Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2020, 10:03   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Need Info on Sail from FLL to Jax

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
Lots of good ideas. I strongly recommend that you DO NOT transit the Port St. Lucie inlet as a novice.
I strongly recommend you don’t transit the port St. Lucie inlet at all, Ft. Pierce is just up the road a bit.
Get into the middle of the Steam and you’ll have a four kt current, but you will lose the stream near Jax, it’s just too far out.
Going in and out you will waste a lot of time, if out best to stay there.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 12:27   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
Snore,

You have it KIND of right.

There are a LOT more than two securite’ calls that need to be made for a large or wide boat transiting the New River, and it’s not the “old school” it’s actually the “Girl’s School”, and other securite’ calls should be made from the Wiggles, Little Florida, the Arts Center, Tarpon Bend, and the Tunnel, among others. Just to add to the confusion, the bridge names don’t always match the road names.

The problem for an outsider is that very few of these locations are called out on any chart, and every one is a narrow spot or blind corner where passing a 180’ super yacht would require careful coordination. If you think meeting up with a yacht that size is an unusual occurrence, you do not know the New River!

I don’t think I have ever been on a piece of water that was more difficult to navigate safely—anywhere.

I take something up or down that waterway once a year (and that is enough)- those are the two from my log book. The others are usually only by tugs maneuvering mega yachts.

Of course if you get lucky— just convoy behind one of them- and be sure to make the same calls so someone coming in the opposite direction knows you are there.

But of course the REAL fun is getting caught between the railway and the lift bridge to the east. Had that happen at the end of a delivery, during a rain storm when the storm water discharge to the north opened.

Not an easy stretch of water.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 06:45   #18

Boat: Lagoon 400

Thanks for the info!!
fthurlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail