Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 04:10   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510
Possible Relocation to Cape Canaveral Area?

Hi All! I'm currently applying for a position within my company that would relocate me to Cape Canaveral. How is the sailing and cruising from there? I have sailed in the Indian River several times when I was in school in Melbourne, but they were only beer can races.

Are there any places that are good for 3 day weekends? I guess for a longer period, say 2 weeks, I could sail over to the Bahamas. As for day sails, how's sailing out of the inlet?

Most of my sailing would have to be out in the ocean. I would consider the ICW, but my concern is draft (both high and low), its damn close! I measured/calculated my mast height. I get 65'9" to the tip of the VHF antenna. The base of the antenna is mounted below the mast head, so I'm not too concerned about that, but I have a tri-color light which is pretty tall as well, plus the wind instruments. If I take all that off, I would most likely be below 65'. Or I hang my RIB off the side to get me to 10° which will do the same. That all may be well and good for the trip down in the ICW, but not for day sails. I also draw 5'9"; if I fill all 260 gallons of water and 150 of fuel, get a large group of friends, plus food and gear, I can probably get that to 6' and my air draft to 65'6".

And as far as the Bahamas go, I've searched, and it seems 6' is fine. Having never been, would two weeks be long enough to go there and back and have enough of a vacation? And has anyone been on the north side of Freeport? We inherited some waterfront property there, but since the canals were dug it has filled in and not deep enough for the boat. But how close can you get? If not close at all, no big deal. I dont need to go see dirt!

Any info and guidance would be helpful. And just keep in mind I'm in the "day dreaming about get the hell out of NY and this damn weather" mode, so no need to get into exact specifics, just some ideas to help fully think this out.

Thanks!
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote