Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2013, 06:47   #16

Boat: Vagabond 42
Re: Puerto Rico to Galveston, TX

Andyv94:
I have made that trip at least 6 times. You will be fine. Be certain that the boat is in good condition. Polish the fuel and put on spares. Don't worry about the rigs, you'll see them, even at night. A few pipes sticking up out there unlit (I've seen them looming in the dark a few times) but you will be fine. Going west, you should have prevailing south east winds. Take the old Bahama channel and come into Key West and catch your breath before crossing the Gulf. From Key West you can watch how the Northers are lining up and wait for one to just pass and head west. If you get lucky, you'll have a great broad reach to a run all the way to Galveston, if you don't, you'll get caught in the previously mentioned washing machine but a good condition Hans Christian should be OK. You can also duck in several places after South West Pass if necessary and run the ICW.

I TOTALLY agree about having a survey and doing a test sail or two before you even consider heading out.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 05:34   #17
M C

Boat: 1983 Bruce Roberts Spray 36A Steel Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to M C
Having recently bought a 36' steel cutter built in '83 outfitted for coastal with plans to circumnavigate I feel for your concern. I had to commit to doing it, whatever it takes, I am in.

It is true that yard work costs twice as much and takes twice as long as we imagine.

I just got this exciting email this morning with the design plan for my boat's self steering. Exciting!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2491498117.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	69178
Old 24-10-2013, 12:25   #18

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

So can someone with experience with winter PR to Galveston lay out the options? With pros and cons of each. Whenever I've crossed its heading south in winter, north for spring...

1) PR to inside Keys, then hop over to GICW, travel ICW to Galveston
2) PR running west to Jamaco then onto Isla Mujeras, then up to Galveston( probably motor last 200 miles, but take enough fuel for crossing)
3) PR to keys to Galveston , enough fuel for crossing

Thanks. There are a couple boats transiting from PR, need advice. We are at anchor so not a lot of juice for Internet.
Erika
Old 24-10-2013, 13:03   #19

In making my reservation in Islas Mujeres for a slip at Marina Paraiso
I happen to asked Kevin Ball (manager) what he thought of our crossing in early December
to Galveston from Islas Mujeres and this was his reply.

Andres,

It should be a fast trip North in December.

After a Northerly, East winds set in giving a good run for Galveston, Depending on how strong and how far South the Northerly traveled will determine the state of the seas.

Early Northerly's are week and don't get out of the Gulf.

I don't know how you like to sail your boat and in what conditions, but I like December for sailing North and I would pay close attention when choosing a weather window, there's never a reason to rush a trip.

Hope I helped.

Kevin

Also this winter is supposed to be a mild winter with unseason warm temperatures
for Texas and the Midwest (for whatever that's worth)
andyv94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Puerto Rico