Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 05:18   #1

Moorings / Anchorages in Grenadines ?

I just ordered Doyle's cruising guide, and my answer may be in there when i get it, but thought i'd ask here, since there is a wealth of knowledge...

most of the bays down there have mooring balls like the bvi or will i be doing some anchoring?

If anchoring what methods are recommended (ie: if i'm first in the bay i don't want to screw everyone else up by dropping 2 off the bow, when a bow/stern is the way to go)

TIA,

Dane
danedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
CRUISING THE GRENADINES:
Barefoot Yacht Charters - Cruising The Grenadines

St. Vincent Anchorages:
St Vincent & The Grenadines

And check out the additional links* at the bottom of the page.
* St. Vincent, Bequia, Mustique, Canouan, Mayreau, Tobago Cays, Palm Island, Petit St. Vincent, Union Island

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:32   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danedee
I just ordered Doyle's cruising guide, and my answer may be in there when i get it, but thought i'd ask here, since there is a wealth of knowledge...

most of the bays down there have mooring balls like the bvi or will i be doing some anchoring?

If anchoring what methods are recommended (ie: if i'm first in the bay i don't want to screw everyone else up by dropping 2 off the bow, when a bow/stern is the way to go)

TIA,

Dane
In the Grenadines, you will find a lot of mooring balls in Bequia. Because the blooming things have mushroomed in the last few years, it is now much easier to take one up than to drop the hook. There is still plenty of room to anchor out around Princess Margaret's beach.

In Mustique, it is obligatory to take a mooring ball. The price is good at EC$75* for 3 days.

1 East Caribbean Dollar (XCD) = 0.37736 US Dollar
1 US Dollar (USD) = 2.65000 East Caribbean Dollar (XCD)

Elsewhere, you will be dropping the hook. Drop a single anchor, unless the forecast is for really strong stuff. In the latter case, either head for your charter base and let them worry about the boat, or consider dropping two anchors off the bow at 45 deg to each other. Do not drop bow and stern anchors as this will stop you swinging and make life difficult for the boats around you, whose capacity to swing will be inhibited by those who anchor bow and stern. Bow and stern works fine in the Med where it is often the norm in anchorages in places like Turkey, or more likely a line ashore from the stern. The only place I've seen the latter done near the Grenadines is in Soufriere bay in St. Lucia.
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 17:40   #4

Almost all drop-the-hook anchorages in the Grenadines, download handy guide to Grenadine anchorages at this URL:
eliott sailing | Articles | Grenadines Anchorages
Ok, self promotion - checked the rules and 'shameless self-promotion' within reason seems to be allowed - and it is, I hope, a genuinely useful quick guide....
Eliott Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:53   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Although “shameless self-promotion” is allowed (within reason), I would characterize the information in your link more as a “selfless contribution”. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

See additional useful content at:
Articles: eliott sailing | Articles | News, Information, Advice, Cruising and Learn to Sail Information
Though I couldn’t find the Pascall Guide to Grenada/Grenadine Anchorages
Sailing Areas: eliott sailing | Sailing Areas

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:26   #6

Credit

I can't take credit for this, it was kindly given to me by James Pascall, the main charter man in Grenada - but it's there opensource for anyone. Having sailed down there a lot i have found it to be all present and correct.
Eliott Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2007, 11:17   #7

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
I found that the Grenadines was extremely easy to anchor in. Since it is very sandy everywhere, I recommend using a Danforth or Fortress type anchor. My Plow always dragged in the loose sand.
Mooring bouys are hit and miss. There is no formal company like seasucure in the BVI's and some of the bouys are suspect. Allways dive on them.
I usually anchor, the exception is the Young Island Cut. The tide causes a reverse in current, so pick up a mooring.
Old 28-05-2007, 13:17   #8

I would add a big ditto to Billy on the moorings in Bequia. Not much on some of them and little maintenance. Dive on 'em before you pay and have the hook ready!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 19:02   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Yup - like they said above. Be eprepared to anchor - balls are infrequent, suspect and ... well ... for those who don't know how to anchor!
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 19:03   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
Yup - like they said above. Be eprepared to anchor - balls are infrequent, suspect and ... well ... for those who don't know how to anchor!
BTW - my 60 LB CQR has never failed me in this area.
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, St Vincent and Grenadines