Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 15:43   #31

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
OK, so let's do the math. You do a charter on a 50' boat out of St.Thomas:

Day 1: $50
Day 2: $37.5
Days 3-7: $25

That's $212.50 per week, on TOP of the cruising tax of $2/person/day...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 15:51   #32

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I think the cruising tax is $4 per person per day if you're from USVI plus the charge for the parks or whatever. They used to nickel and dime you now I guess the ante's gone up!
Old 02-07-2008, 17:36   #33

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
They won't be charging this private boat--the BVI is off the cruising destinations list. It would be nice to organize a boycott.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 17:47   #34

Boat: Morgan OI 414
I guess my plans are changing too, I am not going to pay those fee's. I have already been there a few times and don't think I will be visiting anytime soon unless things change.
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 19:53   #35

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Wow. Think of how many thousands of dollars won't be dropped in the BVI, all because of a moronic tax. I swear, one should be REQUIRED to take Economics 101 before being allowed to be elected to office...

I'm sure the idiots did the math too: Made an assumption that everyone would still come, in spite of the tax. Here in Texas, they upped the tax on cigarettes $1 a pack. Guess what? Yup. Tax revenue went DOWN. But tax revenues are UP in Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma and New Mexico...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:47   #36
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
BVI Beacon contact

Here's a post from another board. Mr. Marcus would welcome input from cruisers and charters. This looks like the only way to make your voice heard on the topic.

I am a reporter in the BVI researching the topic. It looks as though the government intends to charge the fines to privately owned pleasure yachts and other vessels unless they are registered, licensed, or majority owned by a BVIslander, though talks are ongoing. The start-date has been pushed back until the 15 of July.

I am interested in anyone who would like to share how this fee will impact their choice of the BVI as a sailing destination. How often do you sail in the territory? Since when? Commercially or privately? Will this impact you choice? Or anyone who has their boat in a slip or dry dock in the BVI.

Please feel free to contact me at: mason.d.marcus@gmail.com, or the BVI Beacon Office (284) 494-3434.
Thanks
Mason Marcus
Old 03-07-2008, 12:17   #37
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Thanks Hud, just sent off my 2 cents worth.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:08   #38
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just heard from Steve Black at the Cruising Rally Association. He's been in discussion with the BVI government, and let them know that his organization will go elsewhere if the fees are implemented as proposed. The government apparently did not consult with businesses that would be impacted by these fees until after the fact, and then very sparsely. BVI commercial interests are beginning to realize the negative impacts, and are speaking up.

If you care about this, write to BVI Beacon reporter Mason Marcus, and tell him how you feel about it. mason.d.marcus@gmail.com

EDIT: here's a link to Steve Black's letter to the editor of the BVI Beacon.
The BVI Beacon
Old 04-07-2008, 06:32   #39

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Steve has of yet had no positive response and has had conversation with IGY, owner of Village Cay Marina, about moving the Carib 1500 to their marina in Puerto Rico. I'm sure Puerto Rico will welcome the 75 boats in November.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:40   #40

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Email sent. Thanks for the heads up. On a more positive note, maybe the traffic will thin a bit . . .
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 16:58   #41

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Just got back from seven days of cruising in the BVI. Grand total fees paid for checking in and clearing out for my wife and I...$15. Seemed fair to me. I took the time to speak to a few of the Customs officials at the West End (Tortola) about the fees. They all said that the new fees have been put on hold for a long time. They described all of the negative input from non-BVI registered vessel owners and that they have passed that info up the chain and apparently those at the top are getting the message loud and clear. If such a large increase is made, people will not come and pay the fee, period. It sounds like the increased fee concept is being re-thought and a more moderate increase will most likely be implemented at some point.

When asked about enforcement of new fees starting July 15th there was a resounding NO! from the employees at the office. Let's hope that some common sense finds it's way into the minds of the lawmakers in the BVI.

I have not sailed into other Caribbean countries. What customs and immigration fees do other places charge as compared to the BVI?
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:48   #42
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rubikoop,

That's good news! The bureaucrats have been getting hammered on this, from everything I've heard Maybe common sense will prevail after all.

To answer your question about other islands, here in St Kitts & Nevis, clearance fees are $30 EC ($11 US) for u to a month. Last time I was in French St Martin, it was $7 US. The Dutch side raised their rates recently, and are at or above the BVI fees, I believe.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:00   #43

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
I was planning to leave my boat at the Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbour for Christmas and then cruise the BVI's on my return in January. It now looks like Fort Louis Marina in the French Side of St. Martin and skip BVI's altogether. My boat is in Grenada and I plan to return there.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:26   #44

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Billyehh - the boat-a-meter stops ticking once you go on the hard, that is the information that I received from Nanny Cay.
Zanshin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:57   #45

FWIW... I sent off a note to Mr. Marcus as Hud suggested and he promptly responded with a request to quote some of my points in his article(s). Suggest if you are writing that you provide that permission within your original note.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
British Virgin Islands, fees