not exist.

Big business opportunity missing for someone. New Yorkers love visiting Newport. It’s a whole different world and it’s not all that far away
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 17:54   #33

The kind of "New Yorkers" that visit Newport are more likely to own cars

And commute in for work from Westchester and CT, not actually live right in the city, especially summertime.
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 18:03   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
The kind of "New Yorkers" that visit Newport are more likely to own cars

And commute in for work from Westchester and CT, not actually live right in the city, especially summertime.
I’m guessing you’ve never lived in Manhattan. I spent quite a bit of time living there. we didn’t have cars in Manhattan. Cars were for idiots actually. LOL. Takes you longer to get somewhere by car than it does by any other motive transportation when you live in Manhattan. We fly places. We take the train. We take those buses. And that’s making $250,000 a year. That’s how we get to the Hamptons. That’s how we would get to Newport. We might take Blade as well. I used to be one of those types. I gave that up. For sailing and travel.

I did however, get seduced into buying a car once. I had one of the first mini Cooper is in the United States. The third one actually. Paid quite a premium. But it fit into the city. My parking spot cost more than the car. I used it once a month maybe. But never in the winter. Complete waste of money.

People who go to the Hamptons and to Newport and places like that take public transportation typically. You get together with all your friends. You are in your 20s. May be early 30s. And you all go out together at the same time on public transportation. Combined, you probably make $3 million a year. Lol

Certainly a Newport jitney would do the trick. Just like the Hampton jitney.
Old 28-03-2022, 18:46   #35

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

[. . .]

I’m looking for something nice and quiet. Peaceful. But also near a MetroNorth stop so I can commute into the city once a week.
[. . .]

PMs ok if you don’t want to publicly reveal your secret spot.

PM’d you. If it’s for the summer only, it could perhaps work (waiting lists permitting). Best of luck!
Old 29-03-2022, 03:23   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
I’m guessing you’ve never lived in Manhattan. I spent quite a bit of time living there. we didn’t have cars in Manhattan. Cars were for idiots actually. LOL. Takes you longer to get somewhere by car than it does by any other motive transportation when you live in Manhattan. We fly places. We take the train. We take those buses. And that’s making $250,000 a year. That’s how we get to the Hamptons. That’s how we would get to Newport. We might take Blade as well. I used to be one of those types. I gave that up. For sailing and travel.

I did however, get seduced into buying a car once. I had one of the first mini Cooper is in the United States. The third one actually. Paid quite a premium. But it fit into the city. My parking spot cost more than the car. I used it once a month maybe. But never in the winter. Complete waste of money.

People who go to the Hamptons and to Newport and places like that take public transportation typically. You get together with all your friends. You are in your 20s. May be early 30s. And you all go out together at the same time on public transportation. Combined, you probably make $3 million a year. Lol

Certainly a Newport jitney would do the trick. Just like the Hampton jitney.
I grew up taking public transport everywhere, and would love it if I could live where I do and still get places by bus/ferry. But public transport has to have enough people needing it to be viable, and outside of big cities, not enough of us 'merricans need it. If my house were in Mexico/Colombia/Panama, a bus would pass every fifteen minutes, and there'd be a big dugout or panga with an outboard ferrying people across the Sakonnet River.
Old 29-03-2022, 05:23   #37

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Quote:
Yeah that is AWFUL. LOL.

. . . . . I’d actually be happier anchoring in Block Island, taking the fast ferry to Newport, and then a bus. But the bus does not exist.

y
I know this comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but I think there's a Block Is ferry to New London, which arrives right at the Amtrack station where you can go to NYC.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 05:57   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
I know this comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but I think there's a Block Is ferry to New London, which arrives right at the Amtrack station where you can go to NYC.
Not at all! I forgot about the fast ferry. That’s a passenger only fast ferry to New London. Hooks right up to the train system.

Ideal, thanks to a good location. Also in the running.

I guess the moral of the story here is there are 1,000,001 places. Once you are actively trying to get away from the city, things open up a lot more.

Thanks for all of the input. I think I have a really good selection here. How to choose is going to be more difficult. Lol
Old 29-03-2022, 05:58   #39

Also, it doesn’t look like I’ll be making it this year. I can’t find any fabricators willing to do any work. Can’t get my rig up. I guess that’s next year’s plan now. Quickly running out of time here.

I have word into half a dozen fabricators. Nobody’s even willing to start the project anytime soon.
Old 29-03-2022, 06:06   #40

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Also, it doesn’t look like I’ll be making it this year. I can’t find any fabricators willing to do any work. Can’t get my rig up. I guess that’s next year’s plan now. Quickly running out of time here.

I have word into half a dozen fabricators. Nobody’s even willing to start the project anytime soon.

Maybe check into fabricators up north (or somewhere in between)? If you could motor the boat up there without the rig assembled that would give more options and more chance of finding someone that can do the work. At a minimum it would get you out of the heat a bit while you wait and get other work done.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 07:23   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Maybe check into fabricators up north (or somewhere in between)? If you could motor the boat up there without the rig assembled that would give more options and more chance of finding someone that can do the work. At a minimum it would get you out of the heat a bit while you wait and get other work done.
No. They have already ruined the plans. I’ve been waiting many weeks now. There’s not enough time anymore.

I was thinking of potentially just motoring the thing up. But, it makes a lot more sense not to at this point. Especially given the fuel prices and difficulty of anchoring out or having a mooring with a boat that isn’t complete rigging wise.

Definitely would be a world record ICW transit (no mast), but it makes more sense to get more done over the summer here and shoot for next summer going back up.

I have to keep things low stress. Still have to take care of the heart
Old 29-03-2022, 08:12   #42

Quote:
I’m guessing you’ve never lived in Manhattan.
I grew up in Manhattan.

Everyone I knew growing up had a car. Yes monthly spots in the underground parking garages were as expensive as most people spent on housing for the whole family.

> making $250,000 a year.

That's barely survival wages in that context. Per month, maybe would be "middle class" for Manhattan.
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:33   #43

Boat: Adams 45

I like Port Washington. It's a 20 minute walk to the LIRR station, and 45 minutes to Penn Station in Manhattan. Launch service is included with mooring rental. https://www.portwatertaxi.com/mooring-services
Very reasonable at $1700 for the whole season, or $25/day for shorter stays. Launch can take you to town, shopping, laundry, etc. I've stayed on my boat there and it's usually very quiet, especially at night.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:11   #44

Boat: Cal, 28-II

One more thought.. Milford CT. The town has moorings that are floating docks, so 2 boats per mooring. Inexpensive. Last I heard they were $25 per foot for the season. Might be slightly more now. VERY close to metro north. Less than 5 minute walk. Anything you'd need is easy walking distance. Excellent chandlery at Milford Boat Works too, and a West Marine nearby. Laundry, Food, etc all close by. I live in Milford and moored here for many years, and I commuted to NYC for 20+ years. Miserable train ride, but for once a week it would be easy compared to the 5 days a week I did! It's very quiet during the week. Lots of boat traffic on weekends, but the moorings are very secure and you're not swinging around. Short dinghy ride to the town dock.
NautiDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:20   #45

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Look into City Island. There are good bus to subway connections from the island. Plus, it is an amusing place to hang out.
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, mooring