Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2024, 09:13   #1

Boat: Cal 33
New Martinique Flag

Hi everyone! Long time listener, first time caller.

We are about a week out from making landfall in Martinique (thanks Elon!) and had a question about courtesy flags for the country.

The island adopted a new black, green, and red flag just last year and great resources like noonsite say to fly the French flag and not the Martinique flag. I wonder if this references the “snake flag” that seems to be for sale as the courtesy flag of choice, although I’ve read this is quite a faux pas and akin to flying something like the confederate flag when making landfall in Florida. However acceptable that may be is another thread.

Before leaving Cape Verde we had a French flag and a new Martinique flag made. If anyone has been there recently, I would love to hear your thoughts. French flag only? New Martinique flag? French over Martinique and fly both simultaneously?

Thanks in advance!

-‘Da Shorts
BermudaShorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 10:48   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: New Martinique Flag

Martinique is a departement of France. Thus you will fly a French courtesy flag. You might fly a regional flag below the French flag where there is one (Guadeloupe, Martinique, Corsica, etc.) if you wish, but those locations are part of France.

We might meet up in a week or so, as I'll be provisioning there on my way down island.
Old 07-05-2024, 13:41   #3

I am in La Marin, Martinique right now. There are hundreds of boats here, and not one single Martinique flag to be seen. You would not fly the New York State flag as a courtesy flag. Same thing. French flag only.

I do not know about the "new" flag, but flying the old Martinique flag was very unpopular with a significant fraction of the local population. I don't know the history of that, but one boat who got that wrong was severely chastised in loud and angry French until he took it down.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 14:18   #4

Boat: Cal 33

Thanks Zanshin, this is the exact info I was looking for. Better to have it and not need it….

We will keep an eye out for you out there.

Harmonie - Thanks for the input! I know the fer de lance flag is unacceptable, yet still widely sold for some reason. I agree that I would never fly a state flag, even under the US flag, as courtesy, but in a place like Quebec that has its own identity, I would understand someone flying the Quebec flag under the Canadian flag because they have such a unique identity as a region and province. Thought Martinique might kind of fall into this category, but you’re right, it’s French soil.

Bottom line, French flag it is! Thank you

Tags
Martinique