Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2013, 11:57   #1

Boat: 1993 Gemini Catamaran 3400
Recs for Hurricane Season plans, TX Coast

I'd love helpful suggestions on hurricane preparedness (hauling out vs. floating docks, marina or yard recs in Texas and any checklists, if you have one). I'm especially interested to hear from anyone who has weathered a season in northern Yucatan or Texas coast recently or who is currently planning on doing so.

This is our first season in the zone - last year was in Panama. We're currently in Isla and will be working in Austin this summer. We are considering whether to leave Mother Jones in a slip here in the inner lagoon (or somewhere else along the MX coast) or whether to bring her back to Texas.

Regardless of whether we leave the boat in Isla or somewhere along the Texas coast (Galveston to Port Aransas), we will not be with the boat. (And, yes, I know this isn't ideal, but it's what's happening. We've just got to do our best given our situation.)

Are there holes along the Texas coast that you would recommend or should we haul out and put her on the hard? Recommendations of yards on high ground/inland? Should we dis-mast for storage?

Anything else I'm not asking here, but should definitely consider?

Thanks so much!

Laurie
S/V Mother Jones
1993 Gemini 3400
So Many Beaches | The adventures of L, D and Mr. K on S/V Mother Jones
SoManyBeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 12:04   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Recs for Hurricane Season plans, TX Coast

If you leave the boat in Isla M, use the new floating docks in the lagoon, and try to get as close to the mangroves as possible. Strip all the canvas before leaving and double/triple up all the lines.

The Kemah/Clear lake area of texas has several good hurricane "safe" marina's and is only 5-7 days sail from Isla M.

Friends of ours weathered a storm in Isla Mujeres, but were with the boat, and tending to lines in the mangroves the whole time.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 17:45   #3

Boat: Freeport 41

Hi Laure, well as a long time resident of Port Aransas I can tell you anywhere on the Gulfcoast is simply a crapshoot. Port A I don't believe has had any apprecheable damage in over forty years. But forty years ago when I moved there she was still recovering from a very bad one. Still in Bocas.
Garyosborne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 19:43   #4

Boat: 1993 Gemini Catamaran 3400

Hey Gary! Hope all is well in Bocas, or at least Bocas-style well. We really miss it, especially now that we're even having to think about hurricane season! I didn't realize you were from Texas. Small world . . .
SoManyBeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane