Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2021, 06:37   #1

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Public Wifi in Key West

I still have a few remote freelance projects that pop up from time to time. My Tmobile phone works well as a hot spot on the boat in the mooring field but for large volume work I like to go to shore and utilize a restaurant/cafe's wifi (and grab some grub). Hadn't done it in a while and with the Covid Madness going on the old standbys had dropped off. I figured I'd make a living list of places that I'll keep up to date here: S/v Pomaikai Blog. But I thought it might be helpful to put the list here as well, hoping to get a little help from the community to build on the list.

Jack Flats – Sports bar located on Duval. The goto place to watch the game with good food. Signal can be weak at times but if your nice to the bartender you might be able to get a plug in for power.
Pizza Hut – In a moment of desperation while walking down the street after not finding a place to connect I checked the Pizza Hut on Roosevelt. Sat down on the wall outside and was able to connect.
Starbucks – Old town Starbucks closed down. The one on Roosevelt removed all their indoor seating but still has Wifi available.
The Breakfast Club, Too – Weak signal but great skillet breakfast and coffee.
Two Friends – Best breakfast place on the Island (but get here early on the weekends). Good signal (password: 2friends).
Old 21-01-2021, 08:34   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Public Wifi in Key West

The Library
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 11:48   #3

In Key West the library is closed to the public. Does the wifi work while sitting outside?
Old 21-01-2021, 12:17   #4

Boat: S2 9.1

We have visited quite a number of Islands in the Caribbean, when looking for Wifi we found Pizza Hut always has it available outside.
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 08:45   #5

Boat: Leopard 48

Was just there for a month and didn't find any, we are in Marathon as of yesterday and slim pickings here. But maybe this is helpful (apologies if you are already aware) but T-mobile just rolled out 5G 100GB hotspot plans at $50/month. We just bought an additional plan on top of the 40GB from the 5G phone/hotspot for the same reason. So for $90/month we now have 140GB and 5G was strong on the other side of Wisteria Key. I know its not free but its reliable and a great deal. They do state in the fine print it is a limited time on new contracts at this rate but we did sign a 2 year contract to lock it in long term. https://au.pcmag.com/news/84337/t-mo...rst-5g-hotspot
wathey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 15:57   #6

Yea I saw that as well and debated it. For most days just the speed off my phone (also Tmobile) is fine but I have a couple software packages that do monthly updates that use a big chunk of data (but at the time and place of my choosing) so it's nice to go to shore and grab some free wifi and do the updates.

Tags
key west, wifi