Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2016, 13:14   #1

Boat: Jensen, Cal 25, Tayana 37
Need advise, Newport beach to FL to Bahamas

this is the most ambitious thing that I have taken on AND, I'm a novice ocean sailor! The plans are in place, boat will be hauled out of the water on Dec. 5 for bottom paint, demasting, rigging work, and some other stuff, and it will be placed on a truck for shipment to a location in Florida yet to be determined. I am retired with a small RV and a couple of rescue dogs that will drive to meet the boat in FL. From there, I plan to have the mast stepped, have solar installed and any other work that I need to get done. More importantly, intend to hang around the docks to gain local knowledge for the trip that I would like to commence in January and stay on until hurricane season approaches.

Now, I find myself down to the knitty-gritty logistical planning where experience sure would help. Here are my question:

1. Can you recommend a marina or boat yard in FL that will do this work and allow me to hang around until I leave OR, once the work is complete, transient docks that would be good for departure? course, winds, tides, etc. I hear a lot about picking the right weather window but have no experience in that area to draw from

2. Dogs (2 Chihuahuas!) I have read up on the requirements of vaccinations but I have also read that a lot of the islands do not even allow dogs? Any other tips about long sails with dogs? Potty Strategies? :P

3. Once I do the passage I would like to rest up for a couple of weeks or so but NOT in a touristy place or resort, just somewhere to re-energize, provision, meet other sailors, eat local cuisine, etc.

I have soooo many more questions but these are the current keys to keep the dream alive.

About the boat,

The Best of Class Cal 25 that I have ever seen!

Harken Roller Furler, 130 Ullman and storm jib
New Dacron main
3 New Trojan 6V (2 house, 1 start)
Battery selector switch
New iCon VHF with AIS receiver
New Raymarine A78 MFD with Chirp Downvision
Freshly tuned rigging and all lines lead back to the cockpit
honda 9.9 outboard with new carb and freshly serviced
New bottom paint
Freshly waxed

I hope to hear the voice of experience with such plans! I know I am not reinventing the wheel hear but it is quite the challenge to plan on your own with limited experience of your own

Rico
nnb4oc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 13:50   #2

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Need advise, Newport beach to FL to Bahamas

A couple places I've kept boats in the Canaveral area that might fit that bill are the Canaveral Marina and the Harbor town Marina. I did both some of my own work at the Canaveral and had them do some as well. Many marinas don't allow both, and they also have a fairly good parts department. One nice thing about Canaveral is you can hop one of the cruise boat shuttle services to the Orland airport. Harbor Town had lots of live boards who worked on boats part time, also a yacht brokerage there if you ever decide to sell - just saying....

I kept one boat for quite some time at Indiantown which is a DIY but allows contractors - been some time so you'll have to verify that. It's a great location for hearing over the Bahamas soon after. Green Cove Springs has a similar reputation as a family low cost yard allowing DIY, but obviously is not a great jumping off point of the Bahamas. I'm sure there are many other options but that's a few for you to consider and investigate further.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 14:19   #3

What work are you doing in Fl? It sounds like you are doing "bottom paint, demasting, rigging work" in Cal?
It would be nice to put the boat in the water while they work on your rigging if doing that in Fl.. However, hotels are cheap in FL if you want to do that. Places like Cocoa Beach or up near Canaveral were good and cheap.... if you don't mind a cheap hotel that is!
-Dogs are another thing. Many FL beaches exclude dogs. I drove there from WA. FL felt like the most dog unfriendly place I'd ever been while there. I suppoe you learn to find the right places for dogs.
-We did stay at Canaveral/Merritt Island at the marina and dogs were not a problem. Watch the alligators! Good cheap restaurant at the marina too, and because we said we were staying for 30 days got the monthly rate rather than transient rate. (didn't stay a month though) That Marina does not allow you to work in the yard though. Harbortown?
-Driving West Texas start with a full tank! It goes on forever and at night, even though there are signs for "gas ahead", they are closed up!
-Have good dog life jackets with the handle on top for pulling them out of the water.
-Take it one step at a time. Florida and the Bahamas especially are great. Heck, in a small boat like yours I could stay in the Bahamas indefinitely. You need a vet certificate immediately before you depart to the Bahamas last I heard. So do that in Florida.
-Have fun.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 14:21   #4

very helpful, i'll check them out!
Old 30-10-2016, 15:00   #5

all great! Bottom is painted here in Newport Beach since it must come out of the water anyway and I know the people and their schedules. I am just a few docks away and its easy. Rigging, same but mainly new forestay and furler, inspection and tuning. Anything further will be done in FL when the mast is stepped.

