Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2011, 13:53   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to BojanglesIV
Need Bahamas Mooring / Fly-in Tips

Hi all,

We're looking at bringing Bojangles to the Bahamas for the winter (currently lying in East Hampton, NY) where we'll leave her unattended for much of the time and then fly in from Toronto for several 7-14 day mini-cruises throughout the winter.

We've never been there before so we'd like some recommendations on:

a) Good places to leave the boat for a month or two at a time - ideally on a mooring.

b) Good tips for getting into the islands from Toronto (or Buffalo)

c) Good places to get work done.

Looking forward to your recommendations.

Cheers,
Colin
BojanglesIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 14:03   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416
Re: Need Bahamas Mooring / Fly-in tips

Colin,
Two good choices spring to mind. First, if you want an "East Florida" experience, leave Bojangles in the Abacos, possibly on a mooring at Hope Town. You could fly in easily to Marsh Harbour or Treasure Cay, and grab a ferry to Hope Town easily. Lots of easy sailing in the sea of Abaco, islands with plenty of marinas, restaurants, bars, etc. I'm pretty sure you can get boat work done there too, in Marsh Harbour. If you get north in the Abacos (later in the season), there are some less inhabited islands/anchorages.

I'd leave my boat in George Town, on one of the moorings offered by St. Francis or by Bob (forget his last name). Flying in to George Town on Great Exuma island is easy, you can get there from Ft. Lauderdale or from Nassau, and then assuming the weather is right you can sail the Exumas to the NW, Long Island to the east, the Jumentos/Ragged Islands to the south, and easy access to Cat Island and Conception Island also. I'm not sure about getting boat work done, though, in the Exumas. We've certainly fixed plenty of things that broke there, and even had a local mechanic help out with some engine/transmission stuff, but don't know about haul-outs or anything more substantial.

Good luck. Cruising in the Bahamas is really fantastic.
SV Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 14:59   #3

Boat: Lagoon 37

Georgetown would certainly be my choice. Much better weather during the winter months. And Bob at "Kevalli House" takes very good care of your boat. In a very protected mooring field
http://www.kevallihouse.com/the-bahamas/
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 16:00   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

For cruises as short as a week, I'd probably pick the Abacos over the Exumas. I second S/V Liberty's recommendation for a mooring in Hope Town. It's very protected, it's a quaint town and you can have regular boat checks done. There are frequent ferries from Marsh Harbour. Man-O-War also sometimes has moorings available and is also serviced by ferry from Marsh Harbour.

From Treasure Cay, you can take a ferry to Green Turtle Cays which has some moorings and also has Abaco Yacht Services if you ever need to store on the hard. I've talked to some people who leave their boat at a slip at the Treasure Cay Marina and had good things to say.

The other option for dry storage in the Abacos is the Marsh Harbour Boat Yard.

Green Turtle is north of the Whale Cay Pass and the other locations I mentioned are south of it. I'd go with G.T. if you prefer going north to more uninhabited islands and less crowds. One of the other locations for quicker access to quaint towns and resorts.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 16:14   #5

Boat: Lagoon 37

the problem I have with the Abacos, is the cold fronts which nail the Abacos more so than GT. Not that GT does not get them, but by the time they get that far south, they have lost a lot of the punch!!!!!!! And the water tends to be colder in the Abacos. By the way, I am a fan of the Abacos, it is just nicer in late spring and early summer IMHO
But boat services are MUCH more available in the Abacos. Nothing but good things to say about Marsh Harbor Boatyard
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 18:30   #6

Boat: private yacht always moving
Re: Need Bahamas Mooring / Fly-in Tips

staniel cay has moorings for rent, another marina that is down by musha cay island has floating dock and is very protected,
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 04:43   #7

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad

george town wins over the abacos for winter hands down...warmer and fewer cold fronts...air canada has 2 flights/wk out of toronto direct to g town also...have fun
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 05:18   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Carolyn and Nick Wardle* store boats at their facility on a well protected canal at Coral Harbor on the South side of New Providence (Nassau).
Tel: +242 362 1574
Fax: +242 362 2044
Email: cwardle@batelnet.bs

* Nick and Carolyn are the Seven Seas Cruising Association's Nassau cruising station hosts, and represent BASRA (Coral Hbr).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 06:49   #9

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

In the winter, the cold fronts do tend to be weaker in the southern Exumas than in the Abacos and the water few degrees warmer for swimming. The reason I'd pick the Abacos for cruises of 1-2 weeks however, is that it's easy to do short days all in the very protected Sea of Abaco. I'd personally want fair weather to leave Georgetown/Elizabeth Harbour, but with such time restrictions, you really can't afford to wait for weather like longer-term cruisers do. There's a reason most of the charter boat companies that are catering to 1-2 week cruisers choose the Abacos as their base and not Georgetown. That said, certainly much is just a matter of personal preference.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:06   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to BojanglesIV

Thanks all for your input and recommendations. This is the kind of support that I'm looking for.

We've done lots of cruising throughout the Eastern Caribbean but have never been to the Bahamas. Your advice will help us plan our trip.

Thanks,
Colin
BojanglesIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:30   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

If you're only coming for a few weeks at a time Georgetown would be your best bet. Good safe moorings in the holes. The best part of this is that there are direct flights from Toronto now. Air Canada flies in, mostly for the Sandals Resort (formerly Four Seasons). Bob at Kevalli House has slips (no power) and St. Francis has buoys as has Little Toot. The moorings are in Hole #2 and 3. Very safe.
Old 04-08-2011, 20:27   #12

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
If you're only coming for a few weeks at a time Georgetown would be your best bet. Good safe moorings in the holes. The best part of this is that there are direct flights from Toronto now. Air Canada flies in, mostly for the Sandals Resort (formerly Four Seasons). Bob at Kevalli House has slips (no power) and St. Francis has buoys as has Little Toot. The moorings are in Hole #2 and 3. Very safe.
Hi Rick, what do they charge for the moorings -- generally?

Chase
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:57   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

15 Moorings in Gaviota Bay, run by Elizabeth Harbor Management Partnership, cost $15.00/day, or $12/day on a weekly rental, or $10/day for a monthly rental

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 13:08   #14

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Bring your boat docs and clearance papers when you go home. THey may want to see them on the way back in if you dont have a ticket back out again
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:06   #15

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Sorry but the cruising permit is required to stay with the boat. Make a copy of it for your reentries and any marine supplies you may bring back.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, mooring