Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2023, 13:59   #16

Boat: ?
Re: Panama to Carribean in September/october

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lex View Post
Sept thru Nov is the peak time for hurricanes forming in or entering the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. As opposed to tropical systems coming off Africa which can be monitored for weeks as they develop, late-season Systems forming in the Caribbean and Gulf tend to form and develope in a few short days. This gives you little time to get out of their way.

If I were you I would plan my departure for as late in November as possible, just to be safe.

Bob

personally, i'd stick it out in panama or colombia until may or june (only)

...and even right now might too late. (surf season is starting up again on coast of colombia...which means big wave potential between san andres and barranquilla.

IF you must leave soon..and have the means to reliably monitor the weather...

(and) if you're ok potentially pounding upwind for up to a week (and your boat can take the beating.. ) .
..i'd get as far east as you can.. and then aim for the cayman islands.

it should be a more pleasant experience than getting beat up trying for jamaica or fighting 50+ foot waves off colombia.

and from there you'd have options...

easy sailing to the hurricane hole in rio dulce, mexico/gulf stream the underrated cruising grounds of cuba..
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 16:35   #17

Having experienced Panamanian weather cycles, sailed lazily Bocas, Rio Chagres, San Blas, Cartagena and back September through early November. Light winds, slow sailing. It’s the lightest wind, smoothest seas period of the year. Which is my reasoning for suggesting Sailing Bocas – Santa Marta or a little further East during these two months. I would then go North starting no later than second half November before the Northen cold fronts start, aiming to pass at least East of Cuba if not Dominican.
Have sailed Bocas North passing San Andres, Providencia around western tip of Cuba to Tampa late November. It would have been difficult departing Bocas to get further East of for example Cayman.
Cameron65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2023, 05:07   #18

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
personally, i'd stick it out in panama or colombia until may or june (only)

...and even right now might too late. (surf season is starting up again on coast of colombia...which means big wave potential between san andres and barranquilla.

IF you must leave soon..and have the means to reliably monitor the weather...

(and) if you're ok potentially pounding upwind for up to a week (and your boat can take the beating.. ) .
..i'd get as far east as you can.. and then aim for the cayman islands.

it should be a more pleasant experience than getting beat up trying for jamaica or fighting 50+ foot waves off colombia.

and from there you'd have options...

easy sailing to the hurricane hole in rio dulce, mexico/gulf stream the underrated cruising grounds of cuba..

fwiw, 'Bret', is exactly why right now might be too late "escape" panana (it might be more predictable to wait until next may to leave)

can't stress this enough.. you will NEED a reliable means to monitor the weather this time of year
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2023, 06:47   #19

I'm in Bocas now. Will head to Bahamas in November. May be interested in buddy boating with you? What's the name of your boat and where are you in Bocas?
Lisa Longshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 09:13   #20

Hi Lisa

For sure!

The boatname is "Hispaniola" (48ft Jeanneau Trinidad), its currently located in Aquapoint Marina.

We will be in Bocas somewhere in between september 1st and october 1st.

I hope that we will be ready to depart Bocas as early as mid october, to do some easting in the direction Cartagena or Santa Martha.

From there on it currently seems like the best idea to head for Jamaica (and have Cayman as plan B).

We are sailing with kids, and I dont have the risk appetite for sailing in pirate waters, so we'll stay way clear of that.

Buddy boating sounds like a real comfort. I'll send you my whatsapp in a private message
askemou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 09:47   #21

Okiedokie.

We will be back in Bocas in late October and then head north to Roatan/Belize/Playa DelCarmen in December.

We have to be in Palm Beach, Floriday by May 2024 for a yacht transport to Europe.
Lisa Longshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 09:51   #22

Curious to hear more about that route, even though I have initially thrown it off the table!

Its really hard to gather any real information information about the current threat on the direct route.

A fellow sailor on this forum suggested the route: Bocas - Cartagena - Cayman - Florida - Bahamas and then BVI.

Could be an oppportunity. But nevertheless, lets have a cold one, when we arrive in Bocas
askemou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Carribean, Panama, rib