Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2010, 03:36   #16

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran
Deep water port is often a good place to go if its not rolling up, which it usually is not. Just anchor in shallow where the rustbucket fish boat won't go.

Dieppe Bay - I've never anchored there despite living here. But its where the cattlemarans (our party tourist cats) hide out during hurricanes. Look at it on Google Earth and you will see why.... Its also the location of the first St Kitts and one of the first Caribbean European settlements because its well protected....
PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 18:48   #17

Re: Nevis and St. Kitts

A bit confused about the procedures in St Kitt and Nevis.

I cleared in the customs and provided a cruising plan including Ballast bay, Bugs hole, Tamarind Bay(Nevis), Charlestown(Nevis). As noonsite and doyle cruising guide noted.

I was only given an small crafts declaration form with the next port as Charlestown. And adviced by the custom officials to get a boat clearance from the port authorities 24 hours prior to leaving to Nevis. So at least custom didn't give any paper labeled cruising permit.

Haven't done the immigration part yet as obted to wait till morning and do it by the cruiseship dock rather than going in to the airport.

Janne
jenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 19:14   #18

jenne:
I would have to pull my file but I do not remember any take away "paperwork" (permit like BVI when chartering)
We cleared into Charlestown Nevis & it was a little crazy due to an angry local comm'l captain & the expected reaction from the officials plus there were a couple of cruisers trying to also get cleared in/out.
Customs did most of the work on the Computer - I mentioned I would be traveling to St. Kitts - they said fine - and reminded we had to clear out there to get zarpe for next island. So it was more like "cruising permission" with dates provided & reminders ./rules spoken. There might have been a couple more EC for the "cruising" label vs one port.

I can check the file if You like.
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:12   #19

Boat: 36' 2001 Fortuna Island Spirit Catamaran

When you go back to get "clearance" to go to Nevis they will give you a stamp. That's your permit to go to Nevis. Its a stupid hassle they do here in SKN....

I live here in St Kitts, if you need anything feel free to ping me or find me at my store which is about 500 feet from the Marina.
PyotrBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:32   #20

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

We hid from high winds and swell for a few days in Port Zante marina - Not a garden spot but has good security, excellent access to downtown and was surprisingly cheap. Absolutely no swell ever gets in there but not a great place to vacation - the vibe is a bit industrial.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 04:37   #21

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

Basseterre,avoid.
Just made it before sunset to there and had to anchor. Sailing with two boats and we all spent the night on the one boat. Wind blowing at 20kts and swells, I don't know how high, guess 3ft.

Woke 1:00 and saw the other boat drifted some 150-200m. The anchor somehow and by miracle from Above reset, stopping the boat 20m from being bashed against the shore's rocks.

Not sure how good was the second set, so we used the time available, head out to it in the dinghy. The swells were so high we couldn't board the boat at the dinghy lift, so we tied the dinghy to midship cleat and scaled the fiercely rocking boat from there.

Motored it back to the other yacht and anchored again. In that 30min the sea/wind calmed enough to make us at ease that the anchor would hold the second time.

This all happened today. Long story, "choppy" is an understatement when things get rough.

Thanks for all the advice, will seek out any one of the other suggested alternatives.

Any suggestions on boat yard best for haul and FB/prop repairs?
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 11:18   #22

Boat: Alerion Express 28

We are chartering in March from Antigua. Has anyone made the passage to St.Kitts? Hearsay accepted.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 12:19   #23

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I just saw this thread, see my answer on your other thread -> but believe what Gerrit Coetzee has written. I anchored there once close to sunset amongst a whole bunch of other yachts and by the time I'd set my anchor the other yachts had all disappeared! I didn't realize why until the roll set in. At about 01:00 in the morning the boat was rolling so hard that I slid on the floorboards while crawling! I weighed anchor, went offshore, hove-to and got some sleep before going to White House Bay the next day. The Basseterre anchorage is OK for a day trip ashore, but leaving someone on board would be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

Tags
Nevis, St Kitts