Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 03:39   #1

Panama to Miami

We plan to sail a '42 Cat from San Diego to Miami. We'll run with the Baja Ha-Ha group from SD in late October, then onto Panama by Dec/Jan. Any thoughts or first hand experience regarding the leg from Panama north in the months of Feb-Mar? My plan would be to mostly follow the Central America coastline and the prevailing current. Unfortunately, the pilot charts show consistent NE to E winds, which wouldn't be too favorable with my vessel. Plus I hate going to windward. Too much bashing spills my coffee. Many thanks.
markmontgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:27   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Panama to Miami

We sailed Panama to Cancun Mexico in December. The problem with the coastline route is that there are some very nasty shallows that stick out 200 miles from the Nicaraguan/Honduran coast. They are the Caribbean equivalent of Cape Hatteras and can develop some very interesting and large waves. Also my insurance company now prohibits Nicaragua as a place to visit.

If you are cruising you can visit the islands Cavos Albuquerque, San Andres and Providencia but in doing so you give up easting and you may have difficulty getting back east to clear the shallow areas.

We needed to get to Mexico to meet family. From the San Blas We laid Grand Cayman on one tack, 600 miles and 5 days, went diving for two weeks and then laid Cancun on one tack 380 miles in 3 days.

Next time we will go diving in Roatan.

Good luck

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:58   #3

Boat: Boatless

Cancun to Miami is a nice trip providing you don't try and go through the Yucatan Channel when a norther is blowing.

We have listened to two significant Mayday rescues in the last month.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, markmontgo.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:12   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Panama to Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmontgo View Post
We plan to sail a '42 Cat from San Diego to Miami. We'll run with the Baja Ha-Ha group from SD in late October, then onto Panama by Dec/Jan. Any thoughts or first hand experience regarding the leg from Panama north in the months of Feb-Mar? My plan would be to mostly follow the Central America coastline and the prevailing current. Unfortunately, the pilot charts show consistent NE to E winds, which wouldn't be too favorable with my vessel. Plus I hate going to windward. Too much bashing spills my coffee. Many thanks.
Welcome to the forum... I like you already..
Sorry I've no info to help you on your journey.... but felt I just had to complement you for your 'Honesty'...
You've got to be the first Cat Owner ever to admit things get spilt on Cats...
AWESOME......

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:30   #6

Moondancer,
For your long leg to Cayman, what month did you go, and did you choose a unique weather window to make the journey? If so, how long did you wait in Panama for the opportunity? Did you depart knowing you could get to the Caymans before the next cold front came through? What kind of wind and wave conditions did you see? Finally, did you use C. Parker for updates while underway? Many thanks!
markmontgo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami, Panama