Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2023, 16:41   #16

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Panama to Caribbean Islands in May/June

We are in Bocas del Toro.

Some good advice given. We are in Panama, because it's way better than the Eastern Caribbean. It's just gone to crap.

If I were needing to be in Europe, I think I'd work my way up to Isla Mujeres MX, then to Florida, then cross the Atlantic. Spend your time in Panama: San Blas Islands, and Bocas del Toro. Also, no hurricanes to worry about.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 08:38   #17

Panama to San Andreas ,Providencia, Jamaica,under
Haiti/ Dom. Rep. , Prico (Ponce,Salinas) , Virgins ,,then
make your way south from there,,,
You may find the wind in your favour at time and might be
Able to shorten the trip here or there but it's still the
Most comfortable way to go...
I do a lot of deliveries out of the sth west Caribbean,
Owners want their boats in a hurry in the eastern Carib.
I'll do it but the boats get beaten up pretty badly...
You're going to enjoy boating a lot more by " Going
Comfortable "
mindsofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 16:43   #18

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Jedi knows this area well and you should use his advice, which is consistent with my own more limited experience.

The first problem you have is the very short time you have to work with before the hurricane season. It is unlikely that you have the time to reach the Lesser Antilles before it starts. So I would first identify where you want to hang out while waiting out the hurricanes, that is within reach of Panama in a couple or three weeks. Panama itself is a good choice. Columbia would be possible; I just don't know about the security situation (much better than when I was there). Cartagena is a good stop. I spent a while (half a year) in Curacao (Spanish Water) and liked that; Aruba is lacking in marina facilities and is a tourist trap, while Bonaire is great for diving and does have a decent marina but otherwise is just a small town which might get old. It would be difficult to reach Trinidad or Grenada in time but it is possible if you put your mind to it. In the time just before the hurricane season the winds drop and you might just be able to motor east at a decent clip. Otherwise the trip east, above Venezuela, is going to be hard fought and at all times a security risk - stay well north.

The comments about Santa Marta are important to understand. As the pilot charts show, the worst conditions in the Caribbean are to be found just north of there, and there is often dangerous flotsam (e.g. logs) as well. The river outlet is partly responsible. The recommended passage is to arrive at the river outlet at first light and cross between the breakwaters while the wind is down. This minimizes exposure to flotsam and keeps the track protected from the strong winds further north as well as the strong winds that come down the river. I left from Cartagena, leaving in time to clear the outer harbor before dark (at least it used to be a dangerous place at night). This allowed for clearing the river in the early light and afterwards we sailed non-stop to Aruba. It was good sailing until we had to come out of the peninsula's shadow for the final crossing to Aruba: the current and wind were quite strong so progress was little more than 1kn to good - your boat will do better of course.

I don't have any experience on the east coast of Central America so nothing to add there. Personally I would never spend hurricane season in the high risk areas of the Caribbean, so that limits things to the above recommendations. YMMV

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2023, 18:32   #19

Wow yes, I hate to say it but after sailing the Caribbean for 13 yrs, this is a passage I don’t care to make. Especially on a 40’ Jenneau. No offense to a Jenneau but this is bashing on a new level. Much Larger more powerful vessels have made this trip with much difficulty and more often, damage.

I costal hopped the majority of the Venezuelan coast from Morrocoy Venezuela to Trinidad in our Kelly Peterson 44 and it was a tough trip but I could tuck into ports and anchorages along the way. Today it would be suicide to do that with the politics, poverty and piracy all along that coast. We did it just before it turned bad.

Me, I would be tempted to sail the western Caribbean to Fl keys if needed a stop in Miami / Ft Lauderdale area for re supply/ repairs. And through the Bahamas to either DR PR or VI. I sailed from Turks I direct to BVI. Waited for a lull in the trades and as others have sail motor or motor sail east until you can clear the banks and set an easy reach to BVI or where ever. Actually worked out very well, a nice passage. Picking through the Bahamas is enjoyable with many great stops available. I went from Abaco to San Salvador to Abrams bay, Mayaguana and on to the E end of Caicos Banks, then through to S Caicos and Turks. And we draw 6.7 feet! So you can defitily make it. There were many more stops in the Bahamas but we had spent a lot of time there in the past. So found this a clean efficient route. To VI’s.

Once in the VIs it’s pretty easy and enjoyable to work south. VI’s to St Martin is the only some what difficult over nighter on the way south. We followed the old Donald Streets guide on this passage and it worked! We have made this passage back and forth from VIs to Grenada and Trinidad a number of times, playing the seasons. Trinidad is the only true hurricane free area. Be easy to hang around Grenada area and a quick overnighter to Trinidad on the outside chance of a Hurricane. And don’t fool yourself. Grenada can and has gotten devastating hurricanes. Good luck and ……er…….fair winds?
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, Panama, rib