Life jackets with handles are already checked off the list. Up to date on all shots and I will be on the hunt for a local vet once I figure out where we will land in FL. I understand that you have to get them signed off by a vet in the Bahamas as well?

Thanks for the tips on the locals. I will check them out.
Old 30-10-2016, 16:49   #6

Sounds like a great trip. Good luck!
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 19:03   #7

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

If you look at your first post above,- and every post on the forum - you will see some words underlined with dashed lines. Click on these words and you will see "Discussions about" that subject. For example, "dogs" brings up a number of posts about dogs, lots of advice and tips. Happy Hunting!
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 07:04   #8

Didn't know that! Thanks!
Old 31-10-2016, 08:51   #9

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Dogs in the Bahamas are no problem. You need an import permit with each dog $10./each. Google it and download the application. It can be faxed to you but start early as they are slow. With it comes a form a fla vet has to sign just before you take off. Don't fret the 24 hour part as it is not inforced nor do you have to go to a Bahamian vet. I have done it many times
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 09:21   #10

Boat: Scout 30

Hopefully your battery list has a typo. You can't use a 6 volt to start your motor. If going with 3 batteries one needs to be a 12 volt or you could go with 4 6 volts. In terms of where to put in you might want to head straight to the keys. If you get there soon you could get a mooring at Boot Key Harbor.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 10:06   #11

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

With very limited experience and a smallish boat I would urge you to consider a year or two in the Keys learning your boat. Crossing the Gulf Stream can be easy or awful and it really helps if you know what you are doing. Canaveral is good for a yard but a poor bases for a sailor- basically the port or open water. The Keys is full of interesting anchorages and stop overs. You will also have to do so dog training, some dogs are good sailers and some are not. Good luck with your adventure.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 12:02   #12

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Excellent advice from Dave 22q! Also, have you done some reading? The Waterway Guide is good. You can learn a lot.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 12:16   #13

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Hopefully your battery list has a typo. You can't use a 6 volt to start your motor. If going with 3 batteries one needs to be a 12 volt or you could go with 4 6 volts. In terms of where to put in you might want to head straight to the keys. If you get there soon you could get a mooring at Boot Key Harbor.
I second Boot Key Harbor in Marathon, just there this weekend. Lots of liveaboard cruisers to meet and chat with, great shore facilities, and very friendly staff. Do you have a dinghy? You may need one to get yourself and the dogs ashore, both from a mooring in Florida, or at anchor in the Bahamas.

You could always truck your boat to the Fort Lauderdale area, where Playboy Marina is a good DIY yard. Pretty easy sail from there to Marathon, if you choose that option, good shakedown before crossing to the Bahamas.

Most importantly, have fun and be safe!

Regards,
David.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 12:37   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

FYI:
I just started a new topic or thread focused on Trailer Sailors and Pocket Cruisers.

It contains links I highly recommend for anyone considering purchase of a small trailer boat or small cruiser. Read the info via the links.

I will be adding numerous ILLUSTRATIONS of boat models and types to the thread as I have time. It will eventually be full of examples of trailer sailor boats.

I encourage any CF Member to post their experience or opinions on good Trailer Sailors or Pocket Cruisers and PHOTOS in that thread too.

IF you have already posted something in this thread, simply copy and paste it into that new thread which will be ongoing and is designed to answer questions many new sailors will ask. It is NOT specific to a particular location or user's needs. I hope it helps. The links alone contain extensive helpful advice and tips and examples of cruising in small trailerable boats.

For the OP, the links and logs (descriptions with photos) in that thread may be VERY helpful to you.

Here is a link to it.
Trailer Sailor & Pocket Cruiser Boats, Tips, Advice, Examples - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 15:41   #15

Boat: Albin 25

Good advice.
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, newport, newport beach