Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2012, 18:34   #16

Re: Route from Florida to BVI

Well, thank you all for the info. It is very interesting. We have the whole winter season to plan our trip and dream the dream.

Happy sailing everybody.
Lapintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 19:04   #17

Some blogs are pretty interesting.
ICW and the Bahamas
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 20:09   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerdos View Post
Keep an eye on the Gulf Stream and do not cross with any aspect of a northerly wind in your size boat. Any aspect of a northerly wind will push wave heights to 15’.
All good comments in this post, but I'd like to just point out one or two things that I've seen in this thread and elsewhere that I think are worth saying to a 'newbie'.

1) 36 feet is not a small boat - if it is well-built and well-equipped. Boats of much smaller sizes regularly cross oceans, and 30-35' was the old 'normal' back when people were cruising the world without GPS and all manner of other gizmos we have today. Recently a 16 year-old girl sailed non-stop around the world around the southern ocean in a 34-footer.

2) Before I went cruising I spent a lot of time on cruisersforum, and the net effect was I was way more scared of everything than I needed to be (including the gulf stream.) Take your time, push yourself just a little bit harder every time you go out, and take a lot of the horror stories and warnings you hear with a pinch of salt.

On my way out I was scared of everything. On my way back from my cruise I crossed the gulf stream solo in a 15kn NE wind on my 33' boat and it was a piece of cake. No monstrous waves in sight. A little bumpy? yes. In any way dangerous? no. It was fun.

Good luck. Take it easy, and one step at a time, and you'll look back and laugh at how terrifying things might have seemed in the beginning.
Old 18-10-2012, 09:46   #19

Thank you sgtPLUCK!

It is appreciated. Actually, this is the way I see it. It is true that we are relatively new in the sailing adventure but I have some other knowledgment that could help. I am commercial pilot. I flew all around the world. So taking decision, read the weather, making nav, being one mille ahead of the boat, in the air or on the water there are lots of similar elements. Now, we are learning our new marin environment, learn from everybody and every trip. We'll take it easy and take it from there.

Cheers
Lapintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 21:14   #20

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentine View Post
Flysci has hit upon the essence of the trip. The best way to get to the BVI's is to head for Bermuda and then south along 65 deg. W to the islands. It will be a shorter and easier trip than taking multiple beatings going through the Bahamas. The mate and I did the Gentleman's Passage South and found that though one may be a gentleman at the beginning, one becomes a raving lunatic by the end.
Wear out the Keys and Bahamas first and then fly to the Islands.
I must agree with Jim. I did it both ways and I65 is the best route....no tolls, expressway all the way. Only danger is weather.....hehehe
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 06:48   #21

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtPluck View Post
All good comments in this post, but I'd like to just point out one or two things that I've seen in this thread and elsewhere that I think are worth saying to a 'newbie'.

1) 36 feet is not a small boat - if it is well-built and well-equipped. Boats of much smaller sizes regularly cross oceans, and 30-35' was the old 'normal' back when people were cruising the world without GPS and all manner of other gizmos we have today. Recently a 16 year-old girl sailed non-stop around the world around the southern ocean in a 34-footer.

2) Before I went cruising I spent a lot of time on cruisersforum, and the net effect was I was way more scared of everything than I needed to be (including the gulf stream.) Take your time, push yourself just a little bit harder every time you go out, and take a lot of the horror stories and warnings you hear with a pinch of salt.

On my way out I was scared of everything. On my way back from my cruise I crossed the gulf stream solo in a 15kn NE wind on my 33' boat and it was a piece of cake. No monstrous waves in sight. A little bumpy? yes. In any way dangerous? no. It was fun.

Good luck. Take it easy, and one step at a time, and you'll look back and laugh at how terrifying things might have seemed in the beginning.

I may have limited postings on this site but, I am certainly not a “newbie” to sailing. I again express caution to crossing the Gulf Stream with small children and limited experience of sailing. All I am saying is simply look for a good weather window and all will be fine. While I agree a 36’ boat can cross oceans, perhaps it’s not the best first step for a novice who would like the kids to have a great experience.

I agree with you about sites and magazines that scare the crap out of people. I spent many of my younger years reading Cruising World. Every month featured a new story about someone who almost died because of one thing or another. It is not my intent to scare someone. I too saw the horror stories and questioned if life on a boat was a worthwhile adventure. I have since found it is. Experience is gained by as you say “push yourself just a little bit harder every time you go out”

Mark

www.creampuff.us
mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 13:56   #22

Boat: Lagoon 450F

Hello everyone.. Newbie here for sure.. Planning BVI trip from Florida this fall.. I see this thread hasn't had any action for quite some time.. Anyone have new information or recommendations??? Would love to here from those with experience in making the sail..

Jeff
HereAndNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 14:33   #23

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereAndNow View Post
Hello everyone.. Newbie here for sure.. Planning BVI trip from Florida this fall.. I see this thread hasn't had any action for quite some time.. Anyone have new information or recommendations??? Would love to here from those with experience in making the sail..
What would you like to know?
mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 16:04   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerdos View Post
What would you like to know?
Hello Mark!

In reading the original posts in this thread, yours was one of just a few that I took the most from.. regarding waiting on good weather windows and such.. I know too many boaters that are in a rush for the destination and/or just can't relax long enough for the right weather and such..

I reached out to "Lapintos" the original post.. to see where their journey took them to.. Over many years of following forum posts, all too often there is no final follow up.. So I hoping to hear back, although they have not posted for some time now..

BTW, loved the name creampuff.co ,, Had a good laugh, because our boat (which is under purchase agreement now), has the unofficial name of Cream Puff... We've nick named it as such till we take possession... She is a Lagoon 450F

Mark, we intend to sail out of Ft Lauderdale in October.. and TBH I am at the early stages of planning.. From what I have read so far, it looks like it's a long day trip to Bimini, then down the Bahama's chain and through Turks and Caicos (day sails??).. Then an overnight to DR.. It seems as though my next read is "The gentleman's guide to passages south"... as a possible route to PR..

I have power and sail boat experience throughout my life.. Chartered in the protected waters of the BVI's several times and received my bare boat certs there.. Not afraid but also not a fool..

In any event, I have much to learn.. and any guidance from others with experience.. I would be most grateful for.. Thanks for your time..

Jeff
Old 20-05-2019, 17:07   #25
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
His opinion is that those who don't enjoy the journey are the ones who get restless and impatient, and go when the weather window is "good enough," rather than waiting until the weather looks just about perfect.

as Vant Sant said: it is the thorny path to windward. if you press on into the 20 knot trade winds and 6 foot seas in a 35 - 40 foot boat you are pleading for disaster
Old 14-01-2020, 10:38   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtPluck View Post

Have to agree 100%... Heard all the fear from all the online posts and books.. We left Ft Lauderdale Nov 6 2019 and arrived Dec 23 2019 in BVI.. Took our time and only moved when the weather was safe and winds/seas in our favor, which we were blessed as it was most of the time! Sailed majority of the time and motored when it made sense to.

Don't buy into the fear!

Jeff
Old 14-01-2020, 10:44   #27

Fear is created by those fearing. Precautionary notes, experiences are not fear unless you make it that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, route