Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2018, 08:35   #1

Recommendation for FL Cruising Guide

Howdy,
Planning to do a shake down cruise from Key Largo down around the Keys and then west past the Dry Tortugas and then turn North and head across the Gulf to Tampa Bay. Thinking of stopping at Marathon/Boot Key and Key West for boat check-ups/provisioning/tourism before heading for open water.
Any recommendations for the best cruising guide for Florida?
Thinking Hawk Channel outside Keys down to Key West..
Thanks Much,
Dave
doverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:05   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Recommendation for FL Cruising Guide

I bought the Waterway Guide last year and didn't find it to be much help. Mostly pictures and advertising.
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 14:15   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Well I came here to recommend "The Florida Cruising Directory", but it looks like they have decided after 34 editions to stop updating it..........

Florida Cruising Directory

You may still be able to purchase the 2017 edition. I purchased an updated copy every few years. A nice read to have on board when not wanting to connect to the internet. I'll miss it.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 14:30   #4

Boat: Vancouver 27

We just used the chartbook as our guide through that stretch along with activecaptain. But wanted to say that all the keys west of Key West are well worth your time! Far and away the best of the keys in my book.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 17:09   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

When I lived in FL we used guides by Claiborn Young. They were quite good, but the organization of the one for the Keys made it cumbersome to follow. Not sure if they have been updated.

https://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Flor.../dp/1565540263

Also used the BAIL anchorage guide. Not sure of its current status either.

http://www.sailmiami.com/book_reviews/BAILguide.htm
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:09   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by doverton View Post
Howdy,
Planning to do a shake down cruise from Key Largo down around the Keys and then west past the Dry Tortugas and then turn North and head across the Gulf to Tampa Bay. Thinking of stopping at Marathon/Boot Key and Key West for boat check-ups/provisioning/tourism before heading for open water.
Any recommendations for the best cruising guide for Florida?
Thinking Hawk Channel outside Keys down to Key West..
Thanks Much,
Dave
The best cruising guide we have found is Frank Pappy's "Cruising Guide to the Florida Keys". Excellent reference.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 14:37   #7

Frank Pappy's book is good, especially for anchorages. However it was written some years ago and some of the shore side info is dated.

We cruised through Marathon to Key West and back up to Tampa in January. Many business were still closed. For example, the marina at Bahia Honda State Park is still closed today. So you should check ahead for services.
Old 08-06-2018, 16:35   #8

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Woods View Post
I bought the Waterway Guide last year and didn't find it to be much help. Mostly pictures and advertising.
Seems like that’s the type of info the OP is asking for, hopefully he is not going to navigate with it. I think the guides are great. Advertising is information too.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 19:06   #9

Boat: Nordic Tug 32

I am having the same problem, I can not find any current cruising guide for the Keys and the Dry Tortugas for our trip in July. We are trailering from Ohio to Ft. Lauderdale this July. We are also looking for an place to store our truck (20' long) and our trailer (42' long) some where near Ft Lauderdale from approximately June 24 through July 25th. Anyone have any ideas?
SVToybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 21:54   #10

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVToybox View Post
I am having the same problem, I can not find any current cruising guide for the Keys and the Dry Tortugas for our trip in July. We are trailering from Ohio to Ft. Lauderdale this July. We are also looking for an place to store our truck (20' long) and our trailer (42' long) some where near Ft Lauderdale from approximately June 24 through July 25th. Anyone have any ideas?
This always amazes me. Try cruisingguide.com, marinas.com, activecaptain.com google Florida marinas.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:41   #11

Quote:
We are also looking for an place to store our truck (20' long) and our trailer (42' long) some where near Ft Lauderdale from approximately June 24 through July 25th. Anyone have any ideas?
Waterway guide map shows marinas or you can switch to anchorages:

https://www.waterwayguide.com/explor...12&mode=marina

As far as the truck and trailer, you might just rent an outdoor storage space for a month.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:34   #12

Thanks Everybody for the info. Gives some great starting info for planning the trip.
Dave
doverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:47   #13
Sponsoring Vendor

How about ours? New edition February 2024. Quick reference answers to all your questions, most importantly "where's an anchorage with north (or east, south or west) protection?"
https://products.theboatgalley.com/p...hobee-waterway
Old 06-04-2024, 04:23   #14

Boat: Beneteau 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVToybox View Post
In Lauderdale, you can launch your boat and store your truck and trailer at Harourtown Marina. It's got 24 hour security. I have used it when doing trips to Bimini in my powerboat, probably fifteen or twenty times. it's a great option. You can also try the airport. I did that in WPB one year, paid for two spots.
Capt. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 10:04   #15

I'm having the same problem. Pappy's guide looks awesome, but is now 8 years and multiple hurricanes out of date (not helpful). I understand and appreciate the comments of "just use marinas.com and learn to chart," but this is also not helpful. Yes, I can chart. And yes I will/do use these resources to finalize my actual float plans. But the cruising guides are tremendously helpful for the initial planning and to share/inspire/motivate the crew (our teenagers) to start listing the places they want to go and see. When you only have 8 days or so, having a "local knowledge heads-up" of what's fun, hard to anchor in, has good shopping, good restaurants, great snorkeling, etc. is invaluable, and helps avoid the dreaded four-part harmony of teenage whining of "why did we anchor here!?!?!?" that can turn a phenomenal adventure into a "don't make me turn this boat around!!" nightmare.

To the Boat Galley crew, your guide looks fantastic, and I'll be getting it. But that's just captain's information and navigation. It's tremendously helpful captain's information, don't get me wrong, but not really something my 13-year-old daughter can snuggle up with at night and dream about her next awesome sailing trip. For example, we just got back from the BVIs, and this same little girl literally slept with the Scott cruising guide on her nightstand for 8 months. It was a dogeared, highlighted, water-stained mess by the end of the trip, and is now one of her most prized possessions.
James_Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, men