Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2023, 13:20   #76

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: NY to Bahamas - First Time - Offshore

Quote:
Gales can appear with no warning as a low explodes as it moves over the ocean.
I have learned that with October/November cold fronts it is best to wait somewhere safe for the frontal passage and only then go once you know the actual intensity of the winds. Sometimes what is forecast to be 20-30 becomes 30-40 instead. Northers against the Gulf Stream are brutal!

By the way, the edge of the Gulf Stream goes right to Cape Hatteras.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2023-10-17_16-27-14.png
Views:	60
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	282208  
Old 17-10-2023, 15:38   #77

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

General ideas about Cape Hatteras, or any other place, are fine, but what you really need is good weather on the day.

It doesn't matter if Hatteras is known for gales when lows blast off the coast if you are in the middle of a high pressure area. No low is going to sneak up on you, as long as you have a good forecast.

This is a good reason to stay reasonably close to shore, if you don't have a satellite connection, so you can grab the forecast every day using your phone.

A good program like Luck Grip can also provide you with up-to-date forecasts for the Gulf Stream. Just use the RTOFS model under 'Ocean'. You are interested in the water temperature at 0 meters. Here is the forecast for today. It doesn't change all that fast, but it does change from day to day. BTW, don't take any forecast literally. It's a forecast, not a fact!

As usual, there is a .5 knot counter current down to Diamond Shoals. Once you are past that, you'll have the same against you to Point Lookout. Neither one should kick up much of a sea, as long as the wind is reasonable.

Again, historical references are great, but what you need is actual good weather. As long as you pick the right day, you should be fine.

BTW, I've taken the inside track myself, on a good day, but in a 40' steel ketch. It wasn't fun but it wasn't life threatening. If I were you, I would take the ICW, but you seem fixed on going outside, so this is your best option for that. Going outside the GS without a real blue water boat, a way to get forecasts offshore, life raft, etc., is not prudent, IMHO.

Just pick your weather carefully and make sure you can depend on your engine, which as I said you will probably need to make good time.

Good luck.
Old 17-10-2023, 16:14   #78

General ideas about Cape Hatteras, or any other place, are fine, but what you really need is a good weather forecast. It doesn't matter if Hatteras is known for gales when lows blast off the coast if you are in the middle of a high pressure area which you will be. No low is going to sneak up on you, as long as you have a good forecast.

A good program like Luck Grip can also provide you with up-to-date forecasts for the Gulf Stream. Just use the RTOFS model under 'Ocean'. You are interested in the water temperature at 0 meters. Here is the forecast for today. It doesn't change all that fast, but it does change from day to day. BTW, don't take any forecast literally. It's a forecast, not a fact!

You won't be able to sleep much so close to shore, and this will be the real challenge, because it's going to take you a couple of days to get all the way around. It's about 200 miles from the mouth of the Chesapeake to the Point Lookout anchorage.

BTW, I've taken the inside-the-GS track myself, on a good day, but in a 40' steel ketch with another crew to keep watch. It wasn't fun but it wasn't life threatening. If I were you, I would take the ICW route and enjoy the ride, but you seem fixed on going outside, so this is your best option for that -- if you can figure out how to stay awake for 48 hours. I couldn't do it.

Going outside the GS without a real blue water boat, life raft, etc., is not prudent, IMHO.

Good luck.
Old 21-10-2023, 17:51   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I have learned that with October/November cold fronts it is best to wait somewhere safe for the frontal passage and only then go once you know the actual intensity of the winds. Sometimes what is forecast to be 20-30 becomes 30-40 instead. Northers against the Gulf Stream are brutal!

By the way, the edge of the Gulf Stream goes right to Cape Hatteras.
That's the reason "I prefer" to go east of the GS around 120/140 NM EAST from Cape Hatteras.
Looks like a weather window is coming for me to leave on Monday night or even Tuesday morning.
I will wait until the wind easy up.
As per the NOAA set of charts for that period it's looks promissing.
Please let me know what you think based on your experience.
Thank you !
CS30 Lee Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2023, 18:03   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
General ideas about Cape Hatteras, or any other place, are fine, but what you really need is a good weather forecast. It doesn't matter if Hatteras is known for gales when lows blast off the coast if you are in the middle of a high pressure area which you will be. No low is going to sneak up on you, as long as you have a good forecast.

