Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2010, 17:34   #1

Boat: Ericson, 36-C, "Frankie"
S. from Ocean City, MD to Chesapeake - Good Anchorages ?

Is there any good anchorage to break up the 100 miles between Ocean City and the Chesapeake? I draw 6 feet 36 feet. Chincoteague and Great Machipongo Inlet have been suggested...
Fewpossesions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 17:56   #2
Marine Service Provider

Fewpossessions....

I once spent a month one week in Chincotegue. Never again

If you want to anchor, there is literally nowhere to go that does not see 2-3 kts of reversing tidal current. With any wind at all, it is miserable.

I can recommend Wachapregue (sp?) Enter on flooding tide with easterly breeze. There are standing waves on the ebb tide. Anchor inside to the south near the old CG station. Quiet, good holding,near the inletfor a quick departure next day.

Good Luck
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 19:26   #3

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet
keep going...

to Cape Charles. It is just around the point at the south end of the peninsula. there is depth there and it is protected from the ocean swells as it is on the bay side.
Old 13-09-2010, 20:03   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewpossesions View Post
Is there any good anchorage to break up the 100 miles between Ocean City and the Chesapeake? I draw 6 feet 36 feet. Chincoteague and Great Machipongo Inlet have been suggested...
I've done the trip many times and maintain a guide as well; a labor of love.

Sail Delmarva: Circumnavigation Guide Summary

Ocean City is doable at that draft and there are faculties. I don't care for it much. Nothing I want to do. Skip it in on-shore conditions; it can be wild. I generally run from Chincoteague to Cape May in a long day.

Chincoteague is suitable. At dead low tide you might see 8 feet in the channel and at least 3 feet more at high tide. No rough spots. There is a nice side tie up at the town docks with 30/50 amps and water. Yes, there is a current, but you are alongside and it is parallel to the boat; we've been there for days. The town green is there. Failing that (if someone gets it first - unlikely in this season since I have found the slot open 3 years in a row in-season) you can tie up at the Chesapeake Inn on the bulkhead for free, if you eat dinner, but no power. Don't try to get between the pilings at the town dock; it is VERY tough in a sailboat and I've seen people lose paint; go to the bulkhead just north of the slips. Yes, anchoring would be a challenge, so don't. These locations both have over 6 feet. There is not a lot to do, but it's relaxing. Groceries and laundry are close, but you will have to haul fuel in gerry cans (but only ~ 100 yards). Safe in a big on-shore swell, but I would not recommend it at night unless you know the route; the markers would be hard to spot.

Wachapreague will work. I have never seen less than 7 feet at low tide, but slack high tide would be better. There is nothing in town and getting there might be tough with your draft, but there is a good anchorage inside the inlet ( stay close to the CG station--there is a bar in the center of Horseshoe Lead that you won't clear. Don't try it in an on-shore swell. A mention is found in this report:

Sail Delmarva: Trip Report - 2010 Delmarva Circumnavigation

Great Machapingo is similar, bu the channel is deeper. There is no town to visit, but you can anchor easily to the south.

The inlets further south (Quinby and Sand Shoal) are too changeable for your boat. I would not try them.

When in doubt, call the Coast Guard Chinoteague Office; that is the HQ for the region. They gave me good information one year when I was doing the trip in a big post-hurricane swell.

Tags
anchor, anchorages