Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2019, 13:57   #46

Boat: Custom Catamaran
Re: Panama or Overland Mexico / US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
But selling the cat doesnt solve the dog problem, selling the dog does.
Is that an option?
No.

The end outcome is to get both the dog and catamaran back to Aus. Looks like sailing them both back and flying the dog to Aus from Fiji is the only real workable solution.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 14:21   #47

I think you need to look at this as two completely different problems, for which their solutions may have no overlap whatsover. If you just wanted to get the dog back to Oz, what would be the best way to do it? Likewise, if you just wanted to get the boat to Oz, what would be the best way to do that?

If you sail across the Pacific with the dog, you will also have problems entering Hawaii, which also has strict quarantine against rabies, unless coming from another rabies-free island (like Britain or Oz). Hawaii does not consider the US mainland to be rabies free. I checked on Fiji quarantine, and it looks like they don't allow animal importation by boat, period.

I've heard rumors that Hawaiian Air is working on having non-stop flights from London to Hawaii.
stevenhigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 14:30   #48

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
No.

The end outcome is to get both the dog and catamaran back to Aus. Looks like sailing them both back and flying the dog to Aus from Fiji is the only real workable solution.

N
I understand, my late wife had a menagerie (2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 parrots). I paid to have them shipped between the USA and Central America...twice.

We cruised with the cats and one parrot. If you think cruising with a dog can be a pain...you should try a parrot thats a protected species!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 14:39   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Panama or Overland Mexico / US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenhigbee View Post
I think you need to look at this as two completely different problems, for which their solutions may have no overlap whatsover. If you just wanted to get the dog back to Oz, what would be the best way to do it? Likewise, if you just wanted to get the boat to Oz, what would be the best way to do that?

If you sail across the Pacific with the dog, you will also have problems entering Hawaii, which also has strict quarantine against rabies, unless coming from another rabies-free island (like Britain or Oz). Hawaii does not consider the US mainland to be rabies free. I checked on Fiji quarantine, and it looks like they don't allow animal importation by boat, period.

I've heard rumors that Hawaiian Air is working on having non-stop flights from London to Hawaii.
One does not sail to Oz via Hawaii.. its Panama, Marquesas, Samoa, Vanuatu then Oz.. other stops on the way are optional.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 14:50   #50

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

If you want to ship an animal by air from the US perhaps try all the airlines flying that route, I know Qantas has carried animals on that route.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 00:58   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
If you want to ship an animal by air from the US perhaps try all the airlines flying that route, I know Qantas has carried animals on that route.
That’s a good point... I’ll give Qantas cargo a call in the morning and see if they’ll do it.

N
Old 21-01-2019, 00:59   #52

Quote:
I understand, my late wife had a menagerie (2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 parrots). I paid to have them shipped between the USA and Central America...twice.

We cruised with the cats and one parrot. If you think cruising with a dog can be a pain...you should try a parrot thats a protected species!
Hahaha I can only imagine!! It’s an expensive undertaking shipping a pet, and I’m also trying to balance what’s right by the dog, as well as the bank balance. Sure, my parents could look after him for seven months while I sail the boat back but that’s one hell of an imposition...
Old 21-01-2019, 01:00   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
One does not sail to Oz via Hawaii.. its Panama, Marquesas, Samoa, Vanuatu then Oz.. other stops on the way are optional.
Haha ta for that - you beat me to it. I might end up hitting you up for a delivery quote (UK to Carib) if I end up flying the dog back (UK to Aus) then coming back to collect the boat and sail it through Panama and onwards to Aus.

N
Old 21-01-2019, 03:47   #54

Quote:
Haha ta for that - you beat me to it. I might end up hitting you up for a delivery quote (UK to Carib) if I end up flying the dog back (UK to Aus) then coming back to collect the boat and sail it through Panama and onwards to Aus.

N
You could just adopt boatie, hes probably rabies free and would not require quarantee, may be cheaper than the dog AND he can sail your boat! [emoji16]
Old 21-01-2019, 03:50   #55

Quote:

N
I think the UK-AU flight option might be best for the dog...months at sea are not going to be easy on it...and sounds like it might be the cheapest option considering quaranteen costs.
Old 21-01-2019, 04:07   #56

Quote:
I think the UK-AU flight option might be best for the dog...months at sea are not going to be easy on it...and sounds like it might be the cheapest option considering quaranteen costs.
So these are the options and the conundrum.

