Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 17:29   #61

Boat: shannon 38
Maybe I can confuse the issue a bit more. A few years ago I left my boat at Nanny cay Marina BVI for 6 months. Customs informed me because my boat was staying in BVI waters for over 30 days continuous I must pay 200 dollars for import duty. This fee was only good for the calender year so it must be paid every year. Customs had the paperwork completed in less than one hour. I suppose there is a slim chance they are mixing licensing with import duty. I realize this is a bit of a stretch but you never know
sailabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:26   #62
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
The temporary import duty is a totally separate thing from "licensing", which requires an inspection. Licensing your boat would protect it from attracting the new Harbour Fees. I don't believe that the Import Duty would do that, but you wouldn't be charged Harbour Fees for days stored on the hard.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:11   #63

Sailabout, I paid $300 plus for that import duty a few years back when i left my boat for a few months at nanny cay hauled out.
It turns out that boats on the hard are exempt from this fee; so I shouldn't have paid.
One of those cases where you have to inform the customs man yourself as they are confused on this point, intentionally or not; I don't know.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:34   #64

Boat: Beneteau 361 36'5" - Takin' It Easy
some new info re fees

I just received this communication from Captain Sallah - Director of the Virgin Islands Shipping registry :

Dear Mr. Walsh:

The facts are that for a 36-ft boat an Annual Coastal Craft License will cost $204. This is comprised of $150 for Inspection and $54 for the License. This license entitles you to an exemption from the daily charge.

Please revert, if you require more information.

Yours truly,

Capt. Baboucar M. Sallah
Director
Virgin Islands Shipping Registry
3rd Floor, Sebastain Building
Administration Drive
Road Town, Tortola
British Virgin Islands

Tel: (284) 468 2902/2903
Fax284) 468 2913
Email: bsallah@gov.vg
trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover"
Mark Twain
La Bras D'or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:36   #65

Boat: Beneteau 361 36'5" - Takin' It Easy
And now this from Mason Marcus - BVI Beacon

To all:
Thank you very much for you thorough comments and follow-up emails. I do believe that the BVI did not intent to tax private pleasure yachters, or commercial yachters. The law--meant to fine the Cruise Ships using the Ports Authority Dock--cast too wide a net, and in doing so, the BVI has struggled with the after-effect.

I do not believe that the BVI will totally rescind the law. However, after discussions with the VI Shipping Registry, seems that a vessel with a license is exempt from paying the fines.

The license (a coastal craft license) can be obtained for about $200, from the VI Ports Authority, after getting a Certificate of Inspection from the VI Shipping Registry. The license lasts one year. Captain Sallah, head of the VISR has said he will work with yachters who would like to obtain the certificate in advance of coming to the BVI. Yachters with USCG COI's or other safety documents can also send them in advance.

That being said, the $200 Temporary Importation Fee from Customs and per person per day will still apply for private yachts.

Of course, its best to remember that nothing is final until the July 15th start date. The link to the (partial) BVI Beacon article is here: http://bvibeacon.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1559&Ite mid=26.

I'd still like to hear comments from yachters as to whether they will apply for the CCL & COI--or decide to move elsewhere, or field any questions that I might be able to answer.

Thank you again for your help.
Regards,

--
Mason D. Marcus

Reporter
BVI Beacon
Tortola, BVI
C: (284) 540-5102
O: (284) 494-3434
F: (284) 494-9126

mason.d.marcus@gmail.com
bvibeacn@surfbvi.com
trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover"
Mark Twain
La Bras D'or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:37   #66

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by little boat View Post
Sailabout, I paid $300 plus for that import duty a few years back when i left my boat for a few months at nanny cay hauled out.
It turns out that boats on the hard are exempt from this fee; so I shouldn't have paid.
One of those cases where you have to inform the customs man yourself as they are confused on this point, intentionally or not; I don't know.
What you paid was the Temporary Importation Tax (usually 2, not 3 hundred unless they started doing it by size) plus a few extra for the customs clearance, which is pretty normal. If you are going to keep your boat in BVI for over a month this tax is payable and is valid for a year. Keeping your boat in the water or on the hard would not have made a difference to the liability.

The New charges however are Port useage fees. So - if they do get implemented (which at the moment, at least for yotties, is being re-thought) you dont have to pay them whilst on the hard. But you still (as I understand it) have to pay the Importation fee if you are going to stay for over one month. Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:42   #67
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

La Bras D'Or,

Finally some firm facts! Thanks for tracking it down and sharing it.

