Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2006, 05:28   #16

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Shame, but

It is a shame, but these stories shouldn't put people off from cruising. We just came back to the Wash DC area after 3 years of cruising. If murders caused us not to go to someplace for the fear of it, we wouldn't live in DC or most the US or many other places in the world. (we see more crime including violent crimes here than in the Caribe)

Poeple are murdered here at a very high rate, but it doesn't stop locals from living here and tourist from visiting. Just understand where and try to be careful.

I felt just as safe or safer in PLC, Venezuela than I ever did in DC. I don't let fear keep me from seeing the sights. I just think about what I am doing and where I am going and take the appropriate measures.

We knew Pierre from Baiha Rhonda Marina and though he was French, his wife was a local and he had been living there for a long time as was mostly considered a local. So if you follow the convoluted logic it was a murder of a local but not an attack on a cruiser. Does it make it safer...who knows.

We spent a total of 8 months in and around Venezuela and wouldn't hesitate to go back. now Trinidad, the crime rate is so high there we will never go back, but that is another story.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Venezuela