Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2013, 06:01   #46
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: okeechobee lake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Yea, it is just like if you go into a high-end mall in Cleveland, or San Diego or Panama City, they all look alike. Sayings these islands are all alike is about the same as saying that Lake Okeechobee is the same as Miami Beach - both in FLA.

not enough of a difference to justify $300 for a week.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 06:20   #47
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
yes, i would be ok with it, if i wanted to spend 3 months there. Bahamas, USVI, Aruba, i doubt there is much difference in geography.
If you believe that -- why cruise?
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 06:23   #48
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
If you believe that -- why cruise?

people, and exotic locations.
many goals. i hope by the time i get to the middle east things have calmed down again. i love foreign peoples.
Old 13-10-2013, 06:25   #49

Boat: Outbound 44

[QUOTE=scoobert;1363678..... i love foreign peoples.[/QUOTE]
Yea, they are so cute and cuddly
Old 13-10-2013, 06:38   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Yea, they are so cute and cuddly
the showered ones are.
Old 13-10-2013, 20:24   #51

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

The summer storms in the area of that lake can be bodacious but it should be pretty good right now.
Fer real. Waterspouts all around, lightning, heavy downpours, dropped anchor, and rode it out. No storms on the radar or alerts when we left the west side of the lake, but by the time we got 1/3 the way across, there were some really scary cells popping up.

Definitely a short cut. Made it from Punta Gorda to Oriental in 7 days. Scoobert your boat is too big for Okeechobee, but not too big for the ICW or Atlantic.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 21:32   #52

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

In the remarks the owner explains how he gets the mast low enough without using complicated calculations. It is actually quite simple.
Old 13-10-2013, 21:53   #53

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Scoobert, yall might try some bottom paint before ya leave! Most of us try to have at least semi- new bottom paint before we leave ! saves money haveing it done in the middle of nowhere! Just a thought! Not a whole heck of a lot of fresh water out there!
Old 14-10-2013, 00:03   #54

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
anyone dare to do the math on what degree of list i would need to be less then 49' high?
28* to get to 49' and 20* to get to 52'.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 00:07   #55

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Quote:
A 49 ft clearance with a 55 ft mast works out as 27* - at least thats what I got with a handy online trig calculator. To get some space and safety you'd probably need go to 30*. Seems like a lot. Not sure why you'd want to go to LK Okeechobee
Several hundred miles shorter than sailing around the south tip to swap coasts.
Old 14-10-2013, 00:15   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Sea Monkey View Post
OK, I get that the mast would have extra compression with this type of loading, but the uphill (normally windward) shrouds should have no more tension than if sailing at the same angle of heel, right? Or am I missing something...?
For the same angle of heel as sailing the compression in the mast would be lower because the load would be concentrated at the tip rather than distributed, but the load in the upper shroud would be higher SDPD the same reason.
Old 14-10-2013, 01:55   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Scoobert, yall might try some bottom paint before ya leave! Most of us try to have at least semi- new bottom paint before we leave ! saves money haveing it done in the middle of nowhere! Just a thought! Not a whole heck of a lot of fresh water out there!
after September 30, all boat lifts here are occupied. everyone is getting out of the water, and shrink wrapped.
i may just have it done down south, its $21 a foot.
$980 is not too bad. $480 for a second coat.

thou honestly i am planning to take the gelcoat off next year, awlgrip it, then build my layers. thats why i am not messing about this winter.
Old 14-10-2013, 04:03   #58

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Not sure I would go to Okeechobee. They are having a severe algae bloom problem. It is recommended that you have no contact with the water in the St. Lucie River. The black plume goes all the way out the St. Lucie inlet and up along the beach. There has been 111 Manatee deaths this year, mostly attributed to the algae bloom. It is caused by water released from the lake. That water is tainted with run off from the cane fields and out flow from the canals that have a very high bacterial level. Big sugar has big money and are able to do almost anything they want, along with a governor who doesn't seem to think that restoring the Everglades is necessary, and there should be no limits on business. Therefore, there is no fishing, swimming, boating going on. I winter in Stuart, and for the first time, I am thinking about not going, it may not be worth it if you can't use it's greatest resource.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 05:00   #59

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

They call him "The Heeler"
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 05:29   #60
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
Not sure I would go to Okeechobee. They are having a severe algae bloom problem. It is recommended that you have no contact with the water in the St. Lucie River. The black plume goes all the way out the St. Lucie inlet and up along the beach. There has been 111 Manatee deaths this year, mostly attributed to the algae bloom. It is caused by water released from the lake. That water is tainted with run off from the cane fields and out flow from the canals that have a very high bacterial level. Big sugar has big money and are able to do almost anything they want, along with a governor who doesn't seem to think that restoring the Everglades is necessary, and there should be no limits on business. Therefore, there is no fishing, swimming, boating going on. I winter in Stuart, and for the first time, I am thinking about not going, it may not be worth it if you can't use it's greatest resource.

that is a whole lot of opinions, and even more speculation.