Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2008, 09:59   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Negril Jamaica

We're vacationing April 16 - 23 in Negril Jamaica. While there we want to check out the place as a cruising destination. Does anyone have any suggestions for watering holes, provisioning, anchorages/marinas, etc. ??
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:12   #2
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Negril really isn't a city or town, per se - it is a large beach now fully occupied by resort hotels/some bars. It is also not a very good destination for cruising boats as there is no marina, nor any particularly sheltered harbour. For cruising destinations in Jamaica, you would be better to think of Montego Bay or Port Antonio - the latter having a couple of new international marinas. You will also see some yachts in Ocho Rios (although the port is essentially commercial) and around Kingston (although for security reasons, I would not venture there).

There are some bars in Negril by the cliffs (fun for adventurous divers); Ricks used to be the most popular, but it was damaged by Hurricane Wilma and I am unsure as to whether it has reopened.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:26   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Thanks Brad,

This will be our first time to Jamaica and we will be staying at a resort. I appreciate the info.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:26   #4
CF Adviser

Cabo, I'm sure you'll love Jamaica - the people, the food, and music are amazing. And the beach in Negril, while not as wide as it used to be, is still pretty incredible. All in all, a great place to relax and recharge the batteries for a week.

Brad
Old 05-04-2008, 10:43   #5

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
For a week in a resort area... your OK... I would like to know how your feeling are after you return. Most I know that make the trip, don't plan on return... I didn't.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:25   #6

Negril is our second home. I would have to disagree with an earlier poster who said Negril was not a town. There is very much a town centered around the S end of the Seven Mile Beach. There are banks, a supermarket, hardware, etc. There is not a marina per se, but there is a new fuel dock close to downtown. The Hi-Lo Market is a good place to provision. If you just need fresh water, try to make friends with the watersports guys at the Hedonism 2 dock. Their concrete quay is the best real dock in town and they have drinkable fresh water in the hose. I would suggest anchoring in the NE corner of Bloody Bay. It provides good holding and shelter from prevailing ENE winds. There are also several available mooring balls in Long Bay. Do not attempt to take a boat between Booby Cay and the mainland. There is a channel there that some say carries 6 feet, but I would no attempt it. Negril is not a port of entry and I would suggest possibly making entry to Jamaica at the Montego Bay Yacht Club 876-979-8038 or 876-979-8262. Montego Bay is about 35 NM from Negril. Negril is as close to heaven on earth as anyone could find, IMHO.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:19   #7
CF Adviser

Texsail, it was not my intention to knock Negril in any way. I was really referring to the relative lack of infrastructure in Negril compared to other areas on the island. I haven't been there in about 6 years but don't recall a real supermarket - is this a relatively new addition (or was the exisitng grocery store expanded)?

I was also of the view that it would not likely be a great location for Cabo Sailor to find a private sailboat/cat for a private, 1/2 or full day charter - I suppose that too may have changed, although I suspect not in comparison to Mobay or Port Antonio.

Anyway, unlike Reality Check, I suspect that Cabo Sailor will have a great time.

Brad
Old 07-04-2008, 10:45   #8

It would be easy for most of the hotel visitors to Negril to miss the town because the hotels are mostly on the north end of Negril and the guests might not have much reason to go into town. The Hi-Lo Grocery is a small supermarket with regular shopping carts and 4 or 5 checkouts. I have been trading with them for 20 years at least, but the market is behind another building from the main road and it would be easy to miss if you weren't looking for it. The Scotia Bank is the only real bank that I know of in Negril, although there may be others and there are ATMs at convenience stores and gas stations.

I am not aware of boats to charter in Montego Bay or Negril. I heard rumor in January of a couple of charter boats in Ocho Rios. Like a previous poster said, Port Antonio has nice facilities, although I don't know about charters. If you were were taking your own boat to Jamaica, IMHO, Negril would be fun and reasonably safe. There are numerous fun bars and restaurants: Ricks Cafe, Debuss, Xtabi are three that I would recommend.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 22:52   #9

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
I stayed in Negril around 20 years ago. Was a beautiful place.
The beach was narrow, palm trees over grew it, a great on the beach resturant that they cooked in drums... ice cold redstripe beer.

Sounds like the negril I knew doesn't exist anymore. A shame.
I don't remember anywhere that would be good for a cruising boat, but then it was a long time ago.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Jamaica