Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2019, 12:58   #61

Re: Panama or Overland Mexico / US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
I got in contact with AQIS and they’ve categorically stated a dog cannot be landed in Australia on a private vessel.
Any time the government provides no legal method of achieving something, it pretty much guarantees that people are going to figure out a method of achieving it that is other than legal. Rabies don't come into anywhere via vaccinated, beloved family pets. If it comes in, it will be via stowaway critters such as bats on board cargo containers.

I know what I would do under your circumstances. I won't say what it is, but you should absolutely not do what I would do.
stevenhigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 13:57   #62

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenhigbee View Post
Any time the government provides no legal method of achieving something, it pretty much guarantees that people are going to figure out a method of achieving it that is other than legal. Rabies don't come into anywhere via vaccinated, beloved family pets. If it comes in, it will be via stowaway critters such as bats on board cargo containers.

I know what I would do under your circumstances. I won't say what it is, but you should absolutely not do what I would do.
Having recently traveled to Oz, I can tell you their Bio Security folks take their jobs quite seriously. It would not be my country of choice for trying to slide something by the officials.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 02:27   #63

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Yep, as irritating as Aus biosecurity rules are and as much as I’d happily try and sneak a regularly wormed, well looked after, and heavily vaccinated Labrador into the country, Aus doesn’t mess around with incoming boats and it would be very, very difficult to do.

In saying all this, the Aus Government vet I’ve been speaking with has been brilliant and has given me a full step-by-step approach on what I’d need to do to get doggo to Aus.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 06:18   #64

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Yes, I found them very helpful too, but clearly not tolerant of any BS.

I came into Oz after trekking in Nepal. Cleaned and sanitized my relevant gear and bagged it. Explained my procedure on arrival, a quick look at the gear, and they were good with it.

There can be a $400 "instant fine" if you dont properly declare something. I can only image how ugly it could get if they caught someone trying to smuggle a pooch in via boat...likely lose the pooch and the boat I suspect.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 07:46   #65

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, I found them very helpful too, but clearly not tolerant of any BS.

I came into Oz after trekking in Nepal. Cleaned and sanitized my relevant gear and bagged it. Explained my procedure on arrival, a quick look at the gear, and they were good with it.

There can be a $400 "instant fine" if you dont properly declare something. I can only image how ugly it could get if they caught someone trying to smuggle a pooch in via boat...likely lose the pooch and the boat I suspect.
Yep agreed! I went to Aus from the Bahamas with a number of conch shells, declared them, they gave them a quick clean and I was let on my way.

I’d hate to think what they’d do if you tried to smuggle a dog in...

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, Panama