Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2017, 08:17   #1

Boat: Beneteau 323
Sail GS Crossing with a NNE wind

I have yet to cruise the Bahamas in my sailboat, but will be in the no too distant future. I have crossed multiple (10) times in my powerboat, a Key West 20/20 WA. It is a 20 footer with a cuddy cabin and a 4 stroke Yamaha 150. I have had head seas both ways for most crossings. However, April of 2016, we were weathered in in Bimini with 25-30kt NNE winds for 4 days.

The winds diminished to 15, still out of the NNE and we decided to attempt the cross back with the plan to turn around if necessary. The crossing was indeed humbling with 6 ft seas generally abeam on top of an enormous, long-period NE fetch. Biggest concerns were to keep and eye out for breakers and to depower down waves to avoid broaching. We made it back safe and sound without incident.

My question is how may of you have crossed the Gulf Stream under sail in similar conditions? My thoughts have been that my Benetea 323 would have handled it fine, though it would be work. Again I am talking 15 knots or so. I know most advise against it, and it wouldn't be a particularly comfortable, but I think entirely doable.
Capt. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, wind