Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2018, 08:29   #1

Boat: Oyster 55
Newfoundland worth the Trip?

Looking for boaters (all power, sailing mono and multi owners) who have made the trip to Newfoundland. Very interested in visiting various Fiords.
After 7 years have sold my cat and already having withdrawals. Have intermittently cruised the Caribbean fairly extensively since the late 70's but now looking for something different.
Now looking for a new boat and the kind I buy is not as important as what I plan to do with it.
The pictures of Newfoundland I have seen look quite impressive however hope someone out there can give me a little advice.
Do not particularly like cold weather but can endure it for a short time probably in July-August.
Have sailed for several years around Maine and have raced to Halifax so have some idea about fog and cooler climes.
Anyone out there?
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 09:20   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Newfoundland worth the Trip?

I have flown to Newfoundland, it was worth the trip.
It was a long time ago, the “Newfies” are interesting too.
Yes, it was in July or August
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 09:23   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Newfoundland worth the Trip?

There are a few of us here. We keep our small boat in Newfoundland. It’s a big place, you will only be able to experience a small bit.

So past Halifax you will want to do the St Peters canal into the Bra d’ Or lakes. Come out Big Bras d’ Or near slack. Tide over wind here can be really special. It’s a long overnight to St Pierre. Stock up on French Wine and bread. Slowly work you way back. Coming back look for the inside route around Canso, sailing in a forest for a bit.

Ya know how to tell the Newfies in heaven? They are the ones who want to go home. So after this first trip, when you realize you have missed soooo much, then we can talk about the rest of the island.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 09:27   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I’m currently based in NFLD, but just only arrived last season. Hpeer is far more experienced, but of what I’ve seen, I love it. Lots of remote and semi-remote areas to explore. Lots of outports, town to visit. And the people are sterotypically wonderful.
Old 19-05-2018, 10:11   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lewisporte has, IMHO, the best ever yacht club.

https://lewisporteyachtclub.com

https://m.facebook.com/LewisporteYC/

Very good cruising guides here.

https://www.pilot-press.com

And if you have never read it, you. MUST read “The Boat that Wouldn't Float” by Farley Mowat. Don’t ask, indescribable.
Old 19-05-2018, 10:28   #6

As a newfoundlander in these forums, I would like to ask that the use of the term "newfie" be struck from your vocabularies when posting as it is a derogatory term for us. Thank you for your patience. Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown on CNN was blasted for the use of the term in promo tweets.
Old 19-05-2018, 10:36   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy68 View Post
As a newfoundlander in these forums, I would like to ask that the use of the term "newfie" be struck from your vocabularies when posting as it is a derogatory term for us. Thank you for your patience. Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown on CNN was blasted for the use of the term in promo tweets.
Yes … I’ve learned this as well. My father was a Newfoundlander. He proudly called himself a ‘Newfie.' But terms change and I’ve learned not to use it anymore.

BTW, I’m currently at the Bay of Islands Yacht Club in Corner Brook. If anyone is looking for a place on the west coast, give it a look-see.

Offical Web Site of the Bay of Islands Yacht Club - Newfoundland & Labrador
Old 19-05-2018, 11:06   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy68 View Post

Never knew that, when I was there maybe 40 years ago, I learned the term from the people, it’s what they called themselves.
Why is it derogatory?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 11:17   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Newfoundland was our favorite cruising grounds ever--we only wished we had more time. I blogged about our trip there extensively, link is in my signature. Also look in the Cruising World magazine archives, I have three articles there about that trip: May 2015, Feb. 2016, and Oct. 2016.

It is a truly unforgettable place, with truly delightful people.
Old 19-05-2018, 11:45   #10

Boat: Custom 55

We rate Newfoundland up at the very top of places we've visited. Wild, remote, challenging at times. There's lots of wildlife, stunning scenery, a rich history. The place has it all.

And the people are some of the finest we've ever had the pleasure of meeting. In addition, you rarely meet someone on one of the wharves who isn't a mariner, or at least from a family of mariners. We speak the same language.

So, YES!

It's absolutely worth it. It's cold, foggy, often windy as hell, and you have to be self sufficient. But, if you're up for all that, it's awesome. Enjoy. Make sure you've got a heater.
Old 19-05-2018, 15:16   #11

Boat: Custom 55

Ok, one downside... The food's not that great, particularly the produce. But, that's ok.
Old 19-05-2018, 16:07   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Ok, one downside... The food's not that great, particularly the produce. But, that's ok.
That’s why I recommended he stop in St Pierre. The bakery there has some pastry to die for!
Old 19-05-2018, 16:36   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As to the fjords I’ve only been up Grey River and Hare Bay. They are interesting places. What I think I noted was this; the fjords have various arms, at the head of some is an old terminal moraine, behind that is a small fresh water bay. One arm had the moraine near its mouth, the rest of the arm was silted in at 17’ of mud, rose out a tropical storm nicely there.

Anchoring can be interesting as many places have no bottom, bow on a cliff, 200+ feet of water. But you can usually find a place to drop anchor, not a lot of competition.

Some of the towns celebrate a civic holiday, and they used to stagger them so each town would celebrate on a different weekend. Not sure how to research that but may be interesting.

Francious and Grey River are tiny towns, interesting in their own right. No cars, ATVs and skeedoos. Not much in the way of provisions. You won’t starve, but just basic food stuffs. Used to be a daily ferry to Burgeo, I think it still runs.

VHF and cell won’t reach very far up the fjords, sat Phone if you need to talk.

Typically the fog does not extend far inland, so it can be pea soup, cold at the mouth and bright beautiful day up the fjord. Nice scenery, some sheer cliffs. Pretty barren in places. Beware black flies.

Only been there once, much more to see down that way. Cape St Marys has a banner colony, not sure how to do that by boat.

But that coast is maybe 10% to 15% of what there is to see in the region. You won’t see bergs, these are year round ice free harbors. I’ve not seen a lot of whales down there, plenty on the East coast. But I once did see a Blue Whale, I think. I can’t imagine what else it could have been, much bigger than a humpback. Just one blow and a dive, but the back went on forever.
Old 19-05-2018, 16:50   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wild beluga that hung around for a few months
St Pierre Harbor
Horses on Miquelon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0ED27E73-0346-49CE-AA42-014CAE07AD99.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	170087   Click image for larger version

Name:	11D20243-9BDF-49A3-BFB2-0DC645BD8E0C.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	170089  

Click image for larger version

Name:	EC7F6184-0BBA-41D9-AEAB-85D914319296.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	170090  
Old 19-05-2018, 17:40   #15

Boat: Oyster 55

Wow great response and want to thank all contributors.
Sounds like my kind of place just need to get my head around the cold.
However now that you guys have exposed the area probably won't be any place left to anchor because of all the mooring balls.
Do remember my first trip to the Tabago Cays in the late 70's, sailed overnight from Barbados and was the only boat anchored there......now its getting close to the BVI's in congestion so need to move on. Spent some time in Los Roques and Les Aves about 5 years ago but might be a little risky at present. Thought about San Blas but have already been struck by lightning twice. Been to southern coast of Cuba twice and would certainly go back in a heartbeat.
But ......why not Newfoundland it sounds absolutely wonderful.
Now going to find the book "The Boat that wouldn't Float"
Oh yea and buy a boat.
Ciao
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newfoundland