Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2018, 23:55   #1

rio dulce to trinidad

few months ago i wrote in this forum asking info about the best way to go from rio dulce to trinidad. i was told not to do it in april / we tried and failed ofcours and we are back in rio dulce. next february we intend to try again. i wonder if someone knows what is the right way to do it
ramigobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 19:40   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: rio dulce to trinidad

Geez, thats gonna be tough regardless of which month.

Maybe get further N during Feb, like N Belize or Mexico, catch a cold front shift...get as far E as you can, like Jamaica, then SE down to Trini...still gonna be a lot of bashing to winward though.

What route did you just attempt?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 19:54   #3

Look at a Pilot Chart for Feb. Prevailing winds across Carib basin are almost 50% E and most of the remainder NE. Maybe Get way E on series of fronts, like Puerto Rico and then SE.

A few hardy souls bash it out across the N coast of S America, but the area off Colombia is quite disturbed in Feb making this less viable (see red boundaried area off Colombia on Pilot chart).

Or, go up and over Cuba (a common route for getting to the USA, again playing fronts) and then the classic "Thornless Path" or go way E and do the "I-65" route.
Old 10-06-2018, 21:17   #4

You need time. We ran into a couple on a Peterson 44 that do that trip every year. It was in Barlovento a small uninhabited atoll in Venezuela where we met them and they go there and hang out until the conditions are right. We kept in touch on SSB for a while and about a week after we last saw them they hit the road and other than the last 50 miles they sailed and motorsailer it. You just need to have lots of time and be patient. Also helps to be well provisioned..
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 23:28   #5

thanks for the answers

the rout we tryed was from rio dulce trough belize cuba jamaica and back to rio dulce
because we embarked on the 7th of april we did not have the time to complete the circle.
on our way we were told to try to go further north up to cape canaveralin florida and than head east and south. is this the thornless road or the 65?
Old 11-06-2018, 02:24   #6

Boat: Boatless

I did it 6 years ago and went via Miami. Ride the current to Miami and then go due east to 65W and then south.

The long but easy way compared to bashing into the trades.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:21   #7

Boat: Boatless

Head south to Panama then take a right ;-)

Cross the Pacific, Indian and Atlantic and viola, you’re in Trinidad and have a great story to tell!

Upwind against the trades? No fun.

The Miami idea then Thorny Path I like best.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:49   #8

As others apparently advised you, April is a late start...for 2 reasons. One, by April its unlikely to have any cold fronts to work with, no cold fronts = no favorable wind shifts to get N & E. Two, you dont have much time left to wait for weather (which isnt likely to come in April anyway) before hurricane season. Go earlier, much earlier, and this route can be made to work.

The "Thornless Path" reference was popularized by Bruce Van Sandt in his classic " Gentlemen's Guide to Passages South". Only $10 on Kindle now...a bargain to add to your library for this run.

https://www.amazon.com/Gentlemans-Gu.../dp/1470146967

"I-65" refers to getting well E to 65W longitude where you can get a favorable angle on the NE trades for heading S-SE.

You dont need to go as far N as Canaveral to make either of these commom routes work. You do need some favorable wind shifts to get far enough east, without a brutal amount of bashing to windward.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:51   #9

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Head south to Panama then take a right ;-)
Cross the Pacific, Indian and Atlantic and viola, you’re in Trinidad and have a great story to tell!

Why be normal? I like this route best! LOL
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:06   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We did it from Panama a few years ago. We left in mid March and sailed to Jamaica and spent 5 days 45-555deg on the wind and our little Jeanneau handled it nicely - once in Jamaica we just sailed down the coast to the south side of the DR and on down -

the key as many have said above is the month you do it -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:18   #11

so as you all say the key is the month
is mid february early enaugh for the thornless path or i 65 ?
Old 12-06-2018, 11:12   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramigobi View Post
so as you all say the key is the month
is mid february early enaugh for the thornless path or i 65 ?
The reason the month is key is to get wind shifts to make it easier to get E. Once far enough E to start either of those routes then wind shifts due to fronts are not so important.
Old 12-06-2018, 14:32   #13

...and yes, mid Feb should work. Just be sure you understand how to work with cold fronts, when to stay put, and when to go. Maybe get some shore side weather routing assistance.
Old 12-06-2018, 15:38   #14

Boat: Seafarer36c

What about the south coast of Cuba for getting east? I hear about boats cruising that area with the daily winds. It would be slow but maybe not any slower than waiting out 2, 3 or more fronts trying to get to Fl. Unless you're a professional mariner or something it can take a month to get out of Isla Mujeres.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 15:58   #15

Should work too. Winds are often light in the lee of the S coast of Cuba, so once you get there, you could motor sail along the S coast and then choose weather window to island hop further E.

Get well N from the Rio, then over to Cuba.

I see Santiago, far SE Cuba, listed as a POE but dont know any current details.

Feb I think would still be a good time. Still about 50% probability of E winds, but about equal for NE...which would be a bash but doable. The hops arent that far so a well timed front or 3 would help a lot.

Fresh mostly E winds are blowing across the Carib basin now and S Cuba shows NE @ 13kts. Route along coast is more ESE so this works.