Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 05:09   #1

New Jersey to Florida?

Has anybody here done this before? I plan to shove off early summer.

Any tips or suggestions for this voyage?
pirate paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:28   #2

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Hi Paul,

You'll be going against the grain, so to speak. Most people do this in the fall. Did you plan to do this inside or out? a bit of both? The prevailing winds are SW so you will probably find yourself motoring a fair bit. Daily thunderstorms are likely, generally in the evenings. There are many ways to do this trip. Do you want to stop every night, or do you think you want to do some longer passages offshore?
Old 07-04-2009, 05:57   #3

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
Hi Paul,

You'll be going against the grain, so to speak. Most people do this in the fall. Did you plan to do this inside or out? a bit of both? The prevailing winds are SW so you will probably find yourself motoring a fair bit. Daily thunderstorms are likely, generally in the evenings. There are many ways to do this trip. Do you want to stop every night, or do you think you want to do some longer passages offshore?

I am planning on making long passages on the outside, as I wish to get to Florida as quickly as possible. Most likely hugging the coast though. The Intracoastal Waterway, while I hear can be beautiful, seems like it would be too much of a hassle for me.

This trip is still up in the air as to what course I am going to take though. I just don't know
Old 07-04-2009, 06:01   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to FreeSail
Have you given any thought to hurricanes and what you are going to do with your boat if you sail down in the early summer ?
Old 07-04-2009, 06:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSail View Post
Have you given any thought to hurricanes and what you are going to do with your boat if you sail down in the early summer ?
Researchers at Colorado State University are only predicting 7 hurricanes this year to hit land, and I am forecasting that only 1 of these will hit Florida. I have lived in Florida before and am not going to live in fear of El Niño. When I get to Florida I have a friends waterfront place that I can dock. Of course I will be monitoring the weather thoroughly during this period.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:17   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Colorado State University forecast team predicts an average 2009 Atlantic basin hurricane season based on the potential for a weak El Nino event and an observed cooling of tropical Atlantic sea surface temperatures.

The team lowered its forecast from December and now anticipates 12 named storms forming in the Atlantic basin between June 1 and Nov. 30. Six of the storms are predicted to become hurricanes, and of those six, two are expected to develop into intense or major hurricanes (Saffir/Simpson category 3-4-5) with sustained winds of 111 mph or greater.

This forecast has been reduced from the early December prediction of 14 named storms, seven hurricanes and three major hurricanes. Long-term averages are 9.6 named storms, 5.9 hurricanes and 2.3 intense hurricanes per year.

Goto:
April 7TH Update
2009 Atlantic Seasonal Hurricane Forecast

http://tropical.atmos.colostate.edu/...09/apr2009.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:18   #7

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
So to answer your original question. The New Jersey Coast can easily be done offshore. Cape May is an easy in and out if you want to stop. Offshore from there to Norfolk. You can stay inside here if you want, do the Abermarle, Pamlico and go back out at Ocracoke ( weather permitting) And head for Jacksonville. There are so many ways to do this trip, I think crew and conditions will eventually be your guide. I guess my advice would be to be somewhat flexible. Staying inside might be faster and more comfortable at times than beating for days at a time into a headwind.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:06   #8

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
We just arrived in JAX, we left CT in NOV, I know, long time, but we stopped along the way and really enjoyed ourselfs. Some issues we encounter were the bridge leaving Cape May, we just made it at mid tide with a 53' mast. Depths for our 5.5' draft was a challenge, Lockwoods Folley and most of SC and GA. Just plan your day andtides. It really is beautiful and we loved the quiet anchorages. Our next big challange will be going further south and east in the fall. Hope you have a great trip.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, new jersey