Tony,

Is the importation permit good for 12 months from when you pay the fee, or for a calendar year?
Old 11-07-2008, 09:53   #68

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
La Bras D'Or,

Finally some firm facts! Thanks for tracking it down and sharing it.

Tony,

Is the importation permit good for 12 months from when you pay the fee, or for a calendar year?
It is valid for the 12 months from when you pay the fee.
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:10   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
my wife and I just visited Culebra for a week last month, including a five day stay aboard our friends boat. what a wonderful, frindy inexpensive place to stay. Not glitzy, but very beautiful beaches, snorkeling, etc.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:41   #70

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Sshhh. Now everyone will want to go there. Let them stay in the BVI.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:52   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
What you paid was the Temporary Importation Tax (usually 2, not 3 hundred unless they started doing it by size) plus a few extra for the customs clearance, which is pretty normal. If you are going to keep your boat in BVI for over a month this tax is payable and is valid for a year. Keeping your boat in the water or on the hard would not have made a difference to the liability.
The New charges however are Port useage fees. So - if they do get implemented (which at the moment, at least for yotties, is being re-thought) you dont have to pay them whilst on the hard. But you still (as I understand it) have to pay the Importation fee if you are going to stay for over one month. Tony
Thanks Tony.
I understood the difference.
I was charged 3 hundred something for the import fee; couldn't have been size as I'm only 27 foot.
A sailing pal happened to be hauled longterm at nanny cay when I went to relaunch and had never paid the fee; he had contested it successfully when requested; he told me to go ask for it back.
After questioning Customs, they agreed the fee was not applicable on the hard and I could file and ask for a refund, but would have to return for the filing papers; they didn't have the form. I just gave up because they said it could take over a year to return my money and I was exasperated.
What can I say? You sound well versed in the regulations which is more than I can say for the actual officials I encountered.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:54   #72

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
This sounds like another case of.........

if you can't afford it stay away. Wealthy only need apply. What is going to happen to all us working stiffs who have smaller boats(and wallets). I personally am not able to afford the costs of some of these places. That of course means they probably don't want people like me coming anyway.

I'm becoming less and less tolerant of the wealthy. I've worked to damn hard for to damn many years. I should have left 20yrs ago but was to busy being a good citizen. Working and paying taxes and putting my kid through school. What I've got after all these years is a 30yo boat and a very small cruising kitty. How about a little equity. Those that CAN pay should.

Eat the rich!
Old 11-07-2008, 13:05   #73
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey, Cantx.

Skip the BVI and cross the Anegada Passage to Marigot, St. Martin. Only $7 US to clear in there! Or just stay in the USVI or Spanish Virgins. No clearance fees for U.S. Citizens there. Then come down to Nevis. $11 US for a 30 day Visa, same as most of the other British heritage islands south of the BVI.
Old 11-07-2008, 20:36   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Bras D'or View Post
The license (a coastal craft license) can be obtained for about $200, from the VI Ports Authority, after getting a Certificate of Inspection from the VI Shipping Registry. The license lasts one year. Captain Sallah, head of the VISR has said he will work with yachters who would like to obtain the certificate in advance of coming to the BVI. Yachters with USCG COI's or other safety documents can also send them in advance.

That being said, the $200 Temporary Importation Fee from Customs and per person per day will still apply for private yachts.

Of course, its best to remember that nothing is final until the July 15th start date. The link to the (partial) BVI Beacon article is here: http://bvibeacon.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1559&Ite mid=26.

I'd still like to hear comments from yachters as to whether they will apply for the CCL & COI--or decide to move elsewhere, or field any questions that I might be able to answer.

Thank you again for your help.
Regards,

--
Mason D. Marcus

Reporter
BVI Beacon
Tortola, BVI
C: (284) 540-5102
O: (284) 494-3434
F: (284) 494-9126

mason.d.marcus@gmail.com
bvibeacn@surfbvi.com

How much is the "per person per day "? What would it cost ,total for a 30ft boat with two people?

WAB
Newbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 21:00   #75

Boat: Cat Sailor
Cantx,
I would be interested to know how you would determine who is "rich" and therefore needs to pay. Not being sarcastic, just genuinely curious.

Cheers, DreamSeeker
DreamSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
British Virgin Islands, fees