Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2023, 09:01   #1

Sailing from Cuba to Bahamas — looking for route advice

I'm planning to sail my centreboard monohull (draft 4.5) from Varadero to Georgetown in November, and later in the season make my way to Luperon. I'd like to know whether it might be a good idea to sail north from Cuba to Andros Island, going through a cut to the Tongue of the Ocean, from Cayo Guillermo to Andros. It looks OK but it's hard to know how to read Navionics on this. There are many rocks.
I'd also like to hear about best routes from Georgetown to Luperon.
Thanks!
Bluenoserumlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2023, 07:42   #2

Boat: Oyster 55
Re: Sailing from Cuba to Bahamas — looking for route advice

I see no one has responded so I will give you my 2 cents.
I don't think there is anything wrong with your plan by passing north of Andros
Just be careful in the Stream that your passage is not in a northerly.

Most importantly I recommend anyone cruising the Bahamas is to buy the Explorer Chart Kit because despite a lot of coral heads on the passage from Andros to the Exumas "most" are deep enough that should not give you a problem but you need to know where the shallow ones are and the Explorer Charts are a must.
There are many passages through the Exuma chain and you can take your pick as where to go through.

If the truth be known I have only sailed the southern coast of Cuba and have never been to Luperon but have sailed by the DR on occasion by passing east of the Turks and Caicos. Should be a simple passage.
Also after passing Long Island to the east one could head in the direction to the east of Ackins and Great Inagua then to Luperon but I have no experience.

I am sure some on this forum may be able to respond with actual experience.

I have cleared in Georgetown without stopping along the way but there may be closer places. Just check places to clear in to give you a better picture. I have also stopped in Fresh Creek on the north of Andros but not sure if you can clear in there and I was already cleared.
Hope this helps a little.
Wishing you a safe passage.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2023, 09:07   #3

Re: Sailing from Cuba to Bahamas — looking for route advice

Thank you very much.
I will get those chart books.
I learned from a post in a Facebook group that the passage north to Andros is do-able, but that the passage East along the north coast of Cuba to the jumping off place is difficult, and that I should consider instead running up to Bimini and begin my easting from there.
Bluenoserumlvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, Bahamas, Cuba, route, sail, sailing