Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2021, 12:35   #1

Navigating Exuma to Warderick

Greetings! Please know that for 6 weeks this February – March I’ll be operating a Power Catamaran with a 5’ Draft and a cruising speed of 9 knots departing from Emerald Bay, Great Exuma. I am interested in taking the first safe Cut from the Sound side to the Banks side then staying on the Banks side while cruising north to Farmers Cay; Black Point; Staniel Cay; Compass Cay and Warderick Wells before returning to Emerald Bay. The Explorer Chartbook appears to show 3 differing types of Routes: A Route with a line between Way Points; a VPR Route; and a Shallow Route VPR.

With regards to my 5’ Draft on the Banks side my questions are:
1. Can the Routes with lines between Way Points generally be navigated without worry of hitting the bottom?
2. Can the VPR Routes (typically shown in the color purple) generally and for the most part be navigated at any tide level without worry of hitting bottom?
3. I’m taking for granted that the Shallow Route VPR (typically shown in the color red) should only be taken within 1-2 hours either side of High Tide…but considering my 5’ Draft…should I attempt them at all?

Final question:
1. After initially leaving Exuma I am considering Galliot Cut to enter the Bank side. In order to expedite my return back to Exuma on the Sound side: What Cut(s) between Black Point and Warderick would you consider the safest to cross back over to the Sound side?

Lastly, please know that I have owned/operated vessels in Alaska for over 35 years, and I humbly request and appreciate your advice on the Bahama Banks. Thank you.
Content63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 20:02   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: Navigating Exuma to Warderick

Here is my take..

The routes between waypoints are generally clear of obstructions and amply deep. However the prudent skipper will be continually watching the depth sounder and reading the water ahead. The other routes, including the shallow water routes need to be evaluated individually. Some require very precise navigation. Be 50 feet off and a 5 foot draft boat will be in trouble. Again read the water and proceed with caution.

Coming off the sound at Dothan cut ( just north of Black Point) is a good plan. Moving north from here there are plenty of deep water routes, not much to worry about.

When it is time to go south working your way south to Galliot Cut on the bank is not that complicated and a good plan. I believe there is brief section west of Cave Cay that is going to require your full attention, but should be passable for 5 ft draft. The banks south of Galliot Cut get more shallow and will require great care.

Keep in mind that the cays south of Black Point are generally accessible from the sound side. If you dont feel like top toeing across the bank then use the sound.
Old 04-11-2021, 21:50   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

You're asking the right questions.

On and off the bank for that route, Galliot Cut makes the most sense. The bank is generally better protected than the sound. Galliot is an easy cut compared to others. Generally, you want to have as much of your trip as possible on the bank. If you need to wait for weather, there are several places to do so. If you wanted to stage on the west side of Cave Cay, the inside route from Galliot to Cave is doable at high tide. We have done it several times with a 6.5' draft.

The waypoints on the bank will easily carry your draft.

The shallow draft routes will not reliably carry 5'. The shallow draft routes are generally 3-4 feet and can affected by shifting sand.

Have fun.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:44   #4

Thank you for your valued responses. They're very much appreciated.
A few more questions if you don’t mind:
  1. Can you please provide me with an estimated tidal time difference between Galliot Cut and Nassau? Or, please let me know where I can obtain this information.
  2. Any idea of how fast the tide moves through Galliot Cut at it’s peak flow?
  3. When running the cuts and hitting a slack tide isn’t possible, given the choice, is your personal preference to go with the tidal flow or against it?
Thanks again and Best Regards…
Old 06-11-2021, 13:09   #5

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Content63 View Post
Thank you for your valued responses. They're very much appreciated.
A few more questions if you don’t mind:
  1. Can you please provide me with an estimated tidal time difference between Galliot Cut and Nassau? Or, please let me know where I can obtain this information.
  2. Any idea of how fast the tide moves through Galliot Cut at it’s peak flow?
  3. When running the cuts and hitting a slack tide isn’t possible, given the choice, is your personal preference to go with the tidal flow or against it?
Thanks again and Best Regards…
I think you will find tides to be within about 40 minutes of Nassau tides. We noted the actual tide experienced versus Nassau in the log book. I think you will find tide timing versus Nassau in the notes on the explorer charts. Also, dont hesitate to use the radio to contact a nearby cruiser.

Tidal currents that we experienced across the Bahamas were generally easy to deal with in our lightly powered sailing cat. Your power cat will have no problem pushing through.

Galliot is a wide and deep cut...and I would personally not be worried about it.

The thing to plan around is strong wind against tide, which can get rough. If winds are in the 20s or above I would aim for a transit with the winds and tides moving together. We got into a wind against tide situation in Dothan cut, which resolved very quickly by steering out of the current as soon as we were clear of the shoal. I have not run Galliot in any kind of wind against tide rage, but it has got to be one of the milder cuts in those conditions.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 13:30   #6

Thanks Sparx!
Old 11-11-2021, 16:27   #7

Hi Sparx, (all) you mentioned the tides at Galliot cut should be “within about 40 minutes of Nassau.” May I ask: 40 minutes before or after Nassau?
I looked, but can’t seem to locate the tide time differences between Nassau and the Exuma’s or their Cuts. The only two things I’ve found thus far in the 9th Edition Explorer Chartbook are on page 72 where it lists some tide time differences, but none for the Exuma's, and on page 57 where a Note says “Green Turtle Cut follows Nassau tide by approximately 2 hours.” In Volume 3 of The Exuma Guide by Stephen Pavlidis on page 229 it says George Town LW and HW tides run approximately 20 minutes before Nassau.
Any idea where I can find the approximate tide time differences between the various Exuma Cuts and Nassau? I’ll hail other boaters when I’m there on the water but it would be nice to do some preliminary planning too. Thank you kindly…