Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2022, 06:20   #16

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: Novice sailors - the hell with it and just head East to the Bahamas??

Fine to go to West End from Lake Worth. Leave at 4am with good weather and aim for a point 15mi south of West End. Spend a day or two there and then go through Indian Cay Cut (if your draft allows it) or up to Memory Rock to get on the Little Bahama Bank. From there you can run over to Great Sale Cay the first day, and then over to Alans-Pensacola or beyond the next day. It's very easy to get to the Abacos once you have gotten to West End. Life is short, don't rush to get back stateside.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 13:21   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

The first time I went to the Abaco's I followed another boat, whose skipper had been there many times.
I tell you what, at first the clarity of the water is frightening. Most US waters you can't see 12" down, so you never think about the bottom, you may see a number on your sounder, but it's kinda meaningless.

In the B'mas you can count every blade of sea grass. It's a beautiful thing of course, but takes a few days to absorb. It's a magical thing though....very addictive....makes you want to go back again...and again...and again..

There is a 99.99% chance you will meet..and end up travelling with another boat or several boats...I dunno how these things happen...but they do....some friendships last a lifetime...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 14:04   #18

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Check for your weather window and just go for it.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 14:29   #19

Boat: Pearson 34-2

I concur with the cheerleaders; Go over the boat as best you can, find a good weather window, and go for it!
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 14:46   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

A lot of people try to wait for a "perfect" weather window...but these rarely come and they don't end going anywhere.
You are not likely to encounter adverse weather.....maybe a front....so most any weather is good. As before, start checking the weather a week before you plan on leaving.
Many people plan on leaving on a certain date, but usually find that a "certain date" can be elusive. Perfect weather is unlikely, a good weather window can happen most any time.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 15:14   #21

Boat: C-26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
You’ll be fine - BUT…

It would be a big mistake to leave from Lake Worth. The Gulf Stream will push you too far north.

Go south to Ft. Lauderdale. Then wait for a perfect weather forecast. West, SW, South or SE wind. 15kt or less.

Don’t get impatient. Wait for the weather window. Might be a week.
Wow. I guess I was on the wrong side of the coin when I ran charters to the Abacos for 10 years on my CSY44 because I always left from Lake Worth in the late evening to arrive at sunrise in West End. Gulf Stream is never a problem. That's just BS. Just add a few degrees SE to your heading to compensate for the 2-3mph push north.
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 15:19   #22

Boat: Nonsuch 354

A couple of years ago I took some courses from Pam Wall. She is a decades long cruiser, lecturer and sailing instructor. She lives in Ft. Lauderdale. She said if you want a hassle free crossing, wait for a storm front from the the north to pass. Leave about midnight after the storm has passed, and sail due east from Ft. Lauderdale. The Gulf Stream will carry you north and about sunrise you will be off West End with a gorgeous sunrise and calm waters.
Old 18-02-2022, 15:22   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Going to west end was 9 hours. Please explain how spending another full day going south would have got me to the Bahamas safer or easier or faster???

Being south gives you more options.

Motoring across into 10-15 kt from the east and the motor quits. Better to have west end to sail to then to beat the way south.

It depends on the overall plan and destination.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 15:23   #24

Boat: KP 46

Many boats wait for a "Good Weather Window". Which to many means flat calm for the time it will take to motor over to Bimini or West End.

Many are still waiting.

In reality, anything under 20 from the south or west is pretty near perfect. The only real hazard on this rather short trip is the traffic, lots of north and south bound ship traffic and lots of fishermen in the stream.

Have a great trip and enjoy the indigo blue. (And don't forget to put some south in your heading to account for the northerly set).

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 15:24   #25

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
Title is a little click baity but not too far from the truth. Long story short, my Dad passed away and March may be our last chance for adventure with his Beneteau 42. In the past year I've gotten all motor maintenance back to current and sails and rigging are brand new. There are a ton of things still on the to do list but as I look at them I think that if I wait for this boat to be perfect I am never going to leave port.

Skill wise I've made the crossing many times via power boat but never as captain. Sailing wise I've taken this boat out solo a handful of times and haven't had serious injury to life or property. I am also reasonable skilled at sailing my Hobie 16. I'm also pretty familiar with the boat since the past 12 years my Dad has had it.

I look at the calendar and it looks like mid March could be my last best shot at taking it to the Bahamas. Nothing crazy, just crossing from Lake Worth and spending 4-5 days at Old Bahama Bay. If I am feeling really aggressive I would love to head to Walkers given my Dad's history with the place.

Armed with the explorer charts, towboat US and a decent weather window.....what's the worst that could happen?! Got to start somewhere right?
Sounds like you are ready. But you didn't say whether you are single handing it or taking your family.

If it is the latter, then are they ready?

If you want to include them in future voyages, don't push them right at the start.
Old 18-02-2022, 15:35   #26

Boat: Nonsuch 354

Please explain how spending another full day going south would have got me to the Bahamas safer or easier or faster???

It won't if you think that is the only place to start from. Of course you can start from where ever you are. I plan to start from Ft. Lauderdale. I have not made the trip yet, but I do try to listen to those with more experience than I, and this sounds like reasonable advice. The Gulf Stream, so I hear, can be problematic if you are going against it, so leaving from a place that will let you use it to your advantage seems reasonable.
Old 18-02-2022, 15:36   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Wow, I've made a big mistake 3 years in a row! Lake Worth once to great harbour, and twice Lake Worth to west end.
Going to west end was 9 hours. Please explain how spending another full day going south would have got me to the Bahamas safer or easier or faster???
Sure, there is nothing wrong with leaving from Lake Worth Inlet and it's a choice I often made; however, if you are going to wait a day for better weather, I would use that day to take the short trip down to Lauderdale for the better ride with the Gulfstream. I would also leave from Port Everglades if I was more pleased with the plan for more sailing and less motoring.
Old 18-02-2022, 15:58   #28

Boat: Pearson 10M

go for it!
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 17:11   #29

Go for it.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 17:33   #30

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I'm late to this game, but you stated You have experience crossing in a motorboat.

Then no problem.

Motor across, and sail when you get there.

That's how I got MY boat home, after years of motorboating, and buying first sail boat.

Take some sailing lessons before you go, then when the wind is good, put them up.

Wind bad, or weird, or confused, take em down, and go back to motoring.

Get the engine professionally checked before you leave, and brim the tanks with fresh fuel.

See you out there, I'm going in a few weeks.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, head, novice, sail