Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2014, 06:10   #31

Re: Places to avoid in Carribean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Did someone mention Rum Cay? Technically not in the Caribbean but a nice quiet place and good reefs for diving and hunting.
Now you've done it. The last time I mentioned a secluded spot in the BVI's where there never was a sailboat in the anchorage it blew up in my face. I was there a month ago and there were six boats crammed into this little anchorage - and no, I am not going to say what bay it is.

Anyway, Rum Cay - been there. Best cracked conch I have ever had.
CaptTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 09:31   #32

Boat: csy 37

PLEASE DON'T TELL ANYONE ABOUT RUM CAY!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 09:56   #33

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
PLEASE DON'T TELL ANYONE ABOUT RUM CAY!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Terrible place.

Old 18-07-2014, 10:55   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
Oh and Don it's "ehh" not "a" ehh....
can't spell, a

is that a big problem up in Cehhnehhdehh?
Old 18-07-2014, 11:00   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Terrible place.

Yeah, just another one of those overpopulated, crime ridden places "in" the Caribe... and 100 miles from Miami!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 08:46   #36

Boat: Cambria 46
Places to avoid in Carribean

It's been a few years but we were always told to avoid St Vincent and the boat boys of Cumberland Bay and Wallilabou. Went straight from Marigot Bay to Bequia to avoid them. Long day sail but we heard from friends who decided to give them a chance, had a nightmare there. Puerto La Cruz, Venezuela always had a bad rep for crime, especially your dinghies. Easier spending hurricane season in Grenada or Trinidad. As someone mentioned, it's crowded down there now. I first sailed there back in 1993 with one of the first hand held GPS's so there wasn't many boats. Never had a problem.
Oh, and spent a fantastic night on Rum Cay when Delores Wilson threw her 50th birthday party. She survived heart problems and always said she'd throw the island a party on her 50th. We showed up looking for somewhere to eat, and ended up at one heck of a party with the whole island.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
gussers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 17:22   #37

Boat: Islander Freport 41

Go West young man, go, we'll make that southwest, Hurricane Free Panama!
garyosborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 17:46   #38

Boat: Seafarer36c

I can't tell if this post is about cool places that no one goes to or places that you should avoid for your safety. If it is about safety, the islands off the coast of Nicaragua look like they would be interesting to cruise but there is a poor fisherman problem and these guy's might just rob you with an old rusty six shooter.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 06:39   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy.

What follows is just a bit of info I picked up by reading here and there, so understand it is not from personal experience in these locations. I make no claims to being an expert source on this topic.

I am writing this not to promote fear, but simply to answer your question.

Numerous accounts of "piracy" (attempts) and serious crimes against cruisers seem to mention Venezuela and Honduras several times. There are several threads (topics) here on this forum devoted to "Pirates" where you can see these accounts.

One account that surprised me (found on another blog I cannot recall now) was that of a sailor who cruised around one of the islands in the Bahamas in a very tiny cruiser (very small boat with very shallow draft). He was looking for pristine beaches and wanted to avoid the usual tourist destinations. He was told by locals that even the island's police avoid a long stretch (entire side of island as I recall) because it is notorious for drug runners who use it as a staging area for sorties to Florida. In essence, his story was that he was warned against that side of the island and warned to not go up any secluded inlets (where the drug boats would be kept). He did cruise there, and was scared when a fast boat with some "threatening" (his words as I recall) men came after him (and he felt at great risk), but due to his very shallow draft he was out of reach. So, while those beaches may look pristine and uninhabited, there may be reasons for avoiding some.

I hope this helps. I know it is not specific. Good luck and have a nice trip.
I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that report. The Bahamas are very heavily patrolled by the US DEA and US Coast Guard in a joint operation with the Bahamian and Turks and Caicos government, called OPBAT. The DEA/CoastGuard have bases on Andros, on Great Inagua, in Georgetown, and in Nassau. Just about every unmarked helicopter you see flying in the Bahamas belongs to the DEA. The marked ones belong to the Coast Guard. Their phone numbers are in the Explorer Chartbooks, and them monitor Channel 16. I don't know of any place in the Bahamas that they are afraid to operate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
Do not avoid Great Inagua, an island, that is difficult to get to except by boat or private plane.

The people a friendly. There are few businesses. I enjoyed meeting the light house keeper. There is a large colony of rosette spoon bills living in the salt marsh there.

Fuel was expensive, although beer was $3, when I was there.
One of the locations of the DEA/Coast Guard bases in the Bahamas (by the airport).

Tags
rib