Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2023, 14:07   #1

Safety in St. Lucia/St. Vincent

We chartered a boat in St Lucia for this winter. We plan to sail to St. Vincent and the Grenadines. However, as we have been doing our research, it seems that this is not the safest part of the Caribbean to be sailing in. We've read reports of aggressive boat boys, even advice to lock up your boat at night lest you wake up to someone standing over you with a machete to your throat. My question is, just how dangerous is it really?
Sailing Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 15:15   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Safety in St. Lucia/St. Vincent

https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/ has the best database
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 17:32   #3

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Been sailing these waters for many years.
Never had an issue.
Never felt in any danger.
Do take normal precautions. Do you lock your house doors at night?
Don't be the easy prey.
Lock your dingy, don't leave your cameras and valuable for everyone to see.
Seems it"s always the same stories
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 18:23   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...il-205845.html

One of many incidents recounted here…
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 14:02   #5

Boat: Northwind 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...il-205845.html

One of many incidents recounted here…
I must say that I think this is scaremongering. If you check you can see that there are few recent incidents. This story is from 2018.

I sailed around SVG in 2021 & 2022. We were there a couple of times for extended periods and sailed to and stayed on all of the islands including St. Vincent - we were anchored by Young Island near Kingstown when La Soufriere erupted.

Not once did we personally experience any crime or meet any other cruisers who had. I will readily confess that when we were in St. Vincent we didn’t anchor in any of the known “hotspots” and we didn’t anchor anywhere alone, but that’s common sense. We anchored most of the time in all of the islands other than Canouan, where we enjoyed the marina, and didn’t get hassled by boat boys. The only lost dinghy I heard of was in Carriacou and it was later found further down the beach.

If you check the database you will see that Cumberland Bay is a place to avoid but otherwise there have been very few incidents. https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/?s=St+Vincent+

You can be unlucky anywhere, but
take sensible precautions and you will be safer than you would be in many areas of London or New York
Paramotorgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 15:24   #6

Boat: Nauticat 43

We were in St Lucia for about a week about two months ago. We were one of the boats anchored furthest out in Rodney Bay. We were only out and about locally in the daytime. We kept our dinghy in the water all the time we were there with the outboard locked onto the dinghy transom with a padlock through the clamp screws, and the dinghy cabled to either our boat or the dinghy dock. We never had a problem. We never encountered any boat boys. Thankfully, we did get some visits from Gregory who came by in his boat covered with palm fronds and ladened with fresh fruit and vegetables. On one occasion, we even placed a special order for a red pepper which he didn't ordinarily stock. Next day, he had a beautiful pepper for us. Tying up is very convenient at the free dinghy dock all the way in by the marina restaurants. Customs and Immigration is located conveniently upstairs past the Marina Office.
Old 05-09-2023, 20:17   #7

Thank you for all of your replies!
Did you need to remove your outboard motor from the dinghy and lock it to the sailboat?
Sailing Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 20:22   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

It’s dangerous. I know of cruisers raped and murdered in both places. In St Lucia anchored right off the beach.

Bequia, Grenadines were okay for us. We were boarded in St Lucia off Pigeon Island but my eyes going wild and Tarzan roar was enough for him to depart

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 23:05   #9

Boat: Northwind 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It’s dangerous. I know of cruisers raped and murdered in both places. In St Lucia anchored right off the beach.
I’m calling this out as False News and Online Rubbish.

If this is true please provide links to the media coverage of the crimes and I will apologise.
Paramotorgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 04:04   #10

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Nirvana View Post
even advice to lock up your boat at night

Why does anyone ask this. Always lock your boat regardless of where you are. No discussion, no decision, no repercussions.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 06:54   #11

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Why does anyone ask this. Always lock your boat regardless of where you are. No discussion, no decision, no repercussions.
Define lock up your boat. Do you lock every door and hatch?

Many cruisers sleep with hatches open as not to wake up dead from the heat!
Old 06-09-2023, 06:54   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramotorgreg View Post
I’m calling this out as False News and Online Rubbish.

If this is true please provide links to the media coverage of the crimes and I will apologise.
What do I care about what you do? I think I got the reputation to post the truth and think you need to do the research yourself. Starts with the book “Pirates Aboard” that describes real cases incl. ones at these places.

The worst case in St Lucia was the wife was forced to watch her husband bleed out while being raped. You don’t realize what evil there is in this world.

Old 06-09-2023, 07:11   #13

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

Bequia, Grenadines were okay for us. We were boarded in St Lucia off Pigeon Island but my eyes going wild and Tarzan roar was enough for him to depart

Using this philosophy to rate safety, you would not venture anywhere in the United States.

From rural Texas to Chicago, there are terrible crimes committed every day. Read enough police blotters -- or watch a Fox News channel -- and you will be afraid to venture outside of your home.

A better measure would not be random accounts of lurid crimes -- they happen everywhere -- but crime statistics.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 07:43   #14

Boat: Oyster 55

I have been sailing that area for over 20 years and have never had a problem. Although some of the boat boys around the Peton's can be persistent, you through a respectful yet firm response can go a long way.

Not sure about rape and murder however just check the news in your local city and there will not be much difference, in fact probably more frequent.

One of the "forbidden" areas for cruisers has always been the north side of St. Vincent. This is where an american couple were murdered in the early 80's if I recall. Apparently there was a question of a drug deal gone bad but I really don't know.
Ironically Cumberland Bay on SV has always been one of my favorite anchorages. You anchor in 60-70 ft. then back down to tie your stern off against the shore and it's absolutely ethereal. The last time I was there some very friendly boat boys would come daily and bring fresh fruit for very reasonable prices. Always cordial and never persistent.

I do remember reading a story in the Caribbean Compass years ago that told the story of a German couple who while anchored there the husband died of a heart attack. Obviously the wife was grief stricken and did not know where to go or what to do yet every day she was visited by several people who brought her all kinds of food and tried providing as much comfort as they could. This continued until she was joined by friends . She commented that she was very grateful to the local people of Cumberland Bay and their empathy and generosity will remain in her memory forever.

Just as others have stated you do need street smarts in today's world wherever you go.

Wishing you a safe enjoyable trip.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 08:02   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The difference is that in these areas cruisers are being targeted. In St Vincent the chances that you, as cruiser, end up being a victim of crime is larger than getting out the same as you arrived. Certain spots theft is assured; hundreds of dinghies and outboard have been taken.

Tags
safety, St Lucia