Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2022, 06:55   #1

Panama to Carribean in September/october

Hi all,

I've been searching around on the internet for a while, however, not much information is available regarding sailing east from Panama towards the Carribean.

Our sailboat (48' Jeanneau Trinidad) is currently in Bocas del Toro, Panama, and we hope to sail her back towards Denmark this fall.

Does anyone have experience with the stretch from Panama, along the coast of Columbia towards the ABC islands in September/October?

Will you have enough time to reach the ABC's before the Christmas trades set in? We've done the passage from east to west along the coast in February, and know that this really is rough waters!

The reasoning for the given time for sailing, is work related stuff back here in Denmark. And yes, I know that a sailor on schedule is a dead sailor, however, I would really like to hear from anyone who has done this trip in this given time period or if anyone knows a good alternative, although it doesn't seems like there are any :-)

Best regards,
Aske Mouridsen
askemou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:23   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Panama to Carribean in September/october

As you probably know, not many take this route...that's why a search turns up little info.

The nasty weather off Colombia tends to settle down in the Summer months. That is why its common for the sport fishing boats in Colombia to run to/from Panama during the summer. Review Pilot Charts (or OCPN Climatology) to see the monthly trend in this area.

When the seasonal Trades fill back in (Dec-January) then the area off Colombia kicks back up again until the seasonal Trades fade (April-May).

However, you don't need to go as far as the ABC's, or even the nasty stuff off Colombia, to get further north and east. This can be done from Panama. Although I would wait till the end of hurricane season.

It is possible to make Jamaica/Windward Passage from Panama. The further east you start the better (like the San Blas). From there make your way up to the USA East Coast and then cross on established routes.

I've not made this run myself, but know several who have. A member here @Jedi has made it.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 05:19   #3

Do anyone know what the weather conditions are in October? And is it feasible to do the crossing to Jamaica or DR somerwhere inbetween late october and start november?

The boat is currently located in Bocas del Toro and my current idea is to start from 1st september or maybe later, 1st october and go eastwards, maybe as far as Santa Marta. From there just before the trades kick in, sail north and hope for no late onset hurricanes!

Does this sound feasible?
Old 18-06-2023, 05:40   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Our last long passage was from Panama to Florida but that was in June.

I recommend to work your way east to Santa Martha, then abandon that tactic and make a long tach north, trying to make as much east as possible.

You may end up in the DR, or in Jamaica (Ile a Vache possibility in between). From there, it’s a tack south to the ABC’s.

Sailing from Santa Martha to the ABC’s is very tough, especially when you don’t have the luxury of waiting for weather.

I estimate the chance you’re sailing to Denmark in the Fall minimal. I would research hauling it in Curacao or St Martin or Trinidad, Grenada and enjoy your time in the Caribbean instead of trying to accomplish that

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 05:46   #5

I've probably made myself unclear

We just need to get out the "hole" that Panama feels like.

If we could end up in Jamaica in November, that is probably fine.

From there we would be hopping east so we can position ourselves for the Atlantic crossing back to Europe in april

What is your experience with "grinding" eastwards from Jamaica?
Old 18-06-2023, 05:47   #6

Boat: Between boats at the moment aka Fender

Grind east on the tail end of a hurricane or tropical storm when the winds go westerly for a few days.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 05:52   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by askemou View Post
I've probably made myself unclear

We just need to get out the "hole" that Panama feels like.

If we could end up in Jamaica in November, that is probably fine.

From there we would be hopping east so we can position ourselves for the Atlantic crossing back to Europe in april

What is your experience with "grinding" eastwards from Jamaica?
There isn’t much wind there. I would recommend to go through the Windward Passage and sail through the Bahamas Great Inagua and Mayaguana and then to Bermuda.

We managed to get to the east coast of Jamaica from Portobelo, Panama but it was tough to make the easting. We tried to make it to Great Inagua but couldn’t get the easting mainly because of the west setting current, which was 1.4kts much of the time.

Old 18-06-2023, 07:56   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Look at the Gulf Stream map, and then decide which way to go. I would go with the flow round the west end of Cuba.

I have beat back from the ABC's to Trinidad, but I hugged the Venezuelan coast, which I would not do now for safety reasons. Going west past Curacao, I had 3 knots of westbound current.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 08:10   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

Sept thru Nov is the peak time for hurricanes forming in or entering the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. As opposed to tropical systems coming off Africa which can be monitored for weeks as they develop, late-season Systems forming in the Caribbean and Gulf tend to form and develope in a few short days. This gives you little time to get out of their way.

If I were you I would plan my departure for as late in November as possible, just to be safe.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 18:19   #10

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Might think about reaching to Grand Cayman, then beat your brains out on the short trip to Jamaica. Just don’t stay in Grand Cayman more than 30 days.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 18:47   #11

Sep Oct is considered the calmest period along the North coast of Panama and making eastward to Sants Marta should not be a problem. After Oct the seas pickup.
Cameron65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 21:29   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Look at the Gulf Stream map, and then decide which way to go. I would go with the flow round the west end of Cuba.

I have beat back from the ABC's to Trinidad, but I hugged the Venezuelan coast, which I would not do now for safety reasons. Going west past Curacao, I had 3 knots of westbound current.
Unfortunately there are many reefs and shallows on that route and it is infested with pirates. This is the reason we went from Portobelo straight to Jamaica, skipping San Andres and Providencia too…

Old 19-06-2023, 18:16   #13

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Unfortunately there are many reefs and shallows on that route and it is infested with pirates. This is the reason we went from Portobelo straight to Jamaica, skipping San Andres and Providencia too…

When we did the reverse, Grand Cayman to Bocas del Toro, we actually went EAST from GC. Just to avoid the "fishermen". Went dark too.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 09:13   #14

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I stopped at Providencia, and really enjoyed the island. Getting there from Roatan did involve going near the Vivorillo Banks, where we had a sketchy encounter with a big panga with nine fishermen on it.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2023, 12:47   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I stopped at Providencia, and really enjoyed the island. Getting there from Roatan did involve going near the Vivorillo Banks, where we had a sketchy encounter with a big panga with nine fishermen on it.
We lost two friends there, found drowned on the reef and beach, with their boat upside down on the reef. It’s still not known if they were the victims of piracy or if their keel failed or some other accident happened. Very sad event.

Tags
Carribean, Panama, rib