Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2015, 15:10   #16

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: References for route from USVI to Fla.

When my Beneteau came out of charter two years ago, I sailed it from the BVIs back to the U.S., solo from PR on. The only over night sail I did was from PR to DR. I did everything else as day hops.

In addition to the GPS on board, (No charts for Bahamas) I brought some paper charts, one small handheld and downloaded the garmin app and charts for both iPhone and iPad which only cost $50. I also used "The Gentleman's Guide to Passages South" as my primary guide. It takes a bit more reading to apply it in reverse, but then it's much easier going that way....

I sailed back early Summer. In winter you will have to think a lot more about the effects of cold fronts including the limitations they have for protected anchorages, especially if you are thinking about sailing along the north coast of the DR.

If you want more information regarding stops, etc. let me know. Happy to post more here or via personal message.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 06:19   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Routing through the Bahamas on the way back would be a lot more enjoyable and offer many more options for stopping. Downsides, have to pay a lot more attention to navigation and pay to clear into the Bahamas and Turks if you stop.

The point about the weather is good also. As you get closer to the US this time of year the odds of catching a cold front are very high. If it catches you in a section of the Gulf Stream so you get strong winds with a northerly component against the current of the Stream it can get downright unpleasant if not dangerous.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 11:05   #18

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Routing through the Bahamas on the way back would be a lot more enjoyable and offer many more options for stopping. Downsides, have to pay a lot more attention to navigation and pay to clear into the Bahamas and Turks if you stop.
Great point. When crossing the Turks and Caicos banks, I got hailed and was required to stop, clear in and out (at same time,) which of course meant clearance fees, even though I had no intention of ever making landfall.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, references, route