You won't be able to sleep much so close to shore, and this will be the real challenge, because it's going to take you a couple of days to get all the way around. It's about 200 miles from the mouth of the Chesapeake to the Point Lookout anchorage.

BTW, I've taken the inside-the-GS track myself, on a good day, but in a 40' steel ketch with another crew to keep watch. It wasn't fun but it wasn't life threatening. If I were you, I would take the ICW route and enjoy the ride, but you seem fixed on going outside, so this is your best option for that -- if you can figure out how to stay awake for 48 hours. I couldn't do it.

Going outside the GS without a real blue water boat, life raft, etc., is not prudent, IMHO.

Good luck.

Thank you for your insight.
I know the risk is high but is something that I will have to endure.
My life raft will be my own boat, I don't think is any chance of survival on a life raft this time of the year on a life raft anyway.

Tell me your opinion on leaving this coming Monday.
I have been studying the NOAA aynoptic charts and looks like a good weather window is coming to leave on Monday night or Tuesday morning.

The reason I want to go outside the GS is because I think that is less dangerous to be away from land and also to have some sea room in case I have to heave to for weather.
If I'm inside the GS and close to the continent I will be expose to bad weather often and no enough sea room to hove to.
I know the waves might get really high out there.

Thank you
Old 21-10-2023, 18:10   #81

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/basicwx/day0-7loop.html
Old 21-10-2023, 19:05   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfant Du Vent View Post
Ahoy CS30:
You posted, "By the way, after having experienced the Erie Canal and Hudson River, I am more convinced that I have to go offshore.
Main reason is the constant watch required for drifting logs, other boats and the fact that can't sail at night. ...."
-I would suggest you change "have to go offshore" to "prefer to go offshore"... The ICW may bore you to death--but it won't drown you .

-Each of the 4 single-handed trips south on my 32' sailboat were done by making "hops" that got me offshore far enough to avoid logs / fishing boats and allowed--hell required--sailing at night. I had an Aries wind vane.

-NY--or for Me Buzzards Bay--to Cape May, Cape May to Norfolk, ICW to Beaufort, NC (a good sailor I knew in Charleston said to NEVER go outside Hatteras--he and a skipper did.....only he survived when they were blown ashore.) Then I would go Beaufort to Charleston, and finally Charleston to Cape Canaveral. From there over to the Bahamas.
interesting.
ZoroMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2023, 04:36   #83

Quote:
The reason I want to go outside the GS is because I think that is less dangerous to be away from land and also to have some sea room in case I have to heave to for weather.
If I'm inside the GS and close to the continent I will be expose to bad weather often and no enough sea room to hove to.
I know the waves might get really high out there.
Note that Hurricane Tammy's long-range track models are all over the place, with some of them putting her between Bermuda and the East Coast by the end of the week.

If it were me personally, I would take what the weather is giving you and head south to Cape May, NJ, and then Norfolk, VA, and then inside the ICW at least to Beaufort, where you could jump back outside again if the weather permitted.
Old 22-10-2023, 05:36   #84

Quote:
Note that Hurricane Tammy's long-range track models are all over the place, with some of them putting her between Bermuda and the East Coast by the end of the week.

If it were me personally, I would take what the weather is giving you and head south to Cape May, NJ, and then Norfolk, VA, and then inside the ICW at least to Beaufort, where you could jump back outside again if the weather permitted.
Thank you, I am starting to change my mind about going offshore due the weather conditions.
You are right, Tammy looks like is going to be all over the places and although the two High system coming by, changes might happened.

Taking small steps towards the BHM will be the way to go.
Old 22-10-2023, 08:37   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS30 Lee Rig View Post
Thank you, I am starting to change my mind about going offshore due the weather conditions.
You are right, Tammy looks like is going to be all over the places and although the two High system coming by, changes might happened.

Taking small steps towards the BHM will be the way to go.
That’s smart, I think.

Monday looks good for sailing past NJ. You should be able to reach the Cape May or Cape Henlopen anchorage before the wind dies.

What to do after that? It depends on your engine and fuel tanks.

If you have enough fuel to carry on towards Cape Hatteras in very low wind conditions, that would be ideal, but it’s a long way to motor, I know. Assuming Tammy stays away, you should see favorable winds return Thursday for rounding Hatteras.

You can then put into Beaufort for fuel, and for a good rest!

If the window closes before you reach Hatteras, you can put into Norfolk area to refuel and wait. Or you could take the inside route to Beaufort (hint, hint!)

Or you could head up the Delaware and use the C&D canal to reach the Chesapeake. You could easily spend a week or two sailing down the Chesapeake, depending on the weather which can be nasty. This is the LONG route!

The game is to use every opportunity to move south, while not taking undue risks. It’s supposed to be fun!

With Tammy in the picture, it’s vital to get weather updates. If you don’t have a satellite phone or SSB, you need to sail coastwise to get updates as often as possible.

Stay safe!
Old 22-10-2023, 10:29   #86

Good, I like that plan.
I might shoot to Cape Henlope and wait there for weather and in the mean time check for Tammy behaviour.
From there I might keep going coastal to Chesapeake. (Sorry I just can’t do no more canals….))

Now, from Norfolk I’ll be checking the weather and make a decision to go offshore again or Beaufort.

Sound like a better plan now, heh ?!!
Old 22-10-2023, 11:34   #87

Much better! You will learn a lot hopping down the coast.
Old 22-10-2023, 13:43   #88

Quote:
Now, from Norfolk I’ll be checking the weather and make a decision to go offshore again or Beaufort.
The ICW from Norfolk to Beaufort is one of my favorite stretches. It's only about 205 miles, but includes a little bit of everything. If you take the main route there are no locks to deal with, and you can have some nice sailing across Albemarle Sound and down the Neuse River. Nice little towns to visit like Oriental, which is very sailing oriented with a friendly community. Beaufort itself is a great place to get the right weather to head offshore. Cape Hatteras at this time of year can be tricky since you are either fighting the wind or dealing with a norther creating short, steep seas in shallow water.
Old 22-10-2023, 14:12   #89

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
The ICW from Norfolk to Beaufort is one of my favorite stretches. It's only about 205 miles, but includes a little bit of everything. If you take the main route there are no locks to deal with, and you can have some nice sailing across Albemarle Sound and down the Neuse River. Nice little towns to visit like Oriental, which is very sailing oriented with a friendly community. Beaufort itself is a great place to get the right weather to head offshore. Cape Hatteras at this time of year can be tricky since you are either fighting the wind or dealing with a norther creating short, steep seas in shallow water.
I agree with kettlebell, that stretch of icw is among the best. In 9 trips between Florida and Chesapeake, that is the only stretch we do every time. The rest is we have done inside and out depending on weather.
However, there is a lock no matter which way you go, great bridge for Virginia cut, or 2 for dismal swamp. They are all very easy though. Only a foot or so with great bridge lock. All the tenders are very helpful with lines and stuff.
From Beaufort NC, there are lots of options depending on duration of weather window. If it's a short window though I would recommend Beaufort to Wrightsville Beach, then inside to use the cape fear River for a free ride(and to avoid frying pan shoals) and outside from there .
After that there are so many good inlets you can do several small jumps, or 1 or 2 big ones .
Just for reference, we were up in your area this summer and left new York (sandy hook) Oct 2.
With about 50/50 inside and out we got to Jacksonville Florida in 2 weeks. Including a couple days off due to weather and visiting friends.
The biggest issue is always weather. Make your plan, but mark your bailout points as well.
Cape henlope (Lewes) is a great stopping point. We used it going north. If weather allows a straight run to Norfolk, that's a good chunk of the hard part done!
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2023, 14:21   #90

Quote:
However, there is a lock no matter which way you go, great bridge for Virginia cut, or 2 for dismal swamp. They are all very easy though. Only a foot or so with great bridge lock. All the tenders are very helpful with lines and stuff.
Forgot about the lock on the Virginia Cut because it has been wide open most of the times I've been through there.
Quote:
With about 50/50 inside and out we got to Jacksonville Florida in 2 weeks. Including a couple days off due to weather and visiting friends.
That's good time! What we usually do is keep plugging down the ICW until the weather looks good for going outside and then just take the next major inlet out until the weather looks to turn against us and then go back inside. We keep moving, inside or outside, whichever is better.

Tags
Bahamas, offshore