1.) Fly dog back and sail to Aus. Dog shipping costs alone are circa £5k - £6k, then I need to fly there back and then sail to Aus. That also leaves the dog with my folks for 7 months over an Australian summer (40C+)

2.) Sail back to Aus with the dog. Some countries will charge a dog fee, but in general it doesn’t look too pricey. Costs will be £1k for Aud import permit, then dog shipping costs from Fiji to Aus (£1k max I’m thinking). Dog stays with me the whole time over a Caribbean winter (28C max weather), then across South Pacific over winter (again similar temps). Lastly, doggo only has to spend two weeks with the folks while I sail Fiji to Aus.

So that’s it at the mo. There’s a LOT more plusses to taking doggo with and while he’ll have to spend 3 weeks at a time at sea, he’s a labrador and sleeps regularly, plus I’ll run him whenever we make landfall and he’s allowed ashore. So yep. That’s where it’s at currently!

N
Old 21-01-2019, 04:21   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Panama or Overland Mexico / US?

Quote:
You could just adopt boatie, hes probably rabies free and would not require quarantee, may be cheaper than the dog AND he can sail your boat! [emoji16]
Dunno about Rabies Free..
There's a lorra peepel think I'm mad..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 11:58   #58

Quote:
I checked on Fiji quarantine, and it looks like they don't allow animal importation by boat, period.

Just received an email from the Head of Biosecurity in Fiji. They’ll allow importation of the dog for the purpose of then flying him to Aus.

I’d also be amazed if they open up a London -> Hawaii direct route.... that’s some serious distance!!

N
Old 21-01-2019, 13:54   #59

I'm not sure what you gain by flying from Fiji. It looks like you need a full 6 months of stopping only in approved countries before arriving in Australia, whether by boat or by air. It looks like they accommodate arrival by boat, as long as you can document the ports of call for the previous 6 months.
Department of Agriculture and Water Resources Cats and dogs travelling to Australia on private vessels

There may be an advantage to only visiting the "class 2" certified rabies-free islands during the 6 months prior to arrival in Australia. I presume you know which they are, but for continuity of the thread here's the list: American Samoa, Bahrain, Barbados, Christmas Island, Cook Island, Falkland Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Hawaii, Iceland, Japan, Kiribati Mauritius, Nauru, New Caledonia, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Kingdom of Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna. But then you need to check the quarantine rules for each island regarding the dog, while the "class 3" countries probably don't have any.

It looks like Hawaii has eased its quarantine requirements since I lived there. With proper medical certification and documentation, you can avoid quarantine altogether. I couldn't find any requirement at all if you arrive by boat, but I think I would still do the documentation and get the permit before arriving, if that was the route being taken.
stevenhigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 01:10   #60

Quote:
I'm not sure what you gain by flying from Fiji. It looks like you need a full 6 months of stopping only in approved countries before arriving in Australia, whether by boat or by air. It looks like they accommodate arrival by boat, as long as you can document the ports of call for the previous 6 months.
Department of Agriculture and Water Resources Cats and dogs travelling to Australia on private vessels

There may be an advantage to only visiting the "class 2" certified rabies-free islands during the 6 months prior to arrival in Australia. I presume you know which they are, but for continuity of the thread here's the list: American Samoa, Bahrain, Barbados, Christmas Island, Cook Island, Falkland Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Hawaii, Iceland, Japan, Kiribati Mauritius, Nauru, New Caledonia, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Kingdom of Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna. But then you need to check the quarantine rules for each island regarding the dog, while the "class 3" countries probably don't have any.

It looks like Hawaii has eased its quarantine requirements since I lived there. With proper medical certification and documentation, you can avoid quarantine altogether. I couldn't find any requirement at all if you arrive by boat, but I think I would still do the documentation and get the permit before arriving, if that was the route being taken.
I got in contact with AQIS and they’ve categorically stated a dog cannot be landed in Australia on a private vessel.

The issue is finding someone to look after him in Aus for 4-5 months while I sail the boat back... if I can find someone to do that, then the conundrum is a lot easier. You’d think with two sets of parents (who’ve always had dogs) and FIVE brothers (4 of whom have had dogs) someone would be able to assist🤦🏻*♂️

Anyway, that’s just me venting. If no-one in Aus can take him I’ll sail him back to Fiji and the worst case scenario is we have to go through the rabies process again and spend 6 months there! I can live with that🙂

N

Tags
Mexico, Panama