Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2007, 10:16   #1

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Recommendations for Storing Yacht - Summer 2008

Hi Guys,
We are crossing to Caribbean this winter, and considering sailing up the US east Coast next May / June.
If we wished to return to the UK for for July / August, can anyone give recommendations on best place to leave her, aiming to return say September to enjoy her locally, before heading south again later in the year?
Cheers
JOHN
Old 15-09-2007, 14:30   #2

Not sure about what you said...

Are you planning on leaving the boat in North America, before crossing back to the UK? Or are you planning on leaving the boat in the UK, before spending time there and then heading south again?

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2007, 15:18   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I would expect you need to be north of the Virgina / North Carolina border to be mostly clear of hurricanes. The closer you are to high populations the more expensive the slips.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2007, 18:17   #4

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I assume you want to be on the hard. Check Bock Marine
233 Core Creek Rd
Beaufort, NC , 28516-7525
Phone: 252-728-6855
FAX: 252-728-5189
Bock Marine Builders
a small, reasonably priced boat yard on the ICW between Beaufort and the Neuse River. I know of a couple of other Brits who leave there boat there for the summer and fly to the UK.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2007, 18:37   #5

Shroeder's Yacht Yard...Deltaville VA...has good rates...let's you do your own work and has competent help for any projects. Schroeder Yacht Systems
No connection...just a satisfied customer.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2007, 00:15   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine View Post
Are you planning on leaving the boat in North America, before crossing back to the UK? Or are you planning on leaving the boat in the UK, before spending time there and then heading south again?
We aim to leave her in the US whilst we fly back to UK.

Might leave her in the water so could enjoy a trip back for a few weeks late summer and explore locally - and sail her back to carib in the fall.

JOHN
Old 16-09-2007, 07:28   #7

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I would either haul her out of the water in the Chesapeake in one of many inexpensive boatyards while you are not there, or haul her out at Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor in the BVI. Both places offer real safety if a hurricane should come through.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 09:43   #8

Thanks for all suggestions above. Any other US mainalnd spots anyone would recommend?
Thanks in anticipation.
JOHN
Old 28-09-2007, 11:21   #9

In water in the summer is peak rates. If you store ashore you'll be advised to unstep your rig. Most yards are empty on the hard for the summer.

My winter storage yard is small, all sailboats, very protected near NYC. Owner/manager lives on board at the boat yard/marina and is a sailor and broker and knows virtually everything about sailboats. If interested in the reference PM me. He's damn nice and his guys are world class in their work.

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 14:28   #10

::evil grin::

Gulf Coast, California, Oregon, Washington...

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 16:37   #11

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
If you need work done on the sailboat, I would recommend Oasis Marina in St. Augustine, FL. My understanding is the labor rates are low compared to Northern Yards. Yes, we have hurricanes but it depends on when you drop her off. We are on the down side of hurricane season. I am not affiliated with Oasis, except I left 10 grand for a replacement of all the thru hulls and valves, bottom paint, replaced all the hoses on the diesel, replaced tabbing, and refitting of the rub rail. I do not know how I would have done the job myself.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 20:04   #12

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
We keep our boat at Crown Pointe Marina. It's on the Perrin River with very easy access to the York River, where it empties into the Chesapeake Bay. You can sail from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to the marina in 5 - 8 hours, so it's convenient from the Atlantic. It has a travel lift if you're going to have your boat hauled, and plenty of slips if you're going to keep her in the water. It's a good marina, and well-managed.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 01:14   #13

Thanks guys.
One last Q. Any issues with draft (we are 2.2m) or air height (we are 25m) in any of those Chesapeake recommendations?
Cheers
JOHN
Old 30-09-2007, 04:10   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
2.2 meters (just over 7ft) is a problem almost every place. There are a few places where you would have to come and go on the tide. The 25 meters isn't a huge problem as you can transit the bay end to end but some of the tributaries are a problem. Crown Pointe is a problem. Places you can get into at a higher tide might leave you buried in the slip so that would vary.

Places you can stay for just 2 months are possible to find but for longer term without hauling you won't find them easy or generally available. First choice would be Little Creek located on the extreme south end of the Bay just around the point from Cape Henry. The US Marine base is there and it's deep all the way in and out any tide. Right now they have a wait list. They almost always have a wait list.

We have friends in a boat with a draft of 2 meters looking for a liveaboard slip and are not finding one easily.

Other choices - York River Yacht Haven across from Yorktown, VA on the York River. Severn River Marina on the Severn River off Mobjack Bay. Doziers Regatta Point in Deltaville. There are other places in Deltaville but the farther in you go the less water. Deltaville Marina on the Piankatank (not sure about slip depths). Tidewater Marina on the Elizabeth River in Portsmouth. Willoughby Spit has deep enough water most of the time but it is out in the open a bit more than all the others. Bay Creek Marina in Cape Charles. The charts don't show the last leg of depth correctly because it's new and dredged, but it's mostly 9 ft. Theoretically possible on low tide but I would want mid or better with 2.2 meters.

These would be places where you might find a 2 month slip. It's about all I can come up with south of the Potomac. Baltimore and Annapolis may have places but at much higher prices and perhaps less availability. You can not transit the ICW south of Norfolk, VA the depth and bridges would have you trapped in short order. You can go up the Potomac but I'm not sure where you would stay.

You should be able to find contact information on all these places on the Internet. When talking to places about depth be careful. Our friends thought they had a slip in a marina they had no hope of getting into at high tide.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2007, 21:18   #15

Thanks Paul,
Local insights much appreciated.
JOHN