Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2013, 14:30   #1

Question Most Reasonably Priced Haul Out Facilities in the Caribbean?

As luck would have it, we have found a boat we can't seem to live without. Unfortunately, it happens to be lying in Puerto Rico. After looking around for a suitable haul out, we were blown away by the high cost of haul out and yard rates. Also few facilities allowed boat owners to do their own work. Has anyone found reasonably priced haul out facilities in the Caribbean?
captjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 14:37   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Caribbean is a big area...how close to PR do you want it?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 14:55   #3

Boat: Manta 42
Peakes Yard or Coral Cove in Trinidad have reasonable haul out rates and you can do the work yourself. If you can't buy or have something shipped to Trinidad then they will make it for you. It has the added benefit of been out of the hurricane box.

Folks may suggest that crime is a problem in Trinidad, but look at the murder rate in Puerto Rico! Rich
bahamarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 17:11   #4

Boat: GS 52 - Shenanigans
Re: Most reasonably priced haul out facilities in the Caribbean?

St. Martin's is a hub for the marine trades in their part of the Caribbean. Parts for Antigua etc ship through St. Martin. Bobby's Marina is the major yard there. You might want to ask them for prices. B
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 05:46   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Most reasonably priced haul out facilities in the Caribbean?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, captjade.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 07:13   #6

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
What do you consider "reasonable"? What kind of work do you want to do? I assume you've checked Puerto Del Rey on PR. I assume you are aware it's currently hurricane season and most yards are full or are quoting their highest rates. Did you see if rates will be less after November?
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 08:19   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Most Reasonably Priced Haul Out Facilities in the Caribbean?

I second St. Martin and Bobby's Marina for haulout. There are also marinas on the French side which are low-cost and no-frills. You should mention your draft and width since that might limit your choices to certain yards.
I use Nanny Cay on Tortola in the BVI, but they aren't the cheapest. There are haulouts in Soper's Hole and on Virgin Gorda in the BVI as well that will let you do work on the boat.
Old 24-09-2013, 15:00   #8

Boat: Kirié Feeling 446

Least expensive yards are in Venezuela but... I would stay away because of the risks of meeting pirates.

Second best is Chaguaramas on Trinidad and yes Coral Cove is less expensive. My boat is there at this moment (I hope...). St Martin is not cheap and crime there is a real consideration. If you leave your boat during hurricane season then Trinidad is far better.
SaltyTanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 09:19   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 57

While Chaguaramas is cheaper and outside the hurricane zone, I believe the OP is looking for somewhere to fix up the new boat which is in PR, somewhere closer than 600 miles away.
Old 27-09-2013, 09:18   #10

Thanks all for the info!! captjade
captjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 09:47   #11

I am from PR... what size is your boat? how long do you want it out of the water? puerto del rey si good but expensive as is palmas del mar... the cheapest is probably going to be Isleta Marina.. which is a little island like 1/2 of a mile from Villa Marina or Sun Bay marina...
There are cheaper ones but sailboats cant get to them due to draft and/or bridge height. The good thing in PR is you do not have to pay duties to get stuff here from USA, shipping is quick and reasonable to here and a fair bit of technical help & stores.. but labor is cheaper than USA but definitely not cheap. PM me if I can help you out in any way.
droquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 11:18   #12

Boat: Beneteau 473
We outfitted in Puerto Rico last fall/winter. We boat was in a slip at Sunbay Marina and we did a lot of work there (inside the boat) and rigging work. We had the boat hauled at Puerto del Rey by Island Marine for new thru-hulls and bottom paint.

We found the monthly rate at Sunbay quite reasonable. Puerto del Rey on the other hand was pretty pricy. But, as has been mentioned, there are not a lot of options. We were able to do work ourselves when it was in the yard and we saw other people working on their own boats as well.

Puerto Rico was by far the easiest place to get parts and supplies, as all of the major American box stores are there. It was also the cheapest place to have stuff shipped to and it arrived and it usually never took more than a week.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, haul out, price, rib, caribbean