Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2019, 05:50   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16
Re: Panama to Providencia, Belize, Cancun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMcD111 View Post
Hi all,

This weekend we leave for Providencia, then Belize, and up to Isla Mujeres/Cancun to summer over.

We have a few guides but would ask if you all if you have any other suggestions for this time of year, routes and where to stay/marina in Belize so we can explore Mayan ruins and any other tips for departing for Mexico from Belize?

Thank you,
Jack and Sylvia
sv/Belle
Beneteau 50
We did the Providencia to Belize trip 6 weeks ago. We buddy boated with several other boats via Vivarillos (didn't stop) to Guanaja. We saw no local boats on our passage. Probably the best to do that section with company.

Many folks choose to leave their boats in the Rio Dulce if their draft permits (7 feet I think) during hurricane season and do exploring from there.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 06:55   #17

In my mind I have no problem sailing further and in stronger winds than dealing with pirates. Personally I think you have higher odds of being boarded between Grenada and Trinidad especially if you sail during the day than sailing from Providencia and the Bay Islands. There is pretty steady traffic both ways on this route, we have had close to 80-90 boats make that sail in the last several weeks, no issues with anyone as far as we know.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 07:37   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post
We did the Providencia to Belize trip 6 weeks ago. We buddy boated with several other boats via Vivarillos (didn't stop) to Guanaja. We saw no local boats on our passage. Probably the best to do that section with company.

Many folks choose to leave their boats in the Rio Dulce if their draft permits (7 feet I think) during hurricane season and do exploring from there.
Controlling depth over the bar has historically been about 6', though I hear there has been some silting in recently. Boats with deeper draft can be careened over by local fishermen. Once over the bar there is plenty of depth all the way to the western end of Lago Izabal (roughly 40 miles inland!).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 07:38   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 41
Send a message via Skype™ to GinTonic

We sailed last February from Rio Dulce to Providencia , on the way to Rhoatan we heard on the radio of a couple that they stole the outboard calling the Rhoatan Police , stayed 50 NM away from Honduras Coast all the way , stealth mode , no nav lights every night. AIS disconnected and made it to Vivorillos , got a short encounter by some guys on a Panga who came straight to us to check us out , we were 5 mean looking guys , it looks like they were looking for elder couples. We were fishing ,( trolling) and luckily our nylon got tangled in their outboard and stopped them . (good idea to trawl ski rope in those areas).
It was an early morning(7am) encounter , we immediatly motored out west 30 NM. My advice is to avoid Vivorillos totally and take outer canal. I can email you a suggested route. Providencia is Beautiful !! Also do not miss the chance to visit and spend some time in Rio Dulce ,Guatemala, it is the best kept secret in the West Caribbean.
GinTonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 09:32   #20

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Controlling depth over the bar has historically been about 6', though I hear there has been some silting in recently. Boats with deeper draft can be careened over by local fishermen. Once over the bar there is plenty of depth all the way to the western end of Lago Izabal (roughly 40 miles inland!).
We entered 4 weeks ago. Followed a local vessel in at dead low tide (+0.19ft above MLW) and saw least depths of 5ft. Our track inbound kept Freya's waypoints about 200ft to port. There are two black markers when entering to port that should be ignored.

Servimar stands by on CH16 and will assist if needed. They can also help with clearance. Raul and his nephew who operate things are pleasant to work with and speak fluent english if needed.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 09:40   #21
txg

Boat: Dufour 35

We did Bocas del Toro to Cancun in one leg some weeks ago. Stayed well offshore, no local boats seen at all. No contact with noone except for Providencia port control that saw us on their radar and called us asking for some vessel details.

Tags
Belize, cancun, enc, Panama