Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2023, 11:59   #31

Re: Safety in St. Lucia/St. Vincent

Article regarding the safest and most dangerous Caribbean islands

https://www.tripsavvy.com/safest-and...slands-4157732

The US State Department has issued travel warnings for various islands, but not for the USVI, go figure.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 12:15   #32

Boat: Edegewater 205 Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Nirvana View Post
We chartered a boat in St Lucia for this winter. We plan to sail to St. Vincent and the Grenadines. However, as we have been doing our research, it seems that this is not the safest part of the Caribbean to be sailing in. We've read reports of aggressive boat boys, even advice to lock up your boat at night lest you wake up to someone standing over you with a machete to your throat. My question is, just how dangerous is it really?

Search the CIA Travel Guide for current safety and demographic information worldwide.
pwelch5944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 16:49   #33

US State Department Travel Advisory

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...renadines.html

Saint Vincent and The Grenadines Travel Advisory

July 17, 2023 Saint Vincent and the Grenadines - Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions

Level One is the best of the four levels of advisory.

Go for it.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 19:44   #34

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Sorry for the thread drift - I hope you got the answer you needed re safety.

I am curious to know how long your charter will be, what it cost you, and how far and wide you plan to roam. Could be an awesome winter!
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 21:46   #35

Boat: Cal-40

I live next door on Martinique. I’ve sailed extensively around these islands. While myself I’ve never once had any problems I can tell you absolutely crime has been rising especially on St Lucia. It’s an unfortunate situation and many locals there are starting to become proactive in dealing with this because their livelihood depends upon a healthy tourist industry. At this point in time I would not hesitate to visit these islands and meet the wonderful folks there just use extra caution. The bad guys are looking for victims not contesting. If possible lift your dingy out at night, keep valuable things away form view, get several cheap solar garden lights to put around your deck at night to keep things illuminated, the local boat boys can actually be an asset as they keep an eye on what’s going on in the harbors and interacting with them is sometime not a bad idea. Crime can happen most anywhere, yes some spots are more sketchy then others but we can reduce this by making ourselves not an easy target. Get out there and explore that’s why you bought that boat in the first place right? I’ll save a spot in the anchorage for you....
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 22:05   #36

The truth is, it is getting rough in the area.
Vincy (St. Vincent) was even on the eightees /nientees not an easy safe overnight stay and St. Lucía is got greedy and violent.
I've been sailing these waters for over 30 years, without any personal issue. (Jah guides),
The nature is very beautiful and the people have a good heart, but time is changing
Tourists are the most easy way to make a little money, however.
I advice everybody to be aware and careful
IRIE
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 01:33   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpaabor View Post
Its not how thing "are" but how we perceive them. I was surprised to learn today that if you go by numbers in the US today you are twice as likely to kill yourself that get killed by someone else ...
According to the University of Pennsylvania Department of Criminology, quoting statistics from the Centers for Disease Control*:
What Are The Chances of Becoming A Homicide Victim?
https://crim.sas.upenn.edu/fact-chec...omicide-victim

* CDC Injury Data ➥ https://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 07:20   #38

Yes, there is some risk. And you can deal with the boat boys or skip those areas.

After 9 yrs in the E Caribbean, I only had one incident, a sneak thief came aboard in the Grenada down town anchorage. As I have a fast dingy, I usually anchored in the outside road stead anchorage. He quietly came aboard a stole some small cash items and left. He was very quiet.
Now let me tell you about a much more dangerous country. I was robbed at gunpoint on two separate occasions. This country is full of dangerous guns and people. It is called the United States of America. You must be much more careful there than the E. Caribbean. And it’s getting worse, much worse. And it is supposed to be an advanced, very developed country. I have cruised to and lived in over 25 countries and this one is one of the most dangerous. The USA. My country.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 13:32   #39

Boat: Leopard 45

On two similar trips from St Lucia to Grenada we had no negative experiences with the Boat Boys. We always moored in the larger bays with lots of cruising company. You will see the boat boys meeting you as you enter these bays with lobsters and fish to sell as well as suggestions to help you moor. I always thank them and tell them we are fine on our own and they quickly depart. If you happen to drop anchor in an ill advised spot they might re-appear with better suggestions. I usually take their advise as they know these bays well. If they are helpful in getting you a good moorage it can't hurt to give them a $5 spot. Most of these boat boys are hard working honest locals.
jim
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 17:50   #40

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Well to be honest most people everywhere are honest
It’s the other ones you need to watch out for
Old 14-09-2023, 14:34   #41

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We live aboard seven months each season. St Vincent is troublesome. Check into Bequai and hang out in the Grenadines. OK in St Lucia with caution. Rodney bay marina for long term stay or flying out.
Ha, well if the truth be known the only time I have ever been threatened was while anchored in Bequa I had a guy on a paddleboard tell me" I am coming back tonight and I am going to kill you". Apparently because I did not buy any of his products.
But he did not kill me.....
Maybe he was just having a bad day or he did not take his meds.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2023, 15:26   #42

Boat: Hunter 38

What are these "Boat Boys" of which you speak?
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety, St Lucia