Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 16:10   #1

New Sailer with some Questions

Hi there I am new to the forum and Kinda new to sailing. However I am planing a sailing trip to the Bahamas and the Caribbean with a friend of mine. We are planing on leaving september 1st and coming back in january. we we looking to buy a 30-35 foot boat. I would realy like to talk with anyone who has done this trip and get peoples take on sailing during this time since it is huricane season. Thanks for any help

Rodd8715
robd8715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 17:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
anyone who has done this trip and get peoples take on sailing during this time since it is huricane season.
As far as hurricanes go. There are lots of annual predictions about hurricanes for any particular year. They are most always wrong. Hurricane season nominally ends Nov 1st but it does not dictate when they happen. The really nasty ones tend to be in September. Rules of thumb with storms is fine when you don't plan on being around any place in the area.

No matter when you do go you can get serious weather that won't be hurricanes. being able to handle even a gale force storm is not something easy, simple or to be taken lightly.

If you were going to buy a boat to go in September I would have done so by now. You can't shake down a boat in a few weeks then take off for 4 months and expect to understand all the issues. That says nothing of the crew. A crew needs as much time preparing as the boat does.

If you just plan on going along for the ride I would consider getting some experience in before that. You might actually be able to be prepared or at least understand what you are contemplating far better.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 18:39   #3

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
Paul,

Very polite response - Rodd heed Paul's advice.

You truly do not expect to buy an unfounded 30 - 35 sailboat and take off for an extended off shore passage and your only worry would be hurricanes?
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:52   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Agulhas 45
Rodd.I am a full time delivery Captain and have done that trip many times on all sorts of boats and at all times of the year.
It can be sweet and it can be nasty. Be sure of your boat and the crew.
If your light on experience get some......delivery work can be a great way to get in at the deep end and find out if its what you really want to do!
simonEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 13:49   #5

Boat: Columbia 8.7m, Rol'n Rose
simon,

I am interested in doing some long distance sailing to get some experience. Is there a good website to get information.

Thank you,

hank
Hankthelank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 13:55   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
hank,

You could sign up as available crew for the Caribbean 1500--Hampton, VA to Tortola each November. A few boats are always looking for crew.

Cruising Rally Association Volunteer Crew Registry
Old 02-07-2008, 14:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
hank,

You could sign up as available crew for the Caribbean 1500--Hampton, VA to Tortola each November. A few boats are always looking for crew.

Cruising Rally Association Volunteer Crew Registry
Thanks Hud!!
Old 02-07-2008, 14:46   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Agulhas 45
Don't where you are located Hank, but I can tell you that doing a few deliveries will be a much better learning experience in my opinion. We typically sail shorthanded so you are fully involved from the start..you can expect to get paid something too and of course all your expenses. Try calling a few deliver captains in your area. The only problem is that the trips are nearly all short notice..
simonEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 16:44   #9

hi simon,

I'm based out of houston right now. Fixing up an 8.7m Columbia and looking ahead to the time when I can shove off the wharf and say adios to houston